RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really enjoy much of the discussion on the forum and I have committed to posting a few more of my trips. Not saying what I do is right, but it gives some perspective to others that are interested.

Truck: 2017, Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 275/60R20 General Grabber HTS XL, Big Horn (stock grill), 3.55, 4x4 (GVW ~6000 lbs with 2 pax, Front: 3600, Drive: 2400)
Travel Trailer: 6400 lbs with propane, batteries, blocks, chocks, etc (no water, food, personal gear)
E2 round bar WDH.

CAT Scale driving out of town full loaded with kids, dog, gear, food, and some water in the tanks:

Steer: 3740
Drive: 3620
Trailer: 7210
Total: 14,570

Pocatello, ID to West Glacier, MT (~500 miles) - via I-15, I-90, US 12, State 141, 200, 83, 35 for those looking at the map. Weather: 60-80F, winds light <8 mph. Max Speeds 65-70 mph on interstate. 55-60 on state highways.
Computer calculated fuel mileage=12.9 mpg over the 529 towing miles.
Oil Temps: 220-240 (245 Max, 5th Gear, 3100 rpm)
Coolant Temps: 210-220 (225 Max)

5 days in and around Glacier National Park - Computer calculated fuel mileage 26.7 mpg

West Glacier, MT to Pocatello, ID - via State 35, I-90, I-15, eventually detoured onto some County roads to US 91 for the final 70 miles. Weather 60-85F, Winds strong 15-20 mph sustained, gusts to 30+ mph (head, quartering head, and cross)
Computer calculated fuel mileage=10.1 over the 500 miles
Oil Temps: 240-250 (257 Max, 5th Gear, 3100 rpm)
Coolant Temps: 215-230 (230 Max)

The winds became progressively worse as I traveled south. By the time I reached the I-90 & I-15 interchange they were really starting to pick up and they were nearly a direct head wind. I was able to maintain about 50 mph and keep temps in check on the long climbs between I-90 to south of Dillon, MT.

Between Red Rock, MT and Roberts, ID I was only able to maintain about 55 mph (4th and 5th gear) and oil temps climbed steadily to 255-257F. Speeds varied to keep oil temps below 257F. After 100 miles of fighting the head winds >25mph, I dropped off I-15 at Roberts and used county roads and state roads with more shelter from the winds. Once I dropped off the exposed interstate I was able to maintain 55-60 mph with oil temps steady in the 230F range.

Control was never an issue despite the length and frontal area of the trailer, gusts approaching 30 mph. Many of the semi trucks on the road had more wind sway than my rig, especially the double trailers.

I didn't get any pics of the rig on the road, but Glacier was an awesome trip.

IMG_5265.JPG IMG_5266.JPG IMG_5264.JPG

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
3,647 Posts
Great report & pics! Plenty of weight on the truck & steer in fact more on the truck axles than trailer axles to help make a stable rig. Don’t know how much of the 1360 pounds that was put on your truck was from tongue weight but obviously it was enough. The next guy on the TT forums pulls the same trailer with the same truck and says it was a white knuckle ride not enough truck for the trailer. Then the parrots chirp in and tell him his payload is too low and that he needs to trade it for a dually. :rolleyes: You didn’t say much about normal cruise speed when not running into wind but it one I like to add if I talk about mileage.

Your temps were all fine. I swapped my Big Horn grill for an SLT grill (tradesmen honeycomb but with chrome surround & crosshair) and it noticeably helped with temps. GDEs thermostat is supposed to help also but I haven’t got one yet. Two easy mods anyone can do at home. I’ve also ran many sets of that same tire with good success both in the 275/60/20 & 275/55/20. Do you have a tune & turbo brake?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Impressed with the trip data but even more impressed with the picture of that Ram.
99.999% of the population will never see that opportunity - a rare shot indeed.

Reactions: marahee7

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I really enjoy much of the discussion on the forum and I have committed to posting a few more of my trips. Not saying what I do is right, but it gives some perspective to others that are interested.

Truck: 2017, Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 275/60R20 General Grabber HTS XL, Big Horn (stock grill), 3.55, 4x4 (GVW ~6000 lbs with 2 pax, Front: 3600, Drive: 2400)
Travel Trailer: 6400 lbs with propane, batteries, blocks, chocks, etc (no water, food, personal gear)
E2 round bar WDH.

CAT Scale driving out of town full loaded with kids, dog, gear, food, and some water in the tanks:

Steer: 3740
Drive: 3620
Trailer: 7210
Total: 14,570

Pocatello, ID to West Glacier, MT (~500 miles) - via I-15, I-90, US 12, State 141, 200, 83, 35 for those looking at the map. Weather: 60-80F, winds light <8 mph. Max Speeds 65-70 mph on interstate. 55-60 on state highways.
Computer calculated fuel mileage=12.9 mpg over the 529 towing miles.
Oil Temps: 220-240 (245 Max, 5th Gear, 3100 rpm)
Coolant Temps: 210-220 (225 Max)

5 days in and around Glacier National Park - Computer calculated fuel mileage 26.7 mpg

West Glacier, MT to Pocatello, ID - via State 35, I-90, I-15, eventually detoured onto some County roads to US 91 for the final 70 miles. Weather 60-85F, Winds strong 15-20 mph sustained, gusts to 30+ mph (head, quartering head, and cross)
Computer calculated fuel mileage=10.1 over the 500 miles
Oil Temps: 240-250 (257 Max, 5th Gear, 3100 rpm)
Coolant Temps: 215-230 (230 Max)

The winds became progressively worse as I traveled south. By the time I reached the I-90 & I-15 interchange they were really starting to pick up and they were nearly a direct head wind. I was able to maintain about 50 mph and keep temps in check on the long climbs between I-90 to south of Dillon, MT.

Between Red Rock, MT and Roberts, ID I was only able to maintain about 55 mph (4th and 5th gear) and oil temps climbed steadily to 255-257F. Speeds varied to keep oil temps below 257F. After 100 miles of fighting the head winds >25mph, I dropped off I-15 at Roberts and used county roads and state roads with more shelter from the winds. Once I dropped off the exposed interstate I was able to maintain 55-60 mph with oil temps steady in the 230F range.

Control was never an issue despite the length and frontal area of the trailer, gusts approaching 30 mph. Many of the semi trucks on the road had more wind sway than my rig, especially the double trailers.

I didn't get any pics of the rig on the road, but Glacier was an awesome trip.

View attachment 81366 View attachment 81368 View attachment 81370

Cheers.
sure would like to see the old time ram hood ornaments like the head in your picture back on the trucks. I had an 86 Dodge pickup with one and whenever I got above 80 mph it turned around backwards (it was spring mounted). People with me said it didn't want to see what was happening next!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Thanks for the info. Nice to be able to compare notes. The truck is fully capable of pulling that weight. Sounds like you have it set up perfectly.
We just did a short 2 hr run through the Adirondacks with our 30' - 7800+ lb. TT. Air temps around 68 deg. No wind. Running 45 - 55 mph on state roads, Oil temp never went above 250 deg.
12 mpg, on mostly mountain roads.

Easy Peasy :cool:

STILL LOVE this truck!

·
Registered
2015 3.0 Laramie loaded
102 Posts
Love the post, but you are making me anxious. I'm heading to Glacier NP come mid-Aug. from South Carolina. Pulling a 26 footer with loaded weight of about 7000 lbs. Love the info and glad it is working great for you!
THANKS

·
Registered
13,920 Posts
One of my favorite places in North America. Love riding that road on motorcycle. Thanks for the memories.

Your temperatures pulling your RV are about the same as mine pulling my toy hauler. Weights are similar though my trailer is smaller but loaded with motorcycles and more. This picture was just a couple weeks ago while I climbed up a "cliff" mountain road north of Franklin, North Carolina. The speed, temperatures and CAT temp ( that is NOT a regeneration going on as you see the temperatures above 1,200 degrees on my Ultra Gauge). What you see is pretty much all I can get out of my GDE Ecodiesel going up a very steep and long mountain grade. I will not push it more as it's nice to keep things under control to ride later.

JGcfLsGMT6SwDtA6FsG4dA by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

·
Registered
125 Posts
The road to the sun is something. It was narrow in a car, and must have been challenging pulling a RV.
Maximum front bumper to rear bumper combined length is limited to 21 feet = 10' 6" tow vehicle + 10' 6" trailer, never happened to see an RV on Going to The Sun for this reason.

"Size restrictions apply on Going to the Sun Road. Your vehicle cannot be longer than 21 feet, including bumpers and no wider than 8 feet, including mirrors. It is also recommended that your vehicle is no taller than 10 feet, as you may encounter issues over that height with low rock overhangs".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@VernDiesel - Normal cruise on the trip north was an easy 65-70 mph and I could have increased that speed if desired. I have been reluctant to do any mods to this point, but think I may try to replace the grill inserts to give me a little more cooling capacity. I do not have a tune or turbo brake, maybe something to add this next year.
Thanks for the interest.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for post on Glacier, I am leaving steamy SW Florida Aug 7 to travel to Banff, Jasper and Glacier National Parks. We will be towing 27 Airstream, weight at 7000 lbs. Nice to see your temperature ranges, gives me good idea what not exceed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts