RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From an ad on Craigslist: "For sale is a 2018 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel tradesman. .... At around 32,000 miles the engine was replaced under warranty with the latest generation Ecodiesel engine, so the engine only has around 8,000 miles on it - work was performed by Autonation Dodge in Roseville."

So I asked: "I'm curious what happened to your first engine, as I have an EcoDiesel. BTW, I have read that your engine could only be replaced with the same generation--it would be interesting if that was not the case."

And got this answer: "The first engine randomly just started making what I can best describe as a loud clacking noise. It had the timing of a valve tap but much more solid and harsh. I took it in and all they would tell me was that there were metal shards in the oil pan and the engine was toast. Very interesting about the generation thing. When they were swapping this out it took longer because, at least what they told me, was at first they ordered a replacement engine but it was the same generation so they re-ordered and waited for the newer engine. That’s what they said at least. I’m not sure how I would confirm."

What is the easiest thing for a non-mechanic to check to see if he has the Gen 3 engine? My guess is that the dealer was just stalling with that story.

·
Registered
13,920 Posts
The newest engine does not fit into the older "classic" trucks. Way too many changes in electronics and mounting to be a reasonable idea.

Many have thought of this and none have made it work. Your new engine is a new - old model.

·
Super Moderator
3,647 Posts
Sales guy likely got what someone told him misconstrued. Likely it was the latest updates for motor that goes in the 4th body. My understanding is that the new engine from the 5th gen Ram body does not fit in the 4th gen body. At any rate 8k motor hardly time for someone to damage it much with 60k of warranty left. Yep that's a buy tune and drive for the guy who can score a deal on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts