RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
On TFL truck recently on their IKE gauntlet did a max tow test 7.3 vs 6.6 GM gas. The godzilla was over a minute faster than the 6.6 with better fuel economy. It was designed to bridge the gap between the 6.2 and 6.7 diesel Ford engines for capability. Anyways I don't think people who are use to diesel towing power would think they are driving a dog or anything. My god the times I did tow with my old ED I had my foot planted to the floor muttering "let's cook this son of a b", towing a double axle uhaul with no load (a ride on lawn mower) and basically no acceleration on only a slight grade. The diesel tow power must only apply to the 3/4 ton class. I was soured at a recent dealer bill when I had lots of powertrain left, emissions stuff, anyways I have no idea how you guys tow 30 foot travel trailers. GDE must really wake the things up, mine was always stock. As far as overall acceleration my Hemi will out tow my old truck by a mile, might do so at higher revs with more noise and 10 mpg max however. Anyways godzilla is designed for fleet and commercial application that need power and reliability before fuel economy. Basically a replacement for the old 6.8 V10 that they are still making in some applications.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Anyways I don't think people who are use to diesel towing power would think they are driving a dog or anything. My god the times I did tow with my old ED I had my foot planted to the floor muttering "let's cook this son of a b", towing a double axle uhaul with no load (a ride on lawn mower) and basically no acceleration on only a slight grade. The diesel tow power must only apply to the 3/4 ton class.
I truly believe that a lot of people omit the "Eco" part of this truck. While it is certainly a diesel, it is not a "towing diesel" as it's first job. Sure it will certainly tow and I used it as such many times, but it isn't what it was designed to do. I think the 3/4 ton diesels are an entirely different ballgame, but that is also why the motor upcharge and any hopes of fantastic fuel economy go right out the window.

No joke, the exact same F250 that I bought, but with their Powerstroke diesel is an additional $8000 over what I paid for mine, and remember that mine still has an upcharge over the base motor package.

Back to the Eco for a second, whenever we would pull our tandem cargo trailer with it we knew it was back there all the time. The truck was very sluggish on acceleration and at highway speeds it did not like holding speed at all. On even modest hills we would have to be really careful not to be on cruise as it would lose speed and downshift causing the motor to just hang darn near at red-line almost the entire way up the hill.

Speaking of cruise control, I am loving the cruise control on this Ford. When you have the truck in "Eco" mode, the cruise control acts as such. If you are going up a hill and lose a little speed, it will just give a bit more throttle without downshifting and you may or may not get back to your original speed while going up the hill. That same hill on "Normal" mode the truck will downshift and maintain speed no matter what. That is kind of nice to have those options.

·
Registered
13,523 Posts
Just thinking about towing with a gas engine. Is there a form of exhaust brake?

Without that feature it would be important to being able to hold a gear on long downhills. Maybe better with a manual transmission, though I do not think they are available. It would be a bit fearful to deal with a heavy load and a long downhill so you don't burn out brakes and get a run-away.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Just thinking about towing with a gas engine. Is there a form of exhaust brake?

Without that feature it would be important to being able to hold a gear on long downhills. Maybe better with a manual transmission, though I do not think they are available. It would be a bit fearful to deal with a heavy load and a long downhill so you don't burn out brakes and get a run-away.
There is not, but honestly until you get pretty deep into 1-ton territory and that 20k lbs and up range, most gas engines still seem to do pretty good with holding speed on down grades. While not a manual, you can select gears on some or even most of the HD trucks and it will hold that gear. I know that my little Eco did not do well even with our pretty small tandem axle enclosed trailer. I had to apply the brakes quite a few times on mountain passes.

·
Super Moderator
3,256 Posts
Yep to have your cake and eat it to with the Eco or towing several things help. ECM & TCM tunes with turbo brake, the honeycomb or other free flowing gril, yes I know the 8 speed helps to compensate but 3.92 helps beyond first gear and naturally everyone is entitled to their opinion, setup naturally with WDH & built in sway control. Then it's a pretty great fuel efficient and reliable platform for towing 1/2 ton appropriate loads, well at least if you don't tow at 70 mph in the hammer lane. When watching axle weights, tongue weight. even GVW, that means to an 8k trailer with the 1/2 ton platform. Same with problem free operation if you don't deal with the gumminet tunes & emissions systems your going to have problems. Much like the cats in 70s gas cars. Hopefully now with the new gen ED with emissions systems now built into the design instead of added to a euro design engine perhaps we will have minimal problems with emissions like gassers have since getting it sorted out so to speak.

The safely and comfortably controlling speed down a grade is another that is a lot in setup. I've had a 9,000 pound TT pushing me down a long 6 percent grade. Between the GDE turbo brake and occasional supplement from the factory TBC I never have to touch the truck brakes to control speed. Its very reassuring and keeps truck brakes cool and fresh for emergency stopping. Also partly why for me on average over the 672k miles truck brakes on my Eco last over 200k. I've read the new GM HD gassers have a pretty strong transmission brake that similarly works like a turbo brake.

·
Registered
746 Posts
GM does have hill descent control while towing and it did seem to help the other day while I was farting around with the enclosed trailer, was considering thinning the heard of diesels, once the aftermarket supports the 7.3 better, I might.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 46 of 46 Posts