RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was installing my running boards, I noticed how vulnerable some of the transmission components are without a skid or glide plate. There are 2 aluminum oil hoses that could easily get damaged off roading. I don't do a lot of "extreme" 4x4 riding but you never know sometimes what could get unlodged and end up damaging the underside, so I am looking for some transmission/front protection.

I am gonna go by the dealer and see how the OEM mounts and where, but also was looking to see if I could find some after market solution. I haven't found anything for the Eco Dee yet, as I assume it is too new. Anybody else seen anything? If you do, please post up!:cool:

·
Registered
99 Posts
While I was installing my running boards, I noticed how vulnerable some of the transmission components are without a skid or glide plate. There are 2 aluminum oil hoses that could easily get damaged off roading. I don't do a lot of "extreme" 4x4 riding but you never know sometimes what could get unlodged and end up damaging the underside, so I am looking for some transmission/front protection.

I am gonna go by the dealer and see how the OEM mounts and where, but also was looking to see if I could find some after market solution. I haven't found anything for the Eco Dee yet, as I assume it is too new. Anybody else seen anything? If you do, please post up!:cool:

I know it was an option you could add for 150.00 Protection group (ADB-R) was the option code. Came with Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield, Front Suspension Skid plate, and Tow Hooks.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Nice to know the dealer has a protection group for the truck. I don't do any 4 wheeling but some of the roads at my sons house in Oregon are almost as bad as being off road.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stopped by the local dealer today (bought my truck 40 miles away) and asked about the Protection group (ADB-R) and they could not find it in the parts system. Appears for now, you have to either get as an option put on the truck at the build or order a new truck with this option. So for now, I'll have to wait and see if Dodge gets it into the system soon or an after market solution comes to fruition. While the guy could find skid plates, they did not specify if they would work with the Eco Diesel or Hemi or whatever, so the parts manager was leery to order as he was not sure if they would fit the Eco Diesel due to the differences in cross members and such that could be applicable. So no joy for now!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
stopped by the local dealer today (bought my truck 40 miles away) and asked about the Protection group (ADB-R) and they could not find it in the parts system. Appears for now, you have to either get as an option put on the truck at the build or order a new truck with this option. So for now, I'll have to wait and see if Dodge gets it into the system soon or an after market solution comes to fruition. While the guy could find skid plates, they did not specify if they would work with the Eco Diesel or Hemi or whatever, so the parts manager was leery to order as he was not sure if they would fit the Eco Diesel due to the differences in cross members and such that could be applicable. So no joy for now!
The dealer must be missing something. The parts department won't be able to look up the parts from an order code, I don't think. RAM is obviously getting the parts, so maybe check the Mopar website.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dealer must be missing something. The parts department won't be able to look up the parts from an order code, I don't think. RAM is obviously getting the parts, so maybe check the Mopar website.
Yeah I tried that as well a couple of days ago. Nothing I can find specifically states what trucks they fit or don't except for "1500" but with the varying tranny and engine combinations, just not sure what would fit or not. Seems to me if you have a build code for a package, a Dodge dealer should be able to translate that into specific part numbers. What the parts guy did tell me was if I could get a VIN of a truck that has the protection group installed on it, then when he puts that specific VIN in, it will show him the specific part numbers for the plates as he has the ability to do a VIN search and see the entire truck including all parts and their associated specific part numbers, go figure…..

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Yeah I tried that as well a couple of days ago. Nothing I can find specifically states what trucks they fit or don't except for "1500" but with the varying tranny and engine combinations, just not sure what would fit or not. Seems to me if you have a build code for a package, a Dodge dealer should be able to translate that into specific part numbers. What the parts guy did tell me was if I could get a VIN of a truck that has the protection group installed on it, then when he puts that specific VIN in, it will show him the specific part numbers for the plates as he has the ability to do a VIN search and see the entire truck including all parts and their associated specific part numbers, go figure…..
You might want them to be able to look it up, but build codes are used by the factory, and dealership parts lists don't map.

But I'm sending you a vin from a truck I can confirm has the protection package from the factory.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Duane! I really appreciate your help and my truck's underside appreciates it as well! ;)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Please post up the numbers once you figure it out. I'd like to add a tow hook to the front of mine. (I've seen too many 2wd guys get stuck trying to pull out at the boat ramp!)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Please post up the numbers once you figure it out. I'd like to add a tow hook to the front of mine. (I've seen too many 2wd guys get stuck trying to pull out at the boat ramp!)
My dealer had no issues adding the tow hooks to my limited. I can't imagine you need to provide them with their own parts numbers, that is what they do.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Funny...I called my local Ram dealers service department to get an oil filter. I didn't buy the truck their because they couldn't get any eco's for the lot..Anyways the service department argued with me that I wasn't working on a 1500 but it was a 2500..I paused and said"its a ram 1500 ecodiesel bighorn 3.0" He said I was mistaken and it's a 6.7 cummins. I hung up and drove to dealership and told him that he needs educated on vehicles that is serviced through his dealership. He denied speaking to me even when I called him by name. So ignorance is somewhat a common issue it seems.

Reactions: TXDeesel

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Okay! Thanks to Duane, I used his VIN and was able to track down the part number for the transfer case skid plate! It is part number on my bill of sale is:

68089777-AB Skidplate 33.00 dollars!
6509233-AA HEX Screws x (8) 10.80

Total with tax 46.43 for the transfer case skid and bolts which is the primary one I wanted. He could not find any other skid plates but said he'll keep looking as I told him there should be one for the front suspension.

Now that I have the part number, I went here and found it for 23 bucks!

SKIDPLATE-FRONT AXLE/TRANSFER CASE | Genuine Mopar | 68089777AB
This SKIDPLATE-FRONT AXLE/TRANSFER CASE is a genuine OEM Mopar part #68089777AB and carries a factory warranty. We offer the best online prices with fast shipping on any order placed with us.

So if you want one, order it from above. Original MOPAR part.

I think part of the problem is the trucks are so new the parts system has not caught up yet.

Part number 26 below

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Keep in mind guys, with prices this low...it means something.

Unless you're driving a Jeep with factory skid plates, or maybe a Land Rover, both of which are acknowledged to have some of the best factory skid plates, we essentially have pie plates under our trucks. The tow hooks are the real deal, but factory skid plates at those prices are not beefy. This isn't a simply "cheap is cheap" statement, either. EVERY aspect of our trucks is costed down to the penny, and while simply, cheap skids allow marketing to sell another option, it does not mean they are going to hold up to more than mild offroad action.

There is a reason why the aftermarket caters to buyers, after all. Even the Jeep and Land Rover gear I mentioned above is little more than a starting point if any real offroading is on the menu. ;)

So, our skids might be better than nothing, but there's a decent chance they'll be better than nothing only once or twice. Frankly, at prices this low, I can handle the odd replacement of a skid that gets mangled.

·
Registered
701 Posts
So to be clear, most/all trims do not come with skid plate / cover protection, and the mopar cover above will provide at least basic protection, correct? I am thinking of ordering this.

Reminds me of my old Infiniti G35 sedan that had optional aerodynamic package that provided thin plastic covers under the frame to help air flow more smoothly under the car.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
So to be clear, most/all trims do not come with skid plate / cover protection, and the mopar cover above will provide at least basic protection, correct? I am thinking of ordering this.

Reminds me of my old Infiniti G35 sedan that had optional aerodynamic package that provided thin plastic covers under the frame to help air flow more smoothly under the car.
Correct. On most trims, these would have been optional. Super easy to look under the truck to see if they are there, too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I picked up the OEM skid plate today and WOW, it is beefy and not cheesy. Steel and has a rolled edge for additional rigidity. This thing is pretty sweet for 40 bucks. At least a 16th thick and strong. Very happy.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts