RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Arvid, If conditions are just right, I can smell it in my 2017, gen 2, I guess. When the regen happens, the DPF gets very hot! Perhaps you remember, a few years ago the Ford Powerstrokes were shooting flames out their exhausts. I can only smell mine if Im stopped in traffic while a regen happens.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I only smell it when in stop and go traffic of when I pull off the highway into local roads at a much slower speed.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Let me first say you are the rare dude that places a Gen 3 Ecodiesel question on the older, Gen 2 section. That informs those here that Gen 3 stinks just like Gen 2 and probably all DPF engines. When that regeneration is going on the extreme heat, mine used to show upwards of 1,400*F, sure makes things stink.

Just remember, you do the smelling, the DPF does the stinking. It's kind of like a goat. Goats must not smell but they sure stink.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry for reviving a 2 month old thread... My third gen experienced its first regen at ~460 miles. The smell wasn't nearly as bad as my 2015 model, and reminded me of hot wax/parafin. I could smell it even with all windows up and HVAC off, although not as bad as with the windows open. This truck's predecessor, a 2017 2500, didn't smell at all when in regen. Only key to knowing when it happened was a noticeably louder ticking from the exhaust system. Too bad it would vent unfiltered exhaust at random...

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
v8318cid , this being a brand new truck , the first time the exhaust will go above 1100F you have
a few items under the truck that are going to feel the heat and smell funny ,
burnt paint is the smell I get with regens ...
...nothing like the powerstroke mentioned by Hydrex .....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don’t even notice mine anymore. Either it doesn’t smell as much or I’ve gotten used to it and don't notice.
coming up on 20k miles

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had my second regen at around 810 miles (yes, I know, I do a lot of in town driving; my 2500 burned me once already for that). The smell was still there, but nothing horrible. My first gen, however, got worse as the miles racked up, and didn't smell like hot rubber, paint, or even diesel. It was just odd... Always seemed to creep in through the rear window for some reason too.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had my second regen at around 810 miles (yes, I know, I do a lot of in town driving; my 2500 burned me once already for that). The smell was still there, but nothing horrible. My first gen, however, got worse as the miles racked up, and didn't smell like hot rubber, paint, or even diesel. It was just odd... Always seemed to creep in through the rear window for some reason too.
Actually that regen interval is quite improved over the Gen2's if that is primarily city driving. Typically regen mileage on a Gen2 under those conditions would be 150-250 miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts