RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
fuel tank less than 24 gallons? Uhg... Even with our 26 gallons, there were places that I was wishing I had a jug of fuel in the back, like down to a couple of gallons when filling up. You do not always get 30 miles to the gallon, aka, tow mode.

5 1/2 gallon DEF tank. No big deal there.

Engine brake a nice plus and I like the inline 6 cyl motor.

But if it rides and has seats like my last truck, a 2011 Silverado, I would pass. The Ram 1500 is hands down very, very comfortable.
Oh my. You NEED an in-bed extra fuel tank. That's a major benefit of being diesel. Much safer and reasonable to have a tank inside. Would not tow without one. Actually, would not run without one.

Check out the RDS models.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts

EPA ratings
Old ED best 2WD configuration 29 HWY
Ford 2WD 30 HWY
GM 2WD 31 plus HWY my guess
Ram 2WD 31 plus HWY my guess

Well, the engine is definitely more interesting than Mr. Truck. He needs to be replaced. They didn't say their 150,000 mile rating was a B10 rating or anything else so it is hard to know what it means. If it was a B10 I think that means 90% of the engines will make 150,000 miles without a major engine problem. I guess the current Ecodiesel meets that life even with the failures we have.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Can one of our mechanical engineer gurus explain what a centrifugal pendulum absorber torque converter is and what its advantages and disadvantages are? I googled it and couldn't find anything.and I cannot even guess what it means even though I know what each of the words mean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The CPVA is an absorbing damper with a set of secondary spring masses that, when energized, cancel out the engine’s torsional vibrations. The spring masses vibrate in the opposite direction of the torsional vibrations of the engine, balancing out undesirable torsional vibrations.

It's currently used with the 2.8L Duramax.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
The CPVA is an absorbing damper with a set of secondary spring masses that, when energized, cancel out the engine’s torsional vibrations. The spring masses vibrate in the opposite direction of the torsional vibrations of the engine, balancing out undesirable torsional vibrations.

It's currently used with the 2.8L Duramax.
Thanks. I can understand that on a 4 cylinder engine which are less than smooth especially with the size of the power pulses in that engine. Seems strange for the smooth and naturally well balanced 6 cylinder. Anyhow I still cannot picture a centrifugal pendulum. I do understand what you are describing.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The power is there in the current ecodiesel to tow 9000 lbs up a grade no problems only if the cooling system could keep up in high ambient temps.

·
Super Moderator
2,973 Posts
It will do 9k up to a 6 percent grade as I’ve done it. Not sure I agree with the no problem description even just power wise but I fully agree with your bigger point that the cooling system is the bigger issue.

My ED 3.92, GDE ECM & trans tunes, 31.9” XL load rating Hwy tire, Free flowing SLT grill. Still can be WOT to hold 50 mph (acceptable (9k 6 percent)) or in enough heat or long enough climb will need to limit steady state rpm to 3k to make sure it will not derate due to temps. Fits as to the optimum EDs rating of 9,200.

9k is also at least with a TT really pushing the practical & Mfgr spec limits of the 1/2 ton platform. Axle weights, gcvwr, receiver rating. Just saying for the newbie owner reader & tower.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well heck I've been contemplating on the Chevy 3.0 diesel as a replacement for my Big Horn Eco diesel as I like the upper trim packages but,
the transfer case has aggravated me since I tried to use it under adverse conditions.
Well today I went to the Chevy build site, guess what they have gone and done.
Yep not only do they have a damned computer controlled clutch stuck in the t-case but low range is an option that has to be ordered.
I've installed the switch kit that Brandon has made which helps our cases quite a bit, but no reason to get a new truck that will have the same issues.
May have to start looking at the Rebel trim line.
I am getting danged disgusted with these manufactures that have to keep "fixing" things that don't need fixing and making more and more parking lot queens and advertising them as trucks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
More info on the engine and here are the 10 speed transmission ratios.

3.0L Duramax I-6 Engine Specs and Information
I cant figure out why they keep introducing more and more gears. The ratios are almost the same as our 8 speeds and unless the diff ratio is low (high number) the od ratios are too high to maintain those gears. The 8 speed has the same 8th as the gm 9th. 7th is 1 to 1 on the 10 speed 6th is 1 to 1 on the 8 speed

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
I cant figure out why they keep introducing more and more gears. The ratios are almost the same as our 8 speeds and unless the diff ratio is low (high number) the od ratios are too high to maintain those gears.
Two reasons for more gears, better performance and more efficiency. With more gears the engine can be kept closer to the optimal operating rpms. More gears means less gap between the ratios so shifts will can be smoother. I doubt the EcoDiesel would be anywhere nice to drive if there was a 6 speed behind it.
There is also continuously variable transmission, one of the main reasons consumers don't like them is there isn't a "shift point". Sounds strange but Subaru makes their CVTs artificially "shift".
As far as too many gears, Ford and GM may have found out the expensive way that 10 is too many. http://fordauthority.com/2019/08/ford-f-150-10-speed-transmission-subject-new-lawsuit/
It's just Ford being sued now but GM uses the same 10 speed with their own programming. Keep in mind GM is already in litigation with their 8 speed for similar reason as Ford with the 10.

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Did not know the new 10 speed is a mess. Reads like it's trouble, not because of having 10 forward gears but because it has problems shifting.

I'll take that manual 6 speed in the Ecodiesel. Might be a fun "row", at least until you get stuck in traffic. Then again, I would more easily lug the motor and make trouble. Maybe my idea is not a good one unless you have a big, slow motor that will just chug along?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Did not know the new 10 speed is a mess. Reads like it's trouble, not because of having 10 forward gears but because it has problems shifting.

I'll take that manual 6 speed in the Ecodiesel. Might be a fun "row", at least until you get stuck in traffic. Then again, I would more easily lug the motor and make trouble. Maybe my idea is not a good one unless you have a big, slow motor that will just chug along?
You wont lug it any worse, my truck is in 6th at 40 mph

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
How many people have the same sob story about our beloved ecodiesel?

How many got their first light the same day they bought it?

Ive been very well served by GM vehicles, sure I have had them break too.
I got an emission code in the first five minutes after picking up my new 2014 ram eco. I had barely pulled out of the dealers lot when the code flashed-up. I whipped a U-turn & had the code looked at, it was a sensor in the SCR. They gave me back my old truck to drive until the new sensor came in three weeks later. I wasn't a happy camper after I had waited two months for my special ordered truck to come in and then had another three weeks wait after it went tits-up leaving the dealership. I came to love the truck, but it took awhile for that initial bitter taste to go away.

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
I got an emission code in the first five minutes after picking up my new 2014 ram eco. I had barely pulled out of the dealers lot when the code flashed-up. I whipped a U-turn & had the code looked at, it was a sensor in the SCR. They gave me back my old truck to drive until the new sensor came in three weeks later. I wasn't a happy camper after I had waited two months for my special ordered truck to come in and then had another three weeks wait after it went tits-up leaving the dealership. I came to love the truck, but it took awhile for that initial bitter taste to go away.
We all had that with the early 2014's. ALL.

That's why those with any reasonable amount of sense went to GDE. None of the bs to deal with. Now, years and 100's of thousands of miles later, we still reap the benefits while those that resisted GDE, suffer the consequences.

·
Registered
138 Posts

That's why those with any reasonable amount of sense went to GDE. None of the to deal with. Now, years and 100's of thousands of miles later, we still reap the benefits while those that resisted GDE, suffer the consequences.
Yup! I did the GDE tune & was amazed at how it changed the drivability of the truck. The main reason I did the tune was to get rid of the dead petal from stop, everything else was just gravy. I've tried emailing GDE asking if they will be able to offer a tune for the gen-3 ED, I'm waiting for a reply two weeks later.

Deleting isn't an option here on the Colorado front range due to emission testing. They do a visual check for all emissions related components, but only an opacity test for the actual emissions. The GDE tune was just the ticket being as everything looked normal & ran clean.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts

That's why those with any reasonable amount of sense went to GDE. None of the to deal with. Now, years and 100's of thousands of miles later, we still reap the benefits while those that resisted GDE, suffer the consequences.
Cap, we all did not have it in 2014. I for one did not. Secondly to imply that anyone that did not buy GDE has no sense is even very arrogant for you. I did not buy GDE and I will not buy an emissions defeat device and I well understand the advantages of what GDE does for the engine. I have a combination of good sense and principles. I expect you will say the same it is just that the principles we believe in are different and I cannot believe in principles that start us down the road to anarchy! Yes, I probably shouldn't have opened the second bottle of wine .......................................;)

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Cap, we all did not have it in 2014. I for one did not. Secondly to imply that anyone that did not buy GDE has no sense is even very arrogant for you. I did not buy GDE and I will not buy an emissions defeat device and I well understand the advantages of what GDE does for the engine. I have a combination of good sense and principles. I expect you will say the same it is just that the principles we believe in are different and I cannot believe in principles that start us down the road to anarchy! Yes, I probably shouldn't have opened the second bottle of wine .......................................;)
Drink the wine. Just do not flavor it with DEF.

121 - 140 of 140 Posts