RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would assume some of you that have brand new Gen 3 2020 ED's out there also came from the earlier Gen1 and 2 engines the 2014-2019 models. Any impressions between the two engines?

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
There is no Gen1 in the US.

There are many Gen3 threads with feedback if you want to take a look through them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would assume some of you that have brand new Gen 3 2020 ED's out there also came from the earlier Gen1 and 2 engines the 2014-2019 models. Any impressions between the two engines?

Thanks for posting!
I have an gen 2 and gen 3. Night and day difference. There really is too much to compare. When I haven’t driven my gen 2 for a while, when I get in it, it seems like a clunky old engine compared to the new one. My Gen2 is in a 2014 Grand Cherokee 4x2.My Gen3 is a crew cab 4x4 Laramie and I average 4mpg better in my truck. Quieter, more powerful, smoother. You get the idea.

·
Registered
19 Posts
First post in a while. Years. Here's my recent experience for what it is worth: I've owned a 2014 Longhorn, a 2018 Longhorn, a 2014 Grand Cherokee, and just took ownership of a 2020 Longhorn. All the vehicles were Eco's. I ordered the 2020 Longhorn on 2/14/20. It was at the dealer on 3/12/20. So, I got it prior to the production stoppage. MSRP right at $75K...dealer discount brought that to $65K. Got $5,000 in incentives which brought the total price down $15K from MSRP to $60K. Trade in was $34K on the 2018 Longhorn which had 32K miles on it, but close to perfect other than that. All the dealers (7) I spoke to, to get prices, etc. from, told me that when you order a vehicle to get built, you get the incentives/rebates that are in effect at the time of closing on the truck. The dealer I bought the truck from included $2K in incentives on the buyer's order sheet when the truck was ordered. I got the rest of the $5K incentive (an additional $3K) when I closed on the truck. The dealer I went with required a $1K binder which was non-refundable.

My limited experience with the 2020: I am not a mechanic. I am a 73 yr old driver who last worked on personal cars when I had a 1972 Corvette in 1980.. I'm more into comfort and ease of care. To me this 2020 Longhorn is vastly superior to the other Longhorns in quiet ride, lightness of steering, smoothness of ride, lack of engine noise, and lack of throttle lag. Interior fit and finish is exceptional as is the intuitiveness of the electronic systems, of which there are many.
My only concern is that because the 2020 has the multi-functional tailgate, the bed has 2 corner brackets (front interior corners of the bed to increase rigidity) that are in the way of a drop-in bedliner, and, also may be in the way of a hard tonneau cover that is flush with the rails.

One last comment on my experience with the Eco's: I owned the 2014 Longhorn for 4 years and 90K miles, never had a regen notice come on. Owned the 2018 Longhorn for 2 years and 32K miles. Never had a regen notice come on. I owned the 2014 Grand Cherokee for 4 years and 94K miles. Had lots of regen notices come on. The Cherokee was mostly driven around town. The Longhorns were driven around town, but, at least once a month they were driven on the highway for 400 miles/6 hours each way on 800 mile total round trips at highway speeds (70-80). This seems like good anecdotal evidence that the highway trips helped the engines.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm not happy with the Gen 3 powertrain calibration at all. But, guys with Gen 2s tell me those are way worse, so I guess I should not complain.

·
Registered
36 Posts
First post in a while. Years. Here's my recent experience for what it is worth: I've owned a 2014 Longhorn, a 2018 Longhorn, a 2014 Grand Cherokee, and just took ownership of a 2020 Longhorn. All the vehicles were Eco's. I ordered the 2020 Longhorn on 2/14/20. It was at the dealer on 3/12/20. So, I got it prior to the production stoppage. MSRP right at $75K...dealer discount brought that to $65K. Got $5,000 in incentives which brought the total price down $15K from MSRP to $60K. Trade in was $34K on the 2018 Longhorn which had 32K miles on it, but close to perfect other than that. All the dealers (7) I spoke to, to get prices, etc. from, told me that when you order a vehicle to get built, you get the incentives/rebates that are in effect at the time of closing on the truck. The dealer I bought the truck from included $2K in incentives on the buyer's order sheet when the truck was ordered. I got the rest of the $5K incentive (an additional $3K) when I closed on the truck. The dealer I went with required a $1K binder which was non-refundable.

My limited experience with the 2020: I am not a mechanic. I am a 73 yr old driver who last worked on personal cars when I had a 1972 Corvette in 1980.. I'm more into comfort and ease of care. To me this 2020 Longhorn is vastly superior to the other Longhorns in quiet ride, lightness of steering, smoothness of ride, lack of engine noise, and lack of throttle lag. Interior fit and finish is exceptional as is the intuitiveness of the electronic systems, of which there are many.
My only concern is that because the 2020 has the multi-functional tailgate, the bed has 2 corner brackets (front interior corners of the bed to increase rigidity) that are in the way of a drop-in bedliner, and, also may be in the way of a hard tonneau cover that is flush with the rails.

One last comment on my experience with the Eco's: I owned the 2014 Longhorn for 4 years and 90K miles, never had a regen notice come on. Owned the 2018 Longhorn for 2 years and 32K miles. Never had a regen notice come on. I owned the 2014 Grand Cherokee for 4 years and 94K miles. Had lots of regen notices come on. The Cherokee was mostly driven around town. The Longhorns were driven around town, but, at least once a month they were driven on the highway for 400 miles/6 hours each way on 800 mile total round trips at highway speeds (70-80). This seems like good anecdotal evidence that the highway trips helped the engines.

that's a great deal, which dealer did you work with? the best deal I can find locally if I order one, offered me 7500 dealer discount and plus whatever incentives available when the truck arrives.

I'm debating also about the multifunction gate, it seems like a nice feature, but I wonder also if the bracing up front will be in the way if I wanted to install Leer Canopy. Although the front bracing looks like it would be easy to remove, I'm guessing if you don't put any weight on any of the doors while it's split open individually, it should be allright?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm not happy with the Gen 3 powertrain calibration at all. But, guys with Gen 2s tell me those are way worse, so I guess I should not complain.
I wish there was some way for you to drive an AEM gen 2 truck, that lag I am sure is wayyyy worse.

·
Super Moderator
3,256 Posts
I'm impressed with what I have seen so far with respects to the 3.21 gen 3 mileage vs the gen 2 with tune. Its seems a solid 2 mpg better on average which is impressive to me. Not enough solid numbers and comparisons yet but just what I have seen so far. Also no more hot running towing a TT got to love that. Still looking forward to a tune to make 300 HP and have a cruise control that works as outstanding as with the GDE tune well and an engine brake.

·
Registered
13,533 Posts
I'm impressed with what I have seen so far with respects to the 3.21 gen 3 mileage vs the gen 2 with tune. Its seems a solid 2 mpg better on average which is impressive to me. Not enough solid numbers and comparisons yet but just what I have seen so far. Also no more hot running towing a TT got to love that. Still looking forward to a tune to make 300 HP and have a cruise control that works as outstanding as with the GDE tune well and an engine brake.
Other than initial pre-production tests, have not seen any reports of owners pulling large trailers up major grades and long distances with the Gen 3. Man if it truly runs a lot cooler that is a major improvement and reason for many to unload their Gen 2's for better towing.

·
Registered
275 Posts
When comparing my 2020 gen-3 to my stock 2014 gen-2. The 2020 gen-3 is just a nicer & more pleasurable truck to drive in all aspects. I don't have any of the throttle response issues that one member mentions. I liked my 2014 but it had terrible dead petal throttle lag until I bought the GDE tune for it. I know the difference between the way the two stock trucks drive and IMO the gen-3 is by far the superior truck for drivability.

As for the bed corner braces on the split tail gate beds. When I ordered a leer cap for mine I asked about the braces being in the way. The cap dealer called leer and asked about it & leer said all you'll need to do is trim the cap flange which over hangs the bed rail. To my surprise when the cap came in it was already trimmed from the factory for a perfect fit. The only thing funky was you couldn't use the front hold down bolt locations and had to use one of the old style cap clamps further back on the rail. When I got the cap home I got to looking and realized that I could use the original mounting hole in the cap if I drilled & tapped a hole in the bed brace. The brace is aluminum and took the threads well. I now have a much cleaner mounting hold down & life is good.

As far a drop in bed liner goes. I would rather trim & modify the liner to fit rather than removing the corner braces. The braces are there for a reason. The liner is just plastic and easily modified.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Picked up our 2020 Laramie ED the end of last week. It is smoother, quieter and generally more refined than our 2014 Big Horn which was highly optioned so other than not having leather interior, both are nearly the same equipment wise.

The Gen 3 has better throttle response than our Gen 2 with the stock AEM ECU or the GDE ECU. In 1200 or so miles, my initial fuel economy is better than the 2014 in it's early days but DEF consumption looks to be considerably higher.

The assorted modern electrics like Car Play, multiple USB ports, 12V socket on top of dash, 110 outlet in Rambox are nice additions. I'm disappointed the 2020 no longer has the folding load boards under the rear seat as I used those a lot in the 14.

One area I'd posted a question on but don't recall seeing a reply is headlight performance. We test drove a 2020 Big Horn at night and the headlights were just as bad as those in our 2014. I am thrilled to say the Laramie headlights a good on both low & high beam with decent side fill on low beam, which improves more with fog lights on, which are also much better than those on the 14. These are the best headlights I've experienced in a 2014 or newer truck from Ram, Ford or GM.

So my initial impressions are quite positive.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Picked up our 2020 Laramie ED the end of last week. It is smoother, quieter and generally more refined than our 2014 Big Horn which was highly optioned so other than not having leather interior, both are nearly the same equipment wise.

The Gen 3 has better throttle response than our Gen 2 with the stock AEM ECU or the GDE ECU. In 1200 or so miles, my initial fuel economy is better than the 2014 in it's early days but DEF consumption looks to be considerably higher.

The assorted modern electrics like Car Play, multiple USB ports, 12V socket on top of dash, 110 outlet in Rambox are nice additions. I'm disappointed the 2020 no longer has the folding load boards under the rear seat as I used those a lot in the 14.

One area I'd posted a question on but don't recall seeing a reply is headlight performance. We test drove a 2020 Big Horn at night and the headlights were just as bad as those in our 2014. I am thrilled to say the Laramie headlights a good on both low & high beam with decent side fill on low beam, which improves more with fog lights on, which are also much better than those on the 14. These are the best headlights I've experienced in a 2014 or newer truck from Ram, Ford or GM.

So my initial impressions are quite positive.
Interesting, the folding load floors in the older model were to make up for the lack of a flat floor. Since the new model has a flat floor I didn't think that would be missed. They do offer a fold out storage bin in the new truck.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts