RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These stock bologna skins just aren't gonna cut it this winter. I've even noticed on wet pavement this past weekend they are slipping off a spirited start (to get into traffic)... NOT FUN!

I REALLY LOVE the look of the Duratracs. I plan on staying with the stock size. I know the Cooper AT3's are probably the best selling replacement tire around town but I hear nothing but good reviews for the Duratrac tire. Then there is this Authority tire from Goodyear that you can only get at WalMart! Damn good looking tire and reviews on walmart.com as well. Anyone have the lowdown on these? Seen some bad too out there.

I like what I hear about winter driving with Duratrac even though they look like they'd not be good (like most MT tires suck for winter driving). Last year I drove 10,500mi between November 4th and April 1st - the bulk of our winter driving. Judging by most reviewers I'd get 2 winters out of these if I just keep them on my truck as I most likely would do. 26,000 mile per year is what I expect to drive unless my house sells soon ;)

So to make up my mind I'm going to reach out to this community to get input on the Duratrac tire and whatever else you have experience with.

Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not to throw another in the mix but you may want to consider Hankook ATM's. I am floored at how great mine are on and off the road.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not to throw another in the mix but you may want to consider Hankook ATM's. I am floored at how great mine are on and off the road.
I did see your post and pictures. I'm not sure if I like them. I will probably have to see them in person. Unless you want to post a close up picture of them on your truck

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have used Bfg KO's and GY duratracs. Duratracs are likely a little better winter tire. I do like the KO better overall. I went with Cooper m&s last year for winter only and is the best by a long shot. Will be buying Cooper AT3 for spring summer and fall use next year.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I run Duratracs on my wife's H 3. They look aggressive but are not noisy.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what would you guys think about going from a 265/70/17 to a 255/75/17?

Found this same tire on online and there is a $20/tire difference!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I had the duratracs in the stock size, I now have the cooper ATP/at3. Duratracs were heavy, loud and killed the mileage. Like the coopers, good compromise.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Cooper Discoverer A/TW Tire Test
I wanted these but ended up with Nitto Terra Grappler G2..Good luck.

View attachment 10615 View attachment 10616
I really like what I see with these A/TW tires. I think my area of the snowbelt fits right in, well....their wheelhouse.

Yes they aren't as tuff looking as the DURATRAC but sound like a perfect fit for my driving needs. I'll be checking them out today!

Thanks for the reminder BlueMerle - I forgot about this model until you posted.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I really like what I see with these A/TW tires. I think my area of the snowbelt fits right in, well....their wheelhouse.

Yes they aren't as tuff looking as the DURATRAC but sound like a perfect fit for my driving needs. I'll be checking them out today!

Thanks for the reminder BlueMerle - I forgot about this model until you posted.
I you like the Coopers have you considered the Goodyear prograde tires that are optional on the Tradesman and standard on the outdoorsman? Of coarse I don't know if you can get these in the 20" tire size, but the tread pattern is very similar to the Coopers, quiet on road, great in snow and for the limited amount of off road travel I have done they were great.

FYI I have a tradesman that I opted for the upgraded tires at a whopping $205 price increase. I also haven't had any of the issues that everyone with the SRAs are screaming about.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts

·
Administrator
4,559 Posts
Are these strictly for the 4X4 crowd or is there one for those of us with the 4X2?
Just my choices for replacing the SRA's and there were many; but based on reviews, my location and weather and driving conditions narrowed it down to those 2. I could not find an ATW to save my life so the Nitto's were it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I Have the Cooper ATWs and they were excellent last winter. After the first snow of the year, I decided there was no way I was keeping the SRAs on the truck, they were horrible. I think my next set of tires will be Duratracs, just because I like the aggressive look and they have a good winter reputation too. I've had several cars and always used dedicated winter tires such as Bridgestone Blizzaks, and I truly think the ATWs performed every bit as well. I did notice some reduction in performance on a few of the coldest days last winter. It seems that the rubber compound must get pretty hard in sub zero degree F temps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts