RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck ended its own life today. I'm in the middle of a pcs move to Colorado. I got a service electronic throttle message followed by loss of throttle response. Engine was still idling fine when i saw smoke coming from under the hood. I popped the hood to have a look and saw flames coming from the brake booster side. With nothing to put it out i focused on getting my family and belongings out of the truck. Oil temps and everything had been fine the entire trip, never over 240 degrees, coolant always 15 to 20 below the oil. Im more pissed about the damage to my evo though haha. Oh well, most important things were saved.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sorry to see/hear! With the way the Evo is secured it probably wouldn't have been feasible to slam it in reverse and no ramp it I take it?

How many miles on the truck? Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
81k miles. It was just cosmetic damage to the evo so i was lucky there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
398 Posts
Wow, seems to be 1 every couple of weeks here? Did you do the AEM?

Just a guess that your EGR burned a hole in your intake and then it is marshmallow time...

Glad you and your family is safe.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,971 Posts
Sorry about your loss glad everyone it ok. Thanks also for posting the pics. Please do share your experiences with this going forward.

·
Registered
164 Posts
it will be interesting to know how much your insurance company paid you vs. KBB or other estimated value.

·
Registered
81 Posts
WOW!! Sorry for your loss.

Amazing that the hood & part of front wheel is gone from the heat.

·
Registered
164 Posts
melting point for aluminum alloys (hood and wheels) is about 1220 degrees F vs steel at about double that 2,500 degrees F.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks to the OP for his service to our great country!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I dont think the issue is isolated to the Ecodiesel. I saw a 2019 HEMI RAM on a flatbed today that had suffered an engine fire.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll try to keep you guys updated with things as they develop. In the meantime, any advice on other trucks? I don't hate ram now because of this but I am considering other makes at the moment lol.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts