RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,785 Posts
wonder if it might be worth drilling out the top threads once the plugs are out... then again, metal shavings in the bore are not a good thing.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,351 Posts
wonder if it might be worth drilling out the top threads once the plugs are out... then again, metal shavings in the bore are not a good thing.
Nice idea that should of been implemented when the heads are made.

Yea, that is just piss poor engineering.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I got the repair quote yesterday from the dealer $9,000 CAD. No lie. Still no word from RAM Canada.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
I got the repair quote yesterday from the dealer $9,000 CAD. No lie. Still no word from RAM Canada.
For reference, that's about $7,167 dollars in U.S. money. I could nearly buy a new engine for that price. And that new engine comes with a new turbo, new CP4 pump, new injectors, and a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty!

Reactions: SlowRoller

·
Registered
95 Posts

That is just flat ridiculous. I broke a glow plug off and replaced the left head on my 2015 Longhorn while ago, and completed the repair for less than $700.

For both heads, gaskets and shipping, it should be no more than $1700 in parts (with brand new heads). This is not a trivial repair, so labor will be significant, but I can't imagine that an indy shop would need to charge more than $2k labor for this repair which gives a total cost of about $4k (allowing for 10%-15% markup on the parts), or around $1,700 if you DIY. As someone has pointed out, you can get a brand new engine in the $7k range (plus labor to install)

Right Head $495
Left Head $504
Right Head Gasket (includes head bolts) $165
Left head Gasket (includes head bolts) $165
Other gaskets and hardware (I'm not listing everything, but $200 should cover it unless you have bad sensors)
Exhaust Manifold Gasket (2 req'd)
2​
68148177AA $ 8.34
Exhaust Elbow to DPF
1​
68357407AA $ 7.64
EGR Pipe ends (2 req'd)
2​
68211320AA $ 3.67
EGR to Turbo (1 req'd)
1​
68211317AA $ 14.76
GASKET Turbo Exhaust Outlet (2 req'd)
2​
68148176AA $ 3.39
Turbo Exhaust Outlet (1 req'd)
1​
68146718AA $ 13.19

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for this. This a great information. The very least I can safe quite a bit on the parts. I tried to contact some independent shops in town that deal with diesels and they all said they would not work on that engine…….

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Also, I have checked the above parts retailer but they don’t ship to Canada. Would anyone know if there’s a Canadian equivalent?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was going to reply to the separate post below but I think my experience calls for a separate entry.

I have a 2015 with 160K km (100K miles) with GDE tune from the beginning and a full delete since 120K km. 3 weeks ago I got the glow plug light followed by the CEL. Took it to my trusted mechanic who advised to replace all six of them. He also said that I would have to take to the dealership as the glow plugs in this engine are notorious to brake and a special extraction tool is required.

Took it to the dealership that got me sign two hour labour for $330 (I’m in Canada). Now very long story short and two weeks later they managed to sheer off 3 off them and despite days and days of soaking have not managed to extract them. So, $1,500 later I have three new glow plugs (#3,4,6) and three broken ones. As a result this comes with a permanent CEL on.

I will deal with FCA and the dealership separately however, I am now presented with two very unappealing options:

1/ trade the vehicle that is paid for and has thousands of dollars of aftermarket stuff that I was planning on keeping for another 100K km or

2/ keep it as is with the all the unknowns. Even though I live in temperate climate (think Seattle) in the winter I drive to Alberta, Montana, Utah and Wyoming.

So what to do?? Cut my losses and trade now (but for what). Is the 3rd gen worth it? I could have some leverage with the dealer in that case. Or get a 2021 Tundra (if I can find it).

If I decide to chance it and keep it can someone with real knowledge guess what would be the chances that it would start in the winter in typically very cold conditions. The dealership mechanic (bless his heart) when asked about this scenario suggested a squirting a lighter fluid into the intake. I could use a block heater (for whatever it might be worth) but the truck would also spend hours without being plugged in while I ski.

Thanks for your opinions.

I've had 5 of 6 glow plugs replaced and I keep my 2016 ED with 138K in the garage! The driver head was replaced under warranty for failure of removal. #4 plug was recently extracted with no problem and anti-seize applied. Cost $330 USD.
FCA has lost money on this unit!

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
I've had 5 of 6 glow plugs replaced and I keep my 2016 ED with 138K in the garage!
Dang, I wonder why some people are having to replace their glow plugs much sooner than others? I'm at 96,000 miles on my 2015 and haven't seen a code in nearly three years!

The driver head was replaced under warranty for failure of removal. #4 plug was recently extracted with no problem and anti-seize applied. Cost $330 USD.
FCA has lost money on this unit!
The anti-seize is a good idea. I'll make note of that.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Even with the poor design, 50 cents worth of (never seize) applied at the factory could have saved a lot of grief!. Somewhere there is a bean counter to blame, probably used to work at Ford.

Reactions: BrianF

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
FWIW my truck popped #6 plug light 2 years and 59,000 miles ago. No difference in drivability so I support the comment not all 6 are needed and will never replace it. I do live in Florida though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Decided to get it fixed. Sourced the parts away from the dealership. Even with that saving it’s going to be $7400 CAD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Decided to get it fixed. Sourced the parts away from the dealership. Even with that saving it’s going to be $7400 CAD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a swift kick in the @$$ from the dealer, I realize it's not as bad as the first estimate. Did they at least provide a full breakdown of all estimated charges?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The estimate only included the parts list and a labour cost. No specific breakdown.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I may be doing it wrong, but I've never actually gotten this tool to work (I bought both the basic and the "deluxe" kit). There is a sleeve that centers on the electrode of the glow plug which the drill bit slides into. The drill basically has to cut away at the electrode until it is flush with the knuckle. Then it can drill into the core of the plug. The problem is I can never get it to drill perfectly on center, so it ends up breaking through the side once I switch to the larger bit (for the tap). Last time, I ended up just drilling a larger hole and re-tapping it for a helicoil. Even this was slightly off-center due to the pilot hole not being exactly in the middle

If anyone has successfully used this tool on the EcoDiesel heads, I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts