RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
But replacing that oil pump belt... not a DIY job. What's the guess on the dealer cost to replace??

·
Registered
13,412 Posts
Belt does require transmission removal Then it is easy. Of course, transmission removal is not easy. Here is a case where easy is not easy. One good thing is say you do not bother to touch it and at 225,000 miles or so it fails. You get a notice of low oil pressure. Then you are stopped without major engine damage like if it was a timing belt like Ford uses. Don't think it is a big deal.

I still like this motor. The design and ease ( close to easy) of parts access makes it a winner to me. Current reviews show it has better fuel mileage than the Ecodiesel, though not by much. Also seems to have the equal or more power than the new Ecodiesel under test.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Transmission is not actually removed. The euphemism is backed off or disconnected from the bell housing and slid back. Still, definitely not ideal. That 10 speed has to be heavy so maybe it's a two person job or they have special tools? A lift would make it much easier.

If I read correctly the new I-6 only requires 7 quarts of motor oil. That's significantly less than the ED's 10.5 quarts. It helps lower periodic maintenance cost but I wonder if it risks oil dilution. Maybe fuel delivery and burn is so good now they aren't spraying down the cylinder walls or there's just less cooling plumbing needed with the variable vectored oil pump.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
All this hubbub about the belt is the same schidt I remember hearing from Harley guys back in the day. Didn't seem to affect Harley sales, though.

·
Registered
284 Posts
As I noted in another thread, the local dealer quoted me roughly $2000 to do the oil pump belt based on what GM shows for hours to do the change. As far as other service, it is somewhat a wash, slightly lower oil capacity but more frequent changes and a pricey oddball oil. When I ran the numbers engine & transmission service over 200000 miles came to about $2300 for the Ram and $2800 for the new Chevy doing it all myself. That does not include the oil pump belt.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Not too worried about the belt & replacement. But does it fail or get changed at 100k or 200k... I guess we need a Vern to test it for us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts