RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on page 70 of diesel power magazine the other night, that what GM is calling the 2.8 L Duramax, the diesel motor that will go into the 2016 Canyon and Colorado, is a VM Motori design.... Imagine that.....

GM put a different block, but the motor is VM Motori design.....

So the Ram 1500 with the L630 shares some lineage to the new 2.8 that will be in the GM.

And GM shared ownership with Fiat for VM Motori, and GM was bought out, so it's not entirely a surprise that VM designed the motor.. but sure has heck, GM will take credit for it.

and after reading that, I would be surprised if GM ever brought back the 4.5 LMK V* diesel.

Interesting tho, and I bet the GM sales people at the dealers will not tell prospective buyers, that VM Motori designed the motor....

·
Registered
362 Posts
Interesting, i had no idea that the 2.8L DirtyMax was a VM design, guess i won't be able to call it that anymore. Im more interested in the Nissan Titan 5.0 Cummins, also there is a possibility of a smaller cummins in the nissan mid size truck. Anyone know of any other diesels on the way? 3.0 Wrangler has been talked about.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Link from Autoblog on the 2.8 L Cummins. Power output looks to be a little more than the GM/VM.

Nissan's Cummins tie-up bears first fruit with Frontier Diesel Runner concept - Autoblog

I agree with you on the 5.0 Cummins, that will be a rocket. I was going to wait it out, but the specs on that motor are about like the 3/4 HD diesels of 7-8 years ago.. The 5.0 will pull more than the Nissan Titan chassis will handle, (unless Nissan makes the Titan a 3/4 ton).... so at least to me, it seemed like overkill.
If I have to tow something where I would need the 5.0 over the 3.0 Ecodiesel, then why not get a 2500 HD diesel, really any one of them, Ford 6.7, Ram 6.7 or the GM 6.6 Duramax.

The 3.0 Ecodiesel will be a good blend of economy, utility, and all around drivability... you could drive the thing every day, commute, whatever and not be hurt on fuel economy. The 5.0 Cummins will not achieve the fuel economy that the 3.0 would. It sure would be fun to drive though. !

·
Registered
366 Posts
Link from Autoblog on the 2.8 L Cummins. Power output looks to be a little more than the GM/VM.

Nissan's Cummins tie-up bears first fruit with Frontier Diesel Runner concept - Autoblog

I agree with you on the 5.0 Cummins, that will be a rocket. I was going to wait it out, but the specs on that motor are about like the 3/4 HD diesels of 7-8 years ago.. The 5.0 will pull more than the Nissan Titan chassis will handle, (unless Nissan makes the Titan a 3/4 ton).... so at least to me, it seemed like overkill.
If I have to tow something where I would need the 5.0 over the 3.0 Ecodiesel, then why not get a 2500 HD diesel, really any one of them, Ford 6.7, Ram 6.7 or the GM 6.6 Duramax.

The 3.0 Ecodiesel will be a good blend of economy, utility, and all around drivability... you could drive the thing every day, commute, whatever and not be hurt on fuel economy. The 5.0 Cummins will not achieve the fuel economy that the 3.0 would. It sure would be fun to drive though. !
it does more than out-pull the chassis it stresses the chassis. they need to upgrade or re-design, so there's talk of them entering the heavy duty segment

·
Registered
102 Posts
3.0 Wrangler has been talked about.
They've been talking about making a wrangler diesel for US sales for quite some time now. I've been waiting years for one to be released. I finally gave up and just when I did I found the new ram diesel. Anyway I'll believe it when I see it and not before it hits the dealership lots.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
Gimme fullsize all day long. But not heavy-duty. I'd consider the titan for my next truck if its light-duty and they make it look nicer. The power to weight ratio will be dynamite.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
That doesn't surprise me at all. GM owned part of VM for a while... and they had relations with Chrysler. (That's where NV Gear came from) AND... the Duramax engine is an Isuzu engine. So it's not like they have been engineering their own stuff in a long time.

It would only make sense for Fiat to sell GM engines.

As far as Nissan... The 5.0 Cummins is a big, heavy, powerful engine. It's really not a "half ton" engine. As above... it's going to wind up as a Heavy Duty Nissan, and not in the regular half ton.

·
Registered
75 Posts
VM Motori supplies the engine for the diesel Cruze (also on the Wards top 10) and a bunch of manufacturers car in the global market, including Hyundai/Kia.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
VM Motori supplies the engine for the diesel Cruze (also on the Wards top 10) and a bunch of manufacturers car in the global market, including Hyundai/Kia.
I don't think it is. I was under the impression that the Cruze engine is a Mazda.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I got the 2.8l VM and I think it is a decent motor. The EGR causes problems, which I hope have been addressed. We in the Jeep world just delete the EGR in some way.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Maserati is using a twin turbo derivative of the VM Motori series 650 diesel engine (EcoDiesel) in the 2014 Quattroporte and Ghibli sedans sold in Europe. Dare we say the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel has a distant cousin, Maserati?:p

·
Registered
177 Posts
There is a article on gmauthority.com talking about the collaboration of GMC and VM Motori working on a 2.9 litre turbodiesel V6 engine for the European version of the Cadillac CTS . This was back around late 2007 to 2008 I believe. I think the article is titled something along the lines of Chrysler 3.0 Litre Diesel Was Originally A GMC Engine.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the motor has been used in the Chrysler 300 and Jeeps in Europe since 2011. Take away is the motor has a track record of being in production vehicles for 3 years, so it's not a brand new motor going into a brand new truck, aka the Ford F350 early 6.0 motors that had problems, or early Duramax with the injector problems.. This motor should be well sorted out by now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A 5.0 Cummings engine in a Titan? Their 5.6 DOHC does a good job towing already. It's the glass transmission and the rest of the truck that will not hold up. I know from experience.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Parco,
the motor was designed by VM Motori.
The motor was not designed by GM. But on one point you are correct, the motor was a 2.9 and it was originally intended for the Caddilac. When GM hit the skids, VM had a motor and no home for it. So the motor went into the Jeep and Chrysler 300.

The motor should be good in the Ram 1500. Can't wait to get the reports from the guys that are taking delivery here in the next few days and weeks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The Colorado might be close in power numbers, but it won't have enough frame/suspension/braking to come anywhere close to towing what the Ecodiesel can OR the payload capacity(which is already a complaint of some customers). I wouldn't doubt it matches the mileage of the Ecodiesel, but it's not an apples and apples comparison because they're totally different weights/capabilities. lighter trucks with less displacement are SUPPOSED TO get better mileage, but according to the numbers they're putting in Motor Trend its better by like 1 mpg.

NOW...I try to stay neutral when I compare(and I entirely biased when I argue lol)...If you get approved for X amount of dollars in your loan at the bank...the colorado/canyon WILL cost less. It just has to based on the value of its gas counterparts in relation to the fullsize truck market and the cost of the Ecodiesel. If all you're worried about is the prices and payments or upkeep cost then the GM product is..*gulp*...the better buy. If you need to actually do what a fullsize truck does(like tow a significant weight) then the better buy is the fullsize truck, and I think that's black and white. Until GM outsources trannies, I don't think they'll really catch up to the Ram for a while because the 8-speed is a big part of why the Ecodiesel is what it is.

The Titan is a whole 'nother critter too. That 5.0 Cummins is more than the Nissan Titan truck can handle without modifications, lets be honest. What will those modifications be? Will the weight ratings/capacities be worth all the power, or will all the added hardware weight take a bite out of those numbers(like the Ecodiesel clearly did)? Will they have to re-inforce the frame and bolster the suspension, and if so, will that push the truck into the 3/4 ton segment when you consider the weight of the hardware? There's a couple nightmare stories out there about failed welds in exhausts and flimsy suspension parts in the Titans(followed by domino-effects of parts and lengthy waits for parts) will the power/weight/physical demands of the truck be too much for Nissan's manufacturing? The 5.0 can't possibly get the mileage of the 3.0, it just cant, so it's clearly more of a performance-minded engine. None of the trucks are really an apples-and-apples comparison.

I'm super stoked to see what ends up as what, but I think it's clear that if you look at theoretical capability, and price you're likely to pay it goes Colorado/Canyon-Ram-Titan for both categories. I'm excited to see how well they prepare the chassis of the Titan for the powertrain, and the tranny they use. It will make the most difference in the whole comparison I think.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts