RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one still isn't apple's to apple's due to different trim levels. Sounds like we should see some more in depth testing in the next few days.

The big take away for me is it's looking like the gen-3 ED still has throttle lag similar to the gen-2's.:mad:

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
Kind of a subjective report but still good to learn things.

Being subjective means there is really no right or wrong. I like the smaller screen in the Ram. It is not as much of a distraction from the task of driving. That is the #1 thing drivers should be doing, not playing with large video screens.

That hula girl was to give an idea of ride quality, though a major distraction. My opinions to others that my personal Ecodiesel was a bouncy ride sure showed up in all the bouncing the Ram in the video did with that hula girl showing it.

As for the lag ... time and reporting from owners will clear that up as production models get out there for owners to report. These pre-production test models may not be the final word. At least, I hope not.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm not really a fan of those 2 reviewers but I've seen more than a couple of youtube reviews and GM's clean slate design consistently shines. The ED's lag looked ridiculous.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I should add the GM engineer said the new design's intake plumbing is innovative with a shorter plumbing distance giving less volume/columns of air to push and it significantly reduces turbo lag.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I get a sense that the Ford 3.0 is trailing both engines performance right now.

My hope that the new gen ED motors have eliminated all the spun bearing weaknesses of the first and second gen. FCA should give Vern a new ED to test for a year or two.

My concern is that GM have gotten their 3.0 right first time.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Admittedly diesels aren't about 1/4 mile times but this test still isolates potential issues when merging into traffic and avoiding oncoming vehicles at the +- 90 degree positions. Hopefully the red Ram is a one-off under-performer otherwise it sure looks like gen 2 lag lives on in the gen 3.

The ike gauntlet comparison should be equally revealing.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I drove a Chevy 3.0 a few days ago at the local dealer. It seems to go well and is close to my 2014 ED for ride quality. But I am not at all keen on the belt driven oil pump on the back side of the power plant. And GM quoting 150000 mile service interval for that item. Oil change interval appears to be 7500 miles on the Chevy, so 25% less than the ED and half of the Cummins...I await the 2020 ED to give it a try. My extended warranty runs out in May 2020 so I have a bit of time to see how both do in the market.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've been gathering info from the local dealer on the Chevy. Interesting bits on service. Oil change interval is 7500 miles so 25% less than the ED but it requires 3 quarts less oil and uses a standard cheap spin on filter. But the oil is a special 0w20 that is twice the price of the Rotela T6 for ED. Chevy also calls for trans fluid changes at 45000 mile intervals. Looks like filters are a lot less than the ED filter/pan combo, unless one switches to the aftermarket ZF plan with a replaceable filter. I used 75K intervals for the Ram trans service. Assuming 200000 miles, which is what I've put on my 2014 ED, the Chevy would run me close to $1000 more for routine engine and trans services, doing it all myself. And that is without whatever the cost will be to replace the rubber oil pump drive belt on the Chevy, which is clearly stated as required at 150K in the paint schedule.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Today the local Chevy dealer I've been chatting with finally managed to sort of figure out the oil pump belt replacement cost. Sort of because they could find the labor cost but don't see any part pricing yet. Labor would be a touch over $1800. Book calls for R&R of tranny and pulling timing cover off back of motor. So that now pushes maintenance costs to more like $3k above the Ram ED for my 200k mile swag. A safe bet would be a couple cents per mile more on the main front. And i'd have to go with 4WD on the Chevy for adequate towing capacity with the 2WD Duramax 1500 only rated at 7800 lbs.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Today the local Chevy dealer I've been chatting with finally managed to sort of figure out the oil pump belt replacement cost. Sort of because they could find the labor cost but don't see any part pricing yet. Labor would be a touch over $1800. Book calls for R&R of tranny and pulling timing cover off back of motor. So that now pushes maintenance costs to more like $3k above the Ram ED for my 200k mile swag. A safe bet would be a couple cents per mile more on the main front. And i'd have to go with 4WD on the Chevy for adequate towing capacity with the 2WD Duramax 1500 only rated at 7800 lbs.
That seems to be backward of the norm. Always thought 2wd versions have higher tow capacities because they are lighter in weight. Interesting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
That seems to be backward of the norm. Always thought 2wd versions have higher tow capacities because they are lighter in weight. Interesting...
That is usually the case, however IIRC the truck they tested has a 3.23 (or similar) rear end which significantly affects the tow capacity. to get the 9300 max rating for the chevy you would need the lowest (numerically highest) rear end ratio that chevy offers, similar to the 3.92 offered by ram. Probably in an extended cab, long bed 2wd configuration

·
Registered
244 Posts
GM Fleet order info shows the 2WD 3.0 diesels to be among the lowest towing capacity of the various 1500 combinations. The V-8 with same axle ratio in 2WD is rated for 2000 lbs higher towing!???

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
GM Fleet order info shows the 2WD 3.0 diesels to be among the lowest towing capacity of the various 1500 combinations. The V-8 with same axle ratio in 2WD is rated for 2000 lbs higher towing!???
Perhaps same as the Gen II RAM? It might just be that GM hasn't figured out the cooling as of yet.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Unless a 4x4 truck gets a different cooling system, it isn't cooling capacity. I suspect something in drive train as the 3.0 diesel in 4x4 is rated 1500 lbs more towing capacity than the 2WD version!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts