RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
For all the things they have that I really like they sure have some that I don't.

Im not a fan of the electric water pump, belt driven oil pump, or that big a fan of block material. I feel like they are picking the pumps to cut parasitic loss to inflate performance numbers, only time will tell if they are reliable, but I would prefer not to have them. I feel like the block choice was a time and money saving choice, but again only time will tell.

·
Registered
410 Posts
An all-aluminum block.

Makes me go "Hmmmmm..."

Bob

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
Bet it’s going to be great. Doubt I would want it out of warranty. BTW what is warranty 60k? 10 years or 200k she probably would present too big of a risk to keep. That said so is the current ED. As listed several suspect fail points. With 36k psi fuel pressure 43psi boost & an aluminum block I don’t think tuners are going to want to pull more power out of this one. Be satisfied with it or buy a bigger Duramax.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Would be interesting to know what they have done to the block as far as structural design, webbing etc. that would strengthen and stiffen it. I cant imagine that they brought out a first year motor and maxed out the performance of the largest component with no room for improvement.

But then again nobody does those kind of things on purpose.

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
Well I don’t mean totally maxed out. PPEI claims 60HP on a race tune for our ED. Still no problem with crank block or heads at that level that I know of. Well certainly bearings are suspect. Point is I don’t know about more rpms boost & fuel with an aluminum block. Would it be good for another 60 HP? I would think it would be suspect. I know to date Mfgrs have struggled with aluminum blocks especially anytime aftermarket ups the stress with more power & rpm. The article does reference some strengthening.

·
Registered
13,412 Posts
One thing I did like was the position of the turbo. Up there you can get at the thing and deal with any issues that might come up without pulling the body off to get at it. On the 2020 Ecodiesel that issue did seem to be different but not sure it was near the same. Just looked higher and a bit more to the side. If more accessible this "3rd generation" motor would be an even greater improvement.

Also will be earger to see if the same reluctor ring and injector timing equipment is still in place. The current design is one of the dumbest things going. At least they should mechanically fasten that ring rather than doing a glue job. Wonder if maybe the GM belt is not so bad after all depending on how they set the timing.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
some more technical info and the interviewer mostly keeps his mouth shut so the interviewee can tell a cogent story.

·
Registered
816 Posts
No doubt there's some monkey business with mpg #'s but for now the hwy mpg bar has been raised. It will be interesting to see how close the new ED compares without the advantage of a clean slate design. Aside from anecdotes, the official 2019 Ram Classic ED 4x2 was 27mpg hwy. To come close to 33mpg, the new ED would need a 22% jump in highway mpg.

And how will the 2020 classic ED fit in? If the new ED reaches 33mpg hwy, the 2020 classic ED would seem to be obsolete and even more heavily discounted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts