RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle Car Speedometer Gauge Auto part

I keep it over the Check Engine Light. Actually doesn't bother me. Don't see the CEL and forget about the sticker. Sure I can eliminate the CEL with my Ultra Gauge but it keeps coming back. Today I took it to Firkins Ram in Bradenton.

Simple. They did not delete. There was no drama like I read about so often here. 1/2 hour later they gave me the truck back and this paper.

Text Font Line Parallel Receipt

Notice that the new DEF system is the same number as that TSB placed here for our reference. Also note I'm not remotely upset, yelling or deranged about this. To me the dealer and Chrysler/Fiat are being good and responsable. I don't know or really care how long it takes for the new DEF sytem to come . "Someday my ship will come".

For now I notice no change in operation. The light doesn't bother me either. I have my sticker.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
That's what they replaced on mine, but I never got a CEL or code...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
View attachment 6805

I keep it over the Check Engine Light. Actually doesn't bother me. Don't see the CEL and forget about the sticker. Sure I can eliminate the CEL with my Ultra Gauge but it keeps coming back. Today I took it to Firkins Ram in Bradenton.

Simple. They did not delete. There was no drama like I read about so often here. 1/2 hour later they gave me the truck back and this paper.

View attachment 6806

Notice that the new DEF system is the same number as that TSB placed here for our reference. Also note I'm not remotely upset, yelling or deranged about this. To me the dealer and Chrysler/Fiat are being good and responsable. I don't know or really care how long it takes for the new DEF sytem to come . "Someday my ship will come".

For now I notice no change in operation. The light doesn't bother me either. I have my sticker.
Great attitude. Hope all goes well. Are they replacing the sensors and injectors etc or what exactly?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Same here Captainmal. FCA was no problem and I haven't seen the P20EE code since. Have noticed the system regens faster but that might just be because the ice jams are melting:) Hope you get yours faster than the month it took for mine.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The service rep said my DEF injector should arrive today and they will install the new SCR and Injector tomorrow.

I hope they followed the following procedure for the SCR failure.

Remember this is from an electrical engineering viewpoint.

Auxiliary Cathode and Gate Leads not Twisted
If the auxiliary cathode (small red) and gate (white) are not twisted together properly it can cause false triggering or the device turning on when it should be off. The proper twist for these is one twist per inch. This eliminates EMF (a.k.a. noise).
Loose gate connection at SCR or terminal board.
This is typically caused by improper or non-soldered gate connection to the device and/or firing board. It could also be the result of improper matching of connectors. That is, metal or plastic undersized male connector fitting into female connector. There were incidences when they used 3/16” male with ¼” female. This will create heat (40 volt potential), which in turn melts solder to the terminal board and breaks the connection.
Bad snubber (R&C) network across SCR.
Snubbers are resistor capacitor networks (circuits) which limit rapid rises in voltage or current in short time periods. If the snubber network is malfunctioning or not designed to handle the load ( as some of the older units did), spikes can be passed on to the SCR causing failure.
Cold solder joint.
Cold solder joint on either the gate drive circuit or the snubber network are suspect to poor connections. Again, it boils down to getting good connections, avoiding heat build up and making sure there are no spurious paths for the current to take.
Bad firing amplifier.
A SCR may show that it is not conducting when it should be. This may be caused by insufficient, or no gate drive caused by a bad firing amplifier.
Small crack in the printed circuit board electrical circuit.
One of the more frustrating and hard to find problems is a small crack in the printed circuit board circuitry. This shows up as an intermittent in the system and therefore is difficult to trace.
Improper torque or pressure.
When conducting current the silicon chip, or junction, within the SCR package generates a great deal of heat. In order to get the heat away from the junction, it is imperative to torque the stud type SCR’s to their specifications listed in our catalog.
With Hockey Puck or disc type SCR;s, making sure there is good heat transfer is a function of pressure, in pounds per square inch (PSI), applied to the SCR. Again this varies with the size of the package. It is also very important that all interfaces are parallel as you alternately tighten the clamping nuts, ¼ turn each, until you reach the proper pressure.
If the junction overheats, the SCR will continue to conduct when it should be off, thus causing major circuit problems.
Loss of cooling.
The system cooling can either be liquid or air in conjunction with a pump and/or fan. If the cooling system fails, from clogged filter, loss of coolant pressure, or airflow, then the entire circuit is in danger. Significant heat is generated by these components and overheating will eventually cause junctions to start failing.
Insufficient gate drive to the SCR.
SCR’s need a hard drive to get the total junction on and ready to accept the system current. A hard drive is typically an initial gating pulse of 25 volts at 1 amp for 1 microsecond then rapidly decaying to 3 volts and 500 milliamps. If the gate drive is insufficient to get the total junction on thin when the system current pulse occurs it will hit the portion of the junction that is on. This can cause a current burn through destroying the junction thus causing a device failure.
Cracked Insulation.
Old insulation that has become cracked can cause a short circuit under normal operating conditions. This will cause massive failure of electronic components including the SCR.
In summary, SCR’s will not fail by themselves. Something external causes them to fail. Before you pullout the failed SCR’s and install new ones make sure you locate the cause of the failure. Check the above ten possibilities. If you still don’t know the reason, have the failed devices analyzed to see if the junctions will give you an indication of the failure mode.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yes I agree that some of us were angry but the circumstances are different. I was told that my truck was not drivable. I hope that u have a better experience which you seem to do already.
Just to share this with you, VW sent me a letter today telling me to bring my car in because of a problem with the emission system (diesel) that I never knew about. I wish that chrysler did the same.

Reactions: RobSST

·
Premium Member
14,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lonestar4x4 - I find your comments unreal. To me there should NOT be any printed circuit boards, cold-soldier joints, hockey pucks and so many things have no clue in our vehicles.

I want a set of points, a distributer and a simple, color-coded wiring harness to the lights. That's not going to happen today but should. I laugh at those who NEED blue, teeth, remote phones, rain-sensing wipers, automatic door locks, windows and wipers that respond to atmospheric conditions and lights that know when it's dark. It's a joke and we all pay for it.

JohnC can have my horse. When I rented two for my last elk hunt I severly damaged my hand punching one that tried to bite me. Big mistake on his part and I cold-conked the SOB with my right hand. Swelled the darn thing up too. Of course, never had trouble with that creature the rest of the week. I don't trust horses because so many let them dictate their stupid desires to you they expect it from all.

Same with these new vehicles. Too many of us forget the truck is a transportation from point A to point B. Does not have to be any more than that.

P20EE code as DataRider so aptly related. DEF BS to me. "Delete" is the real answer.

Reactions: 2443

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Sounds like a dead B1rd to me...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Lonestar4x4 - I find your comments unreal. To me there should NOT be any printed circuit boards, cold-soldier joints, hockey pucks and so many things have no clue in our vehicles.

I want a set of points, a distributer and a simple, color-coded wiring harness to the lights. That's not going to happen today but should. I laugh at those who NEED blue, teeth, remote phones, rain-sensing wipers, automatic door locks, windows and wipers that respond to atmospheric conditions and lights that know when it's dark. It's a joke and we all pay for it.

JohnC can have my horse. When I rented two for my last elk hunt I severly damaged my hand punching one that tried to bite me. Big mistake on his part and I cold-conked the SOB with my right hand. Swelled the darn thing up too. Of course, never had trouble with that creature the rest of the week. I don't trust horses because so many let them dictate their stupid desires to you they expect it from all.

Same with these new vehicles. Too many of us forget the truck is a transportation from point A to point B. Does not have to be any more than that.

P20EE code as DataRider so aptly related. DEF BS to me. "Delete" is the real answer.
While you are wishing, add in $0.29/gal gas cause you going to need it for that hit and miss engine. :D;)

·
Premium Member
14,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Get to a stationary engine show and watch those engines power tractors, working equipment and small trains. That big flywheel keeps them truckin'. Heck, that old Ford 2000 diesel tractor I own looks like it should be under the junkpile. 1966 and never restored. Darn thing fires right up, takes me to the hunting fields, plows, cuts, tills and plants. It has the power to pull a house down and do it on a sip of diesel.

We have moved away from "reasonable" for far too long.

·
Premium Member
2,187 Posts
Get to a stationary engine show and watch those engines power tractors, working equipment and small trains. That big flywheel keeps them truckin'. Heck, that old Ford 2000 diesel tractor I own looks like it should be under the junkpile. 1966 and never restored. Darn thing fires right up, takes me to the hunting fields, plows, cuts, tills and plants. It has the power to pull a house down and do it on a sip of diesel.

My first tractor was a Ford 2000 diesel. Wish I still had that one...

·
Registered
262 Posts

I hear what you're saying about vehicles being overly complex and technology-ridden, but I'll wish you luck in finding a completely non-computer controlled diesel engine that can haul around a 7000+ pound 4x4, get close to 30mpg doing it, and not spit so much pollution out into the air that you can't see what is pulling up behind you. Those annoying computer systems in our trucks do provide some benefits here and there.

(And it is quite ironic that this is being discussed on an internet forum of all places. Seems to me this would be better conversation to have via telegraph or smoke signals in keeping with the anti low-tech theme. :p )

·
Registered
178 Posts
Lol. This technology reminds me of what someone once said to me about cell phones: when they work they are great; when they don't, they're frustrating and maddening. You can't live with them or without them. ��

·
Premium Member
14,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Vehicle Motor vehicle Tractor Soil Automotive tire

Here's my Ford 2000. No emission control so it can "roll some smoke". No attempt on my part to restore or even repair. I put in food plots, cut and work the heck out of it. In the picture a couple friends are playing with a rattlesnake I happened to see and "take". The guy on my tractor wanted to try and operate it. He's the banjo player for Gators in the Sawgrass.

As for when you will have trouble??? How about never? How about tomorrow? Those emissions sensors operate in very high temperatures like jet engines in planes but have the quality of wire nuts in a battery toy. You tell me when they might break.

Reactions: JohnC

·
Registered
502 Posts
THis is why the truck I am building, a '69 GMC 2500 Crew cab truck is going to have a 4-53T Detroit diesel. NO electronics, no nothing! If I can spin the engine and have enough ether, it will start!!!!

Glad to hear the dealer took care of it drama free!!!

Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.