RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to reply to the separate post below but I think my experience calls for a separate entry.

I have a 2015 with 160K km (100K miles) with GDE tune from the beginning and a full delete since 120K km. 3 weeks ago I got the glow plug light followed by the CEL. Took it to my trusted mechanic who advised to replace all six of them. He also said that I would have to take to the dealership as the glow plugs in this engine are notorious to brake and a special extraction tool is required.

Took it to the dealership that got me sign two hour labour for $330 (I’m in Canada). Now very long story short and two weeks later they managed to sheer off 3 off them and despite days and days of soaking have not managed to extract them. So, $1,500 later I have three new glow plugs (#3,4,6) and three broken ones. As a result this comes with a permanent CEL on.

I will deal with FCA and the dealership separately however, I am now presented with two very unappealing options:

1/ trade the vehicle that is paid for and has thousands of dollars of aftermarket stuff that I was planning on keeping for another 100K km or

2/ keep it as is with the all the unknowns. Even though I live in temperate climate (think Seattle) in the winter I drive to Alberta, Montana, Utah and Wyoming.

So what to do?? Cut my losses and trade now (but for what). Is the 3rd gen worth it? I could have some leverage with the dealer in that case. Or get a 2021 Tundra (if I can find it).

If I decide to chance it and keep it can someone with real knowledge guess what would be the chances that it would start in the winter in typically very cold conditions. The dealership mechanic (bless his heart) when asked about this scenario suggested a squirting a lighter fluid into the intake. I could use a block heater (for whatever it might be worth) but the truck would also spend hours without being plugged in while I ski.

Thanks for your opinions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Snapped them off. Even tried to weld a ‘nut’ on the the remaining bit only to break off that part too.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Think he would learn after snapping the first one and welding a nut on a broke off glow plug isn't going to work to shit. At that point drilling and extracting or replacing the head are your options. Replacing the head wouldn't be cost effective with the price of a new engine. Maybe go talk to your trusted mechanic since the dealer tech seems in over his head.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think he would learn after snapping the first one and welding a nut on a broke off glow plug isn't going to work to shit. At that point drilling and extracting or replacing the head are your options. Replacing the head wouldn't be cost effective with the price of a new engine. Maybe go talk to your trusted mechanic since the dealer tech seems in over his head.
There is no fixing it. It is what it is. The struggle for me is whether I keep it knowing I use it in cold temperatures or trade it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
732 Posts
If I were to gde tune again, I would ask them to custom delete the codes for glow plugs. So if one glow plug fails it will never pop a code. Don't think glow plugs are even needed unless it gets - 20c or lower.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Well personally I wouldn’t want only 3 of the 6 glow plugs working seems like a good way to have a rough running engine when cold. You could just unplug the controller and see if it starts fine cold or have a competent tech see if they could extract one. Either way its your decision but for the hit you would take trading it off you could probably replace the engine.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm confused. They broke it. Whether due to an incompetent mechanic or not, to me the rule is you break it, you bought it (or pay to fix it). I would find a lawyer and pay whatever it took to hold them accountable. But that's just me. I have righteousness issues.:cautious:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Check with Ram Cares. IMHO, that dealer owes you a new motor. My dealer killed my radio at 100,000+ miles. Ram stepped up to the plate and made them replace it... That mechanic sounds like a moron, btw.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
I believe a New Engine will be cheaper than a New Truck? If the rest of the truck is in Good Condition?

Run all the numbers....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just out of curiosity I took the truck to a Toyota dealership and they wouldn’t even look the truck for a trade in. Their only offer was to put it up for an auction. Just unbelievable.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
I don’t blame Toyota or any other dealership for not wanting to trade....Or extremely low trade 5-8k ?

Take a chance find a Diesel/ machine shop and have them try to extract old glow plugs, Basically drilling the old injectors and plugging air in cylinder Locking it with the valves closed and installing new treads...

It shouldn’t be a major issue finding such a shop with Good credentials...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The reason I drive a Ram= Toyota dealer gave me a $hitty offer for my old Toyota for trade on a Tundra. Ram, beat the Toyota dealer by $7,000 on a new truck.

Reactions: TexasJoe

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I see a lot of posts regarding glow plug failures and trouble removing them. Do we know why glow plugs seem to fail early? And what is the trick for removal without breaking the glow plugs?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Looks like the answer is to soak with 50/50 brake fluid and ATF and only turn until resistance, then turn back in and more soak. Can easily take several hours to remove 1. I can see a dealer not taking the time and rushing the process. Still no excuse for breaking 3! I have also used a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone to penetrate rusty threads, but from looking at youtube videos, seems like brake fluid/ATF is preferred for these. Seems like lots of patience is the answer, not bull strength.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is the explanation I got from a very trusted source as to why they are issues with glow plugs:
“it is due to the design of the head in that the threads of the glow plugs go below the top threads of the bore.”

·
Administrator
9,675 Posts
This is the explanation I got from a very trusted source as to why they are issues with glow plugs:
“it is due to the design of the head in that the threads of the glow plugs go below the top threads of the bore.”

Glow Plug.JPG

·
Registered
732 Posts
^ spray some good quality penetrative in there and don't touch for couple of days. I think that will make life easier looking at the photo.
The exposed threads are the issue here. Crap design to say the least.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts