RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something had to have gone wrong on TFL's latest test of the Gen-3 ED MPG's. Granted it is a quad-cab two wheel drive which should be a good mileage maker, but IMO their empty MPG numbers can't be right. I'll be watching for the follow-up run.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Just think if we could just tell the EPA to stick it, it would probably be closer to reality than the number they were thinking lol.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The last run result was probably a fill-up anomaly. We can probably can rule out a weather anomaly creating a tailwind for the entire loop as the dashboard's mpg would have much been higher.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Mileage aside, I didn't realize they were putting a 33 gallon tank in the 2020. With the highway mileage on my 17, that means I could be pushing almost 900 miles a tank! With their 40 mpg unloaded, that pushes it up to 1300 miles.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been thinking about this some more. Either they have already run the second loop & confirmed the numbers "Why would they have posted this if they hadn't confirmed them?" or they did have a screw-up at the pump & maybe used a different nozzle that clicks off differently. The follow-up should be interesting.

·
Registered
104 Posts
agreed. they definitely had to either do a re-test (and not post yet to generate more web views + revenues) or they have anecdotal driving history with their time with the truck to not be embarrassed later on by a competitive journalistic outlet....

I'd be shocked if FCA did not have some bare minimum stipulations & controls over what can be disseminated on a pre-production vehicle that is done using a courtesy loaner. FCA has an interest in ensuring their brand is discussed accurately.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I also wonder if they were limited to the amount of time they got to spend behind the wheel. If my numbers were that far off of where I anticipated, I would have repeated the test right then.

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
That is flat out nuts. What is impressive to me is both the fuel mileage trailering and that 33 gallon tank. Oh my I would sure want one like that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also wonder if they were limited to the amount of time they got to spend behind the wheel. If my numbers were that far off of where I anticipated, I would have repeated the test right then.
IMO to be accurate they would have to do the re-test on the same day. That's the only way they could have as close as possible the same road, wind & weather conditions as the first test.

Captainmal: I'm with you on the 33 gallon tank. The one I order will definitely have the big tank.

You've got to give the TFL guys some credit though. They sure have all of us talking about their video & waiting to see the follow-up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That is flat out nuts. What is impressive to me is both the fuel mileage trailering and that 33 gallon tank. Oh my I would sure want one like that.
The 33 Gallon tank is a big thing I miss from my last truck with a hemi. That extra bit of fuel in the eco will mean I wont have to stop for fuel once when visiting friends in the next province (1000km total) or when I make my most frequent work trip (1200km each way), awesome.

·
Registered
747 Posts
You've got to give the TFL guys some credit though. They sure have all of us talking about their video & waiting to see the follow-up.
No doubt that's their goal for increased advertising revenue. Some might argue it's better to confirm the sensational before publishing a video.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts