RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at these as replacement wheels (truck is that granite crystal metallic, or as i like to call it, sparkly grey).

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...nish=Machined+w/Anthracite+Accent&showRear=no

and for tires want to go 285/70/17 - i could have sworn i saw another thread here that someone was running that size but now i can't find it. i do have air suspension but don't really expect to ever use it, still i suppose it could come into play. anyway, 285/70/17 - is anyone running that size and can validate no rub/clearance problems? will probably go to something like this

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...+A/T&partnum=87TR7DESTATOWL&i1_Qty=4&i1_Qty=4

285/70/17 is equal to 3.52 ratio and truck has 3.55's so would expect that to be no issue.

also, if anyone is interested in the OEM chrome 20" wheels & tires (Goodyear Wrangler SRAs), and you are in the Northern Cal area, PM me. i'll make a deal but i'm not going to fool with shipping.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I hear you there; I don’t get the whole 20” wheel thing. 285/70/17s should fit; I’ve seen those posts too.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The LT285/70/17 tires will work great even in the air suspension's entry/exit mode.

They are slightly smaller than the stock 20" tires, so your drive ratio is higher numerically by a couple of percent. That makes the speedometer read about 1 mph low and adds some distance to the warranty. ;)

I saw Firestone Destination A/T tires (LT265/70R17) on a 2013 Outdoorsman at the dealer last year, so I assume that was the stock off-road tire when we could get them from the factory.

·
Registered
132 Posts
IMG-20140515-00068.jpg IMG-20140519-00075.jpg
This is my choice in tire rim combination. the 285-70-17 is almost exactly the same size as the 20" stock ram setup. I always run LT rated tires and 2 years ago when I bought my bighorn I priced out 20" LT tires and they were super expensive. I sold the stock tires and rims and bought the 17" instead. Not to mention unless you run really big tires on the 20" they do not belong off road due to lack of sidewall. In my opinion.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i don't want the 20's for several reasons....

one, i don't want them and its my money :)

ok now seriously

- 20's are grossly inefficient
- 20's are freaking expensive to replace
- 17's are going to be a lighter wheel (and its not just weight, its rotational mass and that's a HUGE difference)
- 17's are going to have a lot more choices and tires are also going to be lighter
- less rotational mass is good...like, really good. like perhaps the almost best dollar spend you can do for 'improving' nearly every part of your ride (mpg, acceleration, etc)
- yes, taller sidewall, better handling

oh and last, well, because that's what i want to do! ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
It has been a couple years but if I recall correctly the rims went for 800 and the tires for 400. they were of a bighorn and in 2012 they were the same as the sport rims. I kept the sensors. that is Canadian. It only took a couple of weeks to off load.

·
Registered
132 Posts
As for the rolling weight I question whether the P rated 20" with stock rim would be heavier than my LT 285-70-17 with 17" rims. But i think the difference would be minimal. as for cost my 17 tires were almost $100 less a piece compared to similar 20" tires. When I did the swap on my 2012 the difference in circumference was less than 1/4 " so I didn't bother adjusting the computer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I placed my order for the new ED last week the Laramie Longhorn didn't give me a choice, I would have went with 17" I do know the tires for the 20" cost more. I plan on having a second set of mounted rims for our winter driving (studless snow tires) here in Oregon, then the other set for summer. No off road stuff just some gravel roads, I guess I'll try the 20"s for the summer stuff and get 17" for the winter tires.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OEM 20" wheels are around 35lbs - aftermarket 17" wheel i'm looking at is 25.6lbs - that's a whopping difference. Then the tire weight difference, while not as significant as the wheel weight, still adds up. depending on what data/study you want to go with, 1 lb of rotation mass is almost 10 lbs real weight. plus some other benefits. i'll follow up with what i was reading regarding the impact of lowered rotational mass later. gotta run.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I run the same rims winter and summer, due to the cost of the second set of sensors. If you do this be aware that your speedometer and odometer may be off a little in the winter unless you go with a 285-70-17 winter.

·
Registered
735 Posts
OEM 20" wheels are around 35lbs - aftermarket 17" wheel i'm looking at is 25.6lbs - that's a whopping difference. Then the tire weight difference, while not as significant as the wheel weight, still adds up. depending on what data/study you want to go with, 1 lb of rotation mass is almost 10 lbs real weight. plus some other benefits. i'll follow up with what i was reading regarding the impact of lowered rotational mass later. gotta run.
FYI: The OEM 17" wheels are 25.5 lb.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
When I placed my order for the new ED last week the Laramie Longhorn didn't give me a choice, I would have went with 17" I do know the tires for the 20" cost more. I plan on having a second set of mounted rims for our winter driving (studless snow tires) here in Oregon, then the other set for summer. No off road stuff just some gravel roads, I guess I'll try the 20"s for the summer stuff and get 17" for the winter tires.
Tires have improved so much that there are now winter-rated tires that can be run all year with a 50,000-mile warranty. There are even a few LT models. A good option for some as it saves the hassle of storing and changing large, heavy truck tires. Of course, two sets of dedicated summer and winter tires will perform better but the differences are not what they once were.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Toyo G-20 Plus open Country I/T are the best studless snow tires I've ever found, we used them on all our staff rigs on the fire department and so I started using them on my own rigs - they are great. Very soft rubber so they wear fast that's why I have for years now run 2 sets of wheels, one winter set with the toyo snow tires and a set with Toyo street tread for summer. Haven't checked to see if they make 20" tires that will determine if I keep 20's or change to 17"

·
Registered
127 Posts
looking at these as replacement wheels (truck is that granite crystal metallic, or as i like to call it, sparkly grey).

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...nish=Machined+w/Anthracite+Accent&showRear=no

and for tires want to go 285/70/17 - i could have sworn i saw another thread here that someone was running that size but now i can't find it. i do have air suspension but don't really expect to ever use it, still i suppose it could come into play. anyway, 285/70/17 - is anyone running that size and can validate no rub/clearance problems? will probably go to something like this

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...+A/T&partnum=87TR7DESTATOWL&i1_Qty=4&i1_Qty=4

285/70/17 is equal to 3.52 ratio and truck has 3.55's so would expect that to be no issue.

also, if anyone is interested in the OEM chrome 20" wheels & tires (Goodyear Wrangler SRAs), and you are in the Northern Cal area, PM me. i'll make a deal but i'm not going to fool with shipping.
Yes I am, this is the third Ram I have run these on with no rubbing. I would have even gone with the 295s but they are way out of my price range. Went with the Bridgestone Duller AT from Tirebuyer.com. Free shipping to house or your choice of installer. I still have a set of 17" rims from Performance Plus Tires, also free shipping with a set of Mastercraft Courser MTs on them from last truck. They're for the off-road hunting season. Good luck with the change over.

20140504_115049.jpg

·
Registered
132 Posts
My point was that you will save weight with the rims, but if you go with the LT 285-70-17 instead of the stock P-rated tire i would think you would lose any weight advantage of the rim. The michelins I run are rated at 55lbs a piece and the stock 20" good years are 43lbs according to the tire rack site. So with the math Stock tires and rims 20"=78lbs a piece and the LT 285-70-17 plus 17" rims=80.6 lbs
Geuss it depends on the tire selection but if you go with a LT 285 the weight is almost a wash.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The Toyo G-20 Plus open Country I/T are the best studless snow tires I've ever found, we used them on all our staff rigs on the fire department and so I started using them on my own rigs - they are great. Very soft rubber so they wear fast that's why I have for years now run 2 sets of wheels, one winter set with the toyo snow tires and a set with Toyo street tread for summer. Haven't checked to see if they make 20" tires that will determine if I keep 20's or change to 17"
Toyo was one of the original brands of studless tires and used ground up walnut shells in the rubber compound. Sounds funny but they have a good reputation, although today there are perhaps better performing winter tires from Bridgestone, Michelin and Nokian. Unfortunately, I don't think any of these come in 275/60-20, so your plan to use 17" in the winter makes sense. Maybe other northern Ram owners can tell us what 20" winter tires work for them.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
your Michelin's are fat! ;)

i'm not sure what i'll do as i keep waffling back & forth on either 265 or 285's.

17" wheel is now down to 25lbs.

have to keep in mind the stock 20's are still just a P rated tire... LT tires by definition are going to weigh a lot more. for example a Goodyear Wrangler AT Kevlar P265/70/17 weighs 41lbs. the exact same tire but LT265/70/17 weighs 50lbs. a LT 285/70/17 in the same tire is up to 54lbs each.

i do need a little math/gear help here ... the 265/70/17 (31.7" diameter) would be closer to 3.80 ratio and the 285 (32.8" diameter) is almost dead on 3.92 ratio. does that seem right?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts