RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
This seems to defeat the purpose of why manufacturers went back to cartridge-type filters. Now we must throw away a perfectly good housing with every filter change.
I miss the days of the simple spin-on filters.

Kind of goes against the "eco" part of "eco diesel".
This reminded me of the emissions lawsuit. One of the claims was that "Eco" was misleading to potential buyers. People thought they were getting something that was "green" and good for the environment. FCA said that "Eco" didn't represent "green", it represented fuel efficiency. FCA went on to prove their point by saying they didn't color the EcoDiesel badging green, lol.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I’ve always taken eco to mean economical not eco friendly.
I agree. The same for the Ecoboost engine. Ford said the Ecoboost name was a result of boosting efficiency and increasing fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Reactions: ram19

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree. The same for the Ecoboost engine. Ford said the Ecoboost name was a result of boosting efficiency and increasing fuel economy.
In that case the plaintiffs would have a good case, because the EcoBust engines have never proven to provide additional fuel economy in any vehicle Ford has installed them in. They run dirty and sooty due to direct injection, and they drink gasoline.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I miss the days of the simple spin-on filters.

This reminded me of the emissions lawsuit. One of the claims was that "Eco" was misleading to potential buyers. People thought they were getting something that was "green" and good for the environment. FCA said that "Eco" didn't represent "green", it represented fuel efficiency. FCA went on to prove their point by saying they didn't color the EcoDiesel badging green, lol.
I still have my 2014 Ecodiesel grand Cherokee and I’m pretty sure the Ecodiesel badging IS green

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Is dieselfiltersonline.com still the best place to buy oil filters for the 2020+ EcoDiesel? If so, I'm about to order a few.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Eugene, is that the factory housing and filter?

Or, is it that the conversion thing sold by ID parts (which I understand is a Mopar part)

Nice to see the UFI logo on there, UFI filters can be bought with that ID parts conversion kit. I plan on using a Mopar housing with filter the first drain and purchasing the conversion kit to compare thereto.
I'll update accordingly.

Is dieselfiltersonline.com still the best place to buy oil filters for the 2020+ EcoDiesel? If so, I'm about to order a few.
I just bought one. 15 bucks to ship to AK .... but that went down the more you purchase, about 6-8 each additional filter. Hopefully shipping is cheaper for you.

As noted above, i plan to see how the conversion kits stack up to oem.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Eugene, is that the factory housing and filter?

Or, is it that the conversion thing sold by ID parts (which I understand is a Mopar part)

Nice to see the UFI logo on there, UFI filters can be bought with that ID parts conversion kit. I plan on using a Mopar housing with filter the first drain and purchasing the conversion kit to compare thereto.
I'll update accordingly.

I just bought one. 15 bucks to ship to AK .... but that went down the more you purchase, about 6-8 each additional filter. Hopefully shipping is cheaper for you.

As noted above, i plan to see how the conversion kits stack up to oem.
thats what was originally on my truck from factory

·
Registered
325 Posts
So the filter does pop click out?
I saved my two filters I changed out.
im going to see if the filter clicks in and out of the housing that way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They put the drain plug in a great place on these Gen 3s too....if you are going to redesign the engine....why not add a spin on filter? It is difficult to believe a metal spin on filter is less expensive to manufacture than a plastic housing with a tiny paper filter inside....and it is made in China too!!! Gonna write the CEO of FCA and ask him if he thinks Jiffy Lube will be available to Gen 3 drivers with this arrangement. Just spent $99.68 at the Jeep dealer so I could change my oil on this new setup. How are you supposed to read "do not remove" when the cartridge is covered in black oil?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Guys what is the latest and greatest on the oil filters for the 3rd gen eco? I need to do my first oil change. I see dieselfilters online has the best price on the mopar one. That filter retrofit kit at idparts is no longer available. Is anyone else making an aftermarket one yet like Napa?

·
Registered
930 Posts
The new filter is the same size but is claimed to filter more efficiently. One technically could use a filter from a second gen with an old cap from what Ive heard. But give it time the price well come down.
There's a guy on the ED Facebook group who posted pics of a 2nd gen engine that the dealer installed a 3rd gen filter/cap.

It certainly looks like filter/cap combo is forward or backward compatible. Rock Auto sells 2nd gen caps cheap then could keep using the Malhe filter.

·
Registered
253 Posts
There's a guy on the ED Facebook group who posted pics of a 2nd gen engine that the dealer installed a 3rd gen filter/cap.

It certainly looks like filter/cap combo is forward or backward compatible. Rock Auto sells 2nd gen caps cheap then could keep using the Malhe filter.
There's also a lengthy TSB that was sent to all the dealerships warning them DO NOT use a Gen 2 oil filter on a Gen 3 engine. The bypass valve and internals were redesigned on the filter and cap, which is why they started making them as a one-piece unit in hopes that people would realize it's a new design.

Reactions: Arvid
81 - 100 of 100 Posts