RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to love my little 2015 Eco-Diesel Outdoorsman. She would normally get me 22-23mpg, was quiet as can be, and didn't really do much wrong. But then the DEF gauge went out, but no worries, that is a minor thing. Then it started doing regens quite frequently, then there was a lawsuit thing, then my buddy's Eco-Diesel burned to the ground, then two weeks later a recall came out for the thing that caused his truck fire, and so on and so on.

I got the engine flash done, and my mileage started to drop. First it was down to 20, then to 19, and then to 18.5. Cold starts and acceleration turned horrid with me ending up almost getting t-boned on a few occasions, and then finally, the turbo started to for lack of a better term, "skip" when under constant load at low RPM.

So long story short, the $3100 check came in the mail and that coupled with the trade in for the Eco, made for a good start on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to trucks and engines. It got traded in for a Ford F250 with the 7.3l Godzilla motor.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Very nice! Congrats, I’m sure you’re gonna love that big 7.3! Remember, it’s not miles per gallon, it’s smiles per gallon!!! Keep us updated on how it does, including mpg. I suspect it’ll be descent with the new 10 speed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice! Congrats, I’m sure you’re gonna love that big 7.3! Remember, it’s not miles per gallon, it’s smiles per gallon!!! Keep us updated on how it does, including mpg. I suspect it’ll be descent with the new 10 speed.
The 10-speed transmission is awesome so far. It idles down the freeway at 75mph at 1500 RPM. I find myself having to use cruise much more on this truck because it is so unnoticeable that it is going 80.

And for a HUGE truck with the capability of this one I was expecting a little worse mileage. I am averaging around 13.8 to 14mpg with it so far. I pulled my enclosed trailer with it for a 20 mile test loop and with my Eco Diesel it would go from 22 down to 14mpg (before the flash). With this truck it went from 13.8 down to 13.4mpg.

On one of the on-ramps to the freeway I had to back off the gas because we got going too fast too soon even with the trailer.

Beautiful truck. I guess the dropped mileage efficiency was a huge issue for you...lol
Enjoy the new one.
The mileage I could deal with, but the little wonky stuff with the diesel and then having the turbo start to flake out made me feel that my particular truck wasn't going to be long term reliable. And, if I'm going to pay more for diesel, DEF, and increased maintenance, AND have reduced mileage; why not have a truck that can pull whatever I want to behind it and all in will cost about the same per mile to operate? 14mpg to 18mpg isn't that much different when I can now buy the cheaper fuel to do it with.

So far it has been a darn good truck but it is far too soon to tell how it will do long term. My fingers are crossed.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Very nice new truck and that 7.3 looks like quite the engine built for commercial use. I was surprised that the curb weight of the 250 gas is "only" 6500 lbs, only about 700-800 more than a Ram 1500 crew cab. I suspect you'll be able to get 15 mpg combined unloaded, not horrible mileage for the capability and what it is. And it's certainly not a throw away motor design, that's a 5000 hour plus engine. Did you get the 3.55 gears? 15 won't happen with the 430 lol.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice new truck and that 7.3 looks like quite the engine built for commercial use. I was surprised that the curb weight of the 250 gas is "only" 6500 lbs, only about 700-800 more than a Ram 1500 crew cab. I suspect you'll be able to get 15 mpg combined unloaded, not horrible mileage for the capability and what it is. And it's certainly not a throw away motor design, that's a 5000 hour plus engine. Did you get the 3.55 gears? 15 won't happen with the 430 lol.
I was thinking the same thing on the motor. They designed this thing for extreme long term use. Not cylinders that shut off, no valve mechanisms to break, no anything other than an old school overbuilt pushrod V-8. I did get the 3.55 gears, and so far it's sitting at around 14mpg. Not too bad for that big of a truck, and one that can pull whatever I want to put behind it. :)

·
Registered
13,523 Posts
Totally different class of vehicle now. Hard to make a comparison. Do understand that fuel mileage is not important to you now. Guessing it was important and then got more important as it dropped (no tune?) and then now it's not important again.

Just like life, things change. Hope the new Ford fits your needs today.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Totally different class of vehicle now. Hard to make a comparison. Do understand that fuel mileage is not important to you now. Guessing it was important and then got more important as it dropped (no tune?) and then now it's not important again.

Just like life, things change. Hope the new Ford fits your needs today.
Fuel mileage was important and still somewhat is. But engine longevity is also important to me as I typically do not go through vehicles unless they are completely worn out. Prior to my Eco Diesel my previous two trucks were just under 200k miles when they were wrecked into and totaled. I bought into the Eco Diesel because I though I could have my cake and eat it to, with good mileage and longevity. This is just my opinion based on my experiences with my truck but I was getting more and more of a feeling that this particular truck was not going to last a long time. Combine that with now a worsening fuel mileage, TERRIBLE throttle response when cold thanks to the reflash, and having to buy more expensive fuel and DEF to boot. All things added up just did not add up to me so it was time for a change.

You are right, no tune on my truck. I wanted to get the reflash and then go and get it tuned, but those thoughts and ideas went right out the window with the EPA tightening everything up. So I was either left with more cost for less performance and reduced engine life, or time to move on.

One of the reasons I did go with a heavier class of truck is yes, to pull larger trailers. But one of the main reasons I went with it was with this motor there are no gimmicks to breakdown later on. It is about as simple of an engine that you can get. I'd be willing to bet that if we pulled it apart, there aren't that many differences between it and a pushrod V-8 from 50 years ago.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Tfl trucks reports 9.8 mpg while towing 5k lbs with their Godzilla truck, and 13mpg unladen, so fuel economy isn't really comparable to the ecodiesel. But I'm sure it will be a trouble free engine for you which will be great for peace of mind. Cool truck with a lot of capability. I'd be interested in seeing an update down the road after you've put some miles on it.

Reactions: MAS

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Both neat trucks. I like the new 7.3 for sure. I know some have talked bad about the new ford 10 speed, but ive spent some time in a few and I haven't seen any ill behavior when ive been in them and the owners haven't reported anything, and I have asked.

That said I just cant fathom how some people make their vehicle buying decisions to go from an ecodiesel to a 250 7.3 liter. But hey last I checked we were free to drive what we wanted, hope your new ride is a good one.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hopefully the 10 sp holds up for you. A lot of reports of issues with it.
Like what? The F150’s have had issues, but that’s been programming, the GM 1500’s all share the basic transmission as the Ford’s, including hard parts. The ones in the HD trucks has been flawless other than some tuned diesels that are pushing 700+ horsepower and having issues. There’s far from a lot of those.
Also come on, Ram hasn’t put a worthwhile transmission behind a diesel since they started offering the Cummins in the 2500’s. Until 2019 that is, where I have understood that the 68RFE, has some decent parts behind it and the Aisin has been fairly sturdy, but very limited availability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
When did ram start using the Aisin? Dads is an 18 and has it and I know it wasn't the first year lol.

·
Registered
408 Posts
When did ram start using the Aisin? Dads is an 18 and has it and I know it wasn't the first year lol.
Ram started using the Aisin Seiki six-speed AS68RC automatic transmission in 2007, as an option on all of its diesel-powered chassis cab trucks

·
Registered
256 Posts
All of the Hot Rod'rs have their eye on the Gozilla. 440+ CID, 6 bolt mains, about an 1 inch bigger than the 351W, easily makes 600 wHP with an intake and cam swap. Some of the tuners are saying that with the correct turbo setup, 1500 wHP is possible on the stock engine. A couple of companies are even making a Fox Body engine swap kits for it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All of the Hot Rod'rs have their eye on the Gozilla. 440+ CID, 6 bolt mains, about an 1 inch bigger than the 351W, easily makes 600 wHP with an intake and cam swap. Some of the tuners are saying that with the correct turbo setup, 1500 wHP is possible on the stock engine. A couple of companies are even making a Fox Body engine swap kits for it.
I've seen that all the hot rod guys are eyeing it for easy big power numbers. That is most certainly something that I don't want to do but I'm glad there are quite a few folks that are thinking this is one heck of an overbuilt motor. In stock config it should be a pretty long term powerplant if I do my job of taking care of it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
My neighbours son's boss has a 250 and has had issues with his 10 sp. He said his boos can't wait to replace it but is under the$$ side of things with it.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I suspect a bolt on supercharger will be in the future. The displacement offers for many options...not to mention the simple 1940s push-rod technology. An engine that big and built for longevity will sustain much abuse and keep rolling.

It is on my 2022 list of options based on price and reviews.

·
Registered
746 Posts
My neighbours son's boss has a 250 and has had issues with his 10 sp. He said his boos can't wait to replace it but is under the$$ side of things with it.
Well my moms dads aunts nephews, CEO has a fleet of Cummings turbo diesels with DPF’s and EGR’s and Hemi valves and has had issues with em too.
Kind of a moot point, you don’t own, they don’t own, doesnt seem like the boss even owns it. Please be more specific and if you wanna hate Ford just say I hate Ford. It’s simpler, 10 speed is here to stay, wanna complain about ford Transmissions? Might wanna history lesson in the joke that is dodge Transmission’s until recently. There’s growing pains with all that is new and not understood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 46 Posts