RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a very steep driveway. I back out and pause at the top to check for traffic and then give it throttle to continue. However, the transmission which is still in reverse (according to the shifter) appears to go into neutral and the truck starts to roll forward even as I apply heavy throttle. When I hit the brake and try the throttle again reverse works as expected. What is going on here? Our other cars have never done this.

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
Wonder if you had your foot on the brake when you first turned it to reverse?

I had that issue multiple times but never had reverse and then lost it. That's what you say...like it jumped out of gear. Manual transmissions often do that if they are not fully engaged. Soon as you let off the throttle the darn things come out of gear. Sounds like yours is doing the same.

Test. Keep your foot on the brake firmly as you move that sill little knob to reverse. Back up and try and try again. It could be the issue.

Now don't get me going on that transmission and the silly knob. Good luck testing. I'm outta here to actually put some miles on mine.

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
Was thinking about this post today. Put my truck in "drive" and it just flashed the "D". No drive in drive.

Then a scolding message appeared. The message told me I had to have my foot on that brake before shifting.

It's awful when you are scolded by a machine.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was thinking about this post today. Put my truck in "drive" and it just flashed the "D". No drive in drive.

Then a scolding message appeared. The message told me I had to have my foot on that brake before shifting.

It's awful when you are scolded by a machine.
In my case I have already shifted into reverse and reached the top of the driveway at which point I stop, still in reverse. When I take my foot off the brake and push the throttle the truck rolls forward down the driveway still in reverse according to the shifter but feeling like it is in neutral. I give it some more throttle and it continues to roll forward, at which point I lose courage and step on the brake. When I try again reverse engages normally. This does not always happen so it may, as Sportsguy suggests, have to do with a combination of factors (note that I am in 4WD when backing out). Nevertheless, when I put the truck in reverse I expect it to stay there!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I bet you it has something to do with hill assist... The tranny locks into place until there is enough pressure in the torque converter to release the clutch. In reverse going up a hill, the locking function doesnt engage and creates this scenario ( just a theory guys!). Try disabling hill assist and see if it still happens. You can disable hill assist under the center screen.

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
Hill assist. I have ideas that come to mind but most are not socially acceptable.

What the heck is that? There used to be an emergency brake option pedal for retards that could not let out a clutch without drifting back or stalling. That was on Plymouths in the 50's. Bet most drivers today can't even use a clutch on the level.

I have the obvious solution. Don't back up the hill.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yah I agree with you. But the Zf has a hill assist option and it might be affecting him. It's handy when you have a heavy trailer at the back of the truck or if your at a red light on a hill. You don't have to use the brake pedal. It's a lazy man's feature!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't believe you can disable hill assist. It is an automatic feature that holds the brake on for several seconds after you release it.
Now traction control is another story.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts