RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I am new here. I have a 2015 Laramie with just under 15,000 miles and just got it back from the dealer after almost 2 months. I had scheduled an appointment to get my truck checked out because it felt like it was going to stall, then the day before my appointment I am driving home and stopped to fill up, turned the truck back on and it sounded like metal pinging around and it was shaking like crazy, the Service Throttle ControlI sensor lite up, then finally the Low Oil Pressure sensor lite up right before it died and left me on the side of the road. After lots of waiting and no answers they tell me a glow plug got sucked into the engine and they were going to rebuild it, well in the end they had to replace the engine.
I am not a gear head by any means, I buy brand new trucks because all I want to do is change the oil, get brakes and tires then sell it by 100,000 miles and move on to my next truck. Well now I am torn if I want to keep it? Anyone have similar issues and go on to have a reliable rig? I really loved this truck! It was my first Ram and the mpg is what sold me. I had a Tundra previously and although I loved the preformance of the truck the mpg is bullshit! I lived at the gas station! Was this just a major fluke or is this an issue that Ecos are experiencing? Thanks!

·
Registered
698 Posts
I guess that would be the same as spark plug breaking ceramic on the bottom. I haven't seen it mentioned here or heard of it happening even with the Cummins.

Glad it is fixed and back on the road. I am sure other members here will join in with more info and questions.

·
Super Moderator
3,970 Posts
I don't recall reading about anyone having any issues with a glow plugs much less one coming apart.

The Cummins doesn't use glow plugs, it uses an inlet warming grid.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Welcome to the forum from RI.

If our truck uses ceramic glow plugs, which I doubt after the issues in the Jeep Liberty engines, I would say it is possible for a glow plug to break off inside the engine. I can't tell from the picture off IDParts.com what our glow plug is made out of. Either way, I think you have a 1 in a million issue right now.

·
Registered
12,811 Posts
Agree with all the other responses. No history or even mention of a similar issue. You win the "one-in-a-million" prize.

As for keeping or selling, your decision based on the knowledge you acquire.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I had a bad glow plug replaced under warranty in March of '15... Didn't get ingested into the engine though.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Well if choochooman's picture is of a glow plug for the ED engine, it looks identical to the glow plugs used in the international 6.9's first generation, I replaced hundreds of those , and whats happens usually is they burn up the tip and split open or the tips will fall into the combustion chamber , most of the times just go out exhaust, otherwise boom. And what will be a major issue with these glow plugs is when they burn up and split they don't want to come out of the head , you have to grab them with vise grips and keep spinning them while pulling up to slowly get them out of the head PIA . Now this could be an issue with aluminum heads , Now depending on location of glow plugs, I use to have a long screw driver and would use a hammer and knock the prong off the top of the glow plugs and use a short socket and swivel to RnR those glow plugs quick. And from my experiences with them there either good or bad no In between. And checking them was easy just use a test light hook up to positive on battery and touch light to prong no light bad glow plug . Now I'm going from my memory of thirty years back , might have a slight error or not in my statement.

·
Vendor
1,135 Posts
The glow plugs in the V6 EcoD are Bosch ceramic glow plugs but they're not anything like the older ones used in the Liberty that would sometimes crack and break off.
That's not to say that they can't, but it'd be the first one we'd seen do that on a Ram or Jeep after many years working with them.

Usually the biggest problem is that they are seized into the head due to no antisieze during assembly, so if you do have to replace one it's a slow process to get them out unless you want to replace the head too...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2015 Laramie with just under 15,000 miles and just got it back from the dealer after almost 2 months. I had scheduled an appointment to get my truck checked out because it felt like it was going to stall, then the day before my appointment I am driving home and stopped to fill up, turned the truck back on and it sounded like metal pinging around and it was shaking like crazy, the Service Throttle ControlI sensor lite up, then finally the Low Oil Pressure sensor lite up right before it died and left me on the side of the road. After lots of waiting and no answers they tell me a glow plug got sucked into the engine and they were going to rebuild it, well in the end they had to replace the engine.
It most likely threw a rod. Everything makes sense and matches common reports of such catastrophic engine failure, until they claimed it to be from a "sucked in" glow plug...

·
Registered
863 Posts
It most likely threw a rod. Everything makes sense and matches common reports of such catastrophic engine failure, until they claimed it to be from a "sucked in" glow plug...
Yes I agree, this is more likely a lower end failure like the rest of this mess!

GratefulMama report your engine failure to the The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
And ask for proof of failure from the dealer!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Please, someone correct me if I am wrong on this. If the glow plug did break off in the combustion chamber, it would at the most rattle around on top of the piston, and probably beat up the valves. The bottom end of the motor should be left untouched. I don't see why you would have had the low oil pressure light come on for a top end issue.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Please, someone correct me if I am wrong on this. If the glow plug did break off in the combustion chamber, it would at the most rattle around on top of the piston, and probably beat up the valves. The bottom end of the motor should be left untouched. I don't see why you would have had the low oil pressure light come on for a top end issue.
On the Liberties, we had everything from minor piston to head damage (My #1 and #2 cylinders) to reports of catastrophic failures (broke valve, piston, etc). I am pretty sure you will get a lot of noise before the low oil pressure light comes on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts