RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I wanted to roll it by you guys to see what you think.

I'm getting close to retirement age. So I was thinking about supplementing my retirement by VLOGging. Wait! Don't stop reading yet. I'll try to get to the point, but there's a lot of information I want you to see in order to get the full picture.

Okay, so I've recently become aware of a lot of folks VLOGging about their "RV life." Lots. So there may be a bit of market saturation. But from looking a few videos, they led me to this place: WeeRoll. WeeRoll doesn't take cargo trailers and turn them into campers, they build them from the ground up. So they kinda look like a cargo trailer, but they're not. They're light weight and are bare bones. Here's a couple of pics:

They've taken a lot of inspiration from AirStream and even call this one the Silver Cloud. This would be the most expensive model (probably) as it's all aluminum--even the frame.

So, since I ran across this I have had this hair up my butt that I should get one of these. Looks like the "high end" is ~$7000. Bring it home, get the interior set up with a bed and stuff. Then hit the road and VLOG along the way. I guess I would have to make some miles then camp somewhere for a few days and get the video together to post up whenever I can find a good Wi-Fi signal. I already have a fridge sitting in the office that I had just bought for the big truck and used maybe a couple of weeks before buying the new truck, so it's just been sitting. I have a twin bed in the office. So I already have some of the stuff I need to get set up.

Now comes my "hook." Since I found out about the light weight which would probably end up being less than or about the same as a couple of WaveRunners on a trailer which I used to do like this:

Sorry for the incomplete sentence! Anyhow, that was the car that I traded in for the 3D. But I have the '95 Camaro Z28 sitting in the garage waiting for me to get off my broke behind and get it together. So why not use that??? It needs paint, so I would probably try to do some House of Kolor. Since the car is originally Arctic White with black roof and mirrors, I think I would stay with that theme. Sort of. I have Abalone on my mind.

I think you can also use the flake with black, so hopefully it would blend nicely. And it would be eye-catching, so I would be extremely recognizable on the road. And it might actually attract subscribers and since you now need 1,000 subscribers to get paid by YouTube I would need all the help I can get. Perhaps I could eventually get a drone with a tracking feature and film myself going up or down a mountain. Maybe through the redwood forest or something. My goal would be to put up a video every week if possible.

And then I saw this pic with the non-traditional tow vehicle:

But when I saw the next pic, I was all, "Heck yeah! If they can do it, so can I."

I've been thinking a lot about selling the house lately, so that won't be a problem. I could stay on the road for extended periods. And once that has played out, maybe I could upgrade the rolling stock. Maybe get a larger trailer to tow behind the 3D. Or maybe even get a long bed 3D and set it up for camping without a trailer--probably not, though. Maybe work my way up to a real AirStream. Who knows.

So, is this just too hare-brained to work? Would any of you have any interest? At all? Would you subscribe?

Or should I just direct my energy in a different direction?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some pics of the car as it sits now:

The hood is an Ultra Z which should look like this when painted:

The (uninstalled) wing on the back is the Commando

You might be able to make out the Wings West lower body kit stacked on top of the wing.

And, just to trow in a wrench, I will be lowering it with Strano springs and components. I guess I'll have to also give Steve (Timber Grove) a call and see if he can fabricate something to help me out. I'm sure I'll need some help back there! I have a call in to WeeRoll and awaiting their response to my questions of height and weight on the hitch.

33 views and no replies? Come on! Surely somebody wants to burst my bubble.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,463 Posts
To me it was like watching a dog chasing his tail. What the heqq is VLOG?

You show a few different tiny box trailers. they look good for throwing in a cooler, some suit cases and hunting gear. Maybe one can haul a small horse and bale of hay. Couple gallons of water would be nice. Now if you are thinking of staying in one overnight, do it. Cold, hot, sweaty, no potty, shower, cooking, decent bed etc. Better a tent in a campground than hauling that thing to a campground and paying money to buy and haul the thing.Like the "tiny houses" it takes an old or young hippie to deal with that level of subsistence. Market it at a free love concert that celebrates legalized marijuana.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To me it was like watching a dog chasing his tail. What the heqq is VLOG?
A video blog or video log, usually shortened to vlog[1] /vlɒɡ/, is a form of blog for which the medium is video,[2] and is a form of web television. Vlog entries often combine embedded video (or a video link) with supporting text, images, and other metadata. Entries can be recorded in one take or cut into multiple parts. Vlog category is popular on the video sharing platform YouTube.

You show a few different tiny box trailers. they look good for throwing in a cooler, some suit cases and hunting gear. Maybe one can haul a small horse and bale of hay. Couple gallons of water would be nice. Now if you are thinking of staying in one overnight, do it. Cold, hot, sweaty, no potty, shower, cooking, decent bed etc. Better a tent in a campground than hauling that thing to a campground and paying money to buy and haul the thing.Like the "tiny houses" it takes an old or young hippie to deal with that level of subsistence. Market it at a free love concert that celebrates legalized marijuana.
Yes, they are tiny. Did you miss the part where I would be towing it with a Camaro?

I'm not a hunter, so I wouldn't have any hunting gear to stow. I also would not have suitcases because I would be installing some storage of some sort. Maybe some IKEA furniture.

No horses, either.

You must have also missed the part where I already have a decent bed that I would be putting in it. I would have to bring my own water and other subsistence items.

I don't see that it would be much different from when I was an over the road trucker when I didn't have a potty or anything and would have to actually leave the truck to take care of business.

Check out the very first pic. See that little square on the front? That's a removable slot where you can slide in a $100 air conditioner. I would prefer a rooftop unit, but if I had to I would use this. Oh, and these come pre-wired with outlet(s).

Campgrounds and truck stops have showers. At truck stops I would definitely try to avoid parking in the big truck spaces and avoid the normal shower rush hour times. I've never stayed at a campground, so I'm not sure if I would have the same concern then.

I guess I am a bit of a hippie, though. Long hair and everything. But I don't smoke dope, so I guess I'm on fence.

Thanks for the reply, Cap'n! I sure wish you wouldn't make me so defensive. But I guess I could have done a better job of illustrating my idea. I was just afraid that my post was already sooooooooo long that nobody would read it and give their opinion/thoughts.

Anybody else? Come on! Don't make me pull the hair out. Then I won't know what to do. :(

·
Registered
502 Posts
Slightly different spin that takes the Camero out of the equation. When I was a kid my dad took the back seat out of a '51 DeSoto, made a plywood platform from the back of the front seat to about half way through the trunk, put bug screen behind the window trim on the back doors and ta-da we had a camper. My point, do the same thing to a mini-van and leave the trailer at home. One less complication to deal with!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm already sorry that I asked. :( I guess my "point" is so far out there that nobody gets it. So I'll try to be more clear.

I want to use stuff that I already have as much as possible. Hence the Camaro. I'm not looking to buy another vehicle--especially a minivan.

I'm hoping that a "riced out" Camaro will have a visual impact that might encourage folks to subscribe to the YouTube channel that I would create so that I could have a few extra dollars.

After 25 or so years of trucking, I'm pretty sure that I can survive in a small space for extended periods of time.

Don't get me wrong: I am looking for constructive criticism. But I'm not looking to get into hunting or horseback riding or soccer moming. I've delineated the equipment I have and some of the equipment I would buy. I've also (sort of) outlined what I'm looking to do/get. From what I've gathered on another forum, the consensus there seems to be that I should do it if I want to do it. Just don't expect to make any money at it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Is the Camaro a manual or automatic. Gear oil in manual cooks it doesn't cool, if it's auto you might be able to do it.

A person can make a living Vlogging? I thought it was something to do if a person is on the outs with the wife and looking for a spot to rant on about things. Kind of like forums lol.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Are you kidding? You are getting ready to retire! Do what YOU WANT TO DO. This is a time to experiment with the things that you have always thought about but haven't able to do.
Hell, I get it. Small camper, nice car to cruze around in. As long as you can tow it ok what's not to like?

I say do it! How else will you ever know? Nothing better than taking a new direction in life and trying something that you've never done. There's hundreds of people out there that have gotten into full time camping using everything from million dollar motor homes to teardrop trailers. There's lots of ways to make money while camping and lots of fun to be had.

You only live once! Nothing worse than saying
"I should have done that when I could....but now its too late"

I retired 6 months ago. A few weeks ago I helped a friend move a boat from Vermont to Maine and then to Massachusetts. This guy was from the Island of Bonaire and flies by the seat of his pants. He hadn't made ANY plans. It's a long story but the point is that I would have never got involved before I retired. I knew what I was getting into and I knew that it would be an adventure, and believe me, it was!
And I'm very glad that I did it.

Good luck with your new adventures and happy camping!

ENJOY your retirement....I am!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the Camaro a manual or automatic. Gear oil in manual cooks it doesn't cool, if it's auto you might be able to do it.

A person can make a living Vlogging? I thought it was something to do if a person is on the outs with the wife and looking for a spot to rant on about things. Kind of like forums lol.
It's a stick. I never had problems yanking the WaveRunners around, but I never went further than a couple hundred miles at a time.

Are you kidding? You are getting ready to retire! Do what YOU WANT TO DO. This is a time to experiment with the things that you have always thought about but haven't able to do.
Hell, I get it. Small camper, nice car to cruze around in. As long as you can tow it ok what's not to like?

I say do it! How else will you ever know? Nothing better than taking a new direction in life and trying something that you've never done. There's hundreds of people out there that have gotten into full time camping using everything from million dollar motor homes to teardrop trailers. There's lots of ways to make money while camping and lots of fun to be had.

You only live once! Nothing worse than saying
"I should have done that when I could....but now its too late"

I retired 6 months ago. A few weeks ago I helped a friend move a boat from Vermont to Maine and then to Massachusetts. This guy was from the Island of Bonaire and flies by the seat of his pants. He hadn't made ANY plans. It's a long story but the point is that I would have never got involved before I retired. I knew what I was getting into and I knew that it would be an adventure, and believe me, it was!
And I'm very glad that I did it.

Good luck with your new adventures and happy camping!

ENJOY your retirement....I am!
I was a bit premature about announcing my retirement. I'm 59, so it's a few years away. But I've been thinking about selling my house a lot lately--before I got this hair. You know, just to make finances more manageable. But I still need to do something to generate income, so the VLOGging is probably not feasible since it will take quite a while to build up the subscribers needed to produce income. Shucks, it might never happen. Probably. But you never know, right?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm getting some input from my other forum also. Some of it is actually constructive. I'll post up some of it here for you guys' perusal.

for the love of god, please don't put that wing on that car. that's all I have to add.
Come on now!

You want to sell your house to start a youtube channel about what you admit is an already saturated market. What could go wrong?
The reason(s) for selling the house aren't to start the channel. Saturated yes, but ain't nobody else pulling a camper with a riced out Camero! Wouldn't you want to follow a fat, old hippie to see what happens next?

Since you asked...

Yea, don't do this unless YOU want to do it. I really, really doubt you'd get over 1k subs, maybe not even get to 1k. You're right, the market is full of these types of people, check out r/vanlife on reddit, lots and lots and lots of people do this.
Yes, I asked! Like I said, I just got a hair up my butt. The feeling may pass, but I'm still all full of myself for coming up with this shit! And I really need people who are more in the know--like you!--to let me know if this would be a feasible way to supplement my retirement income. Which won't be much. :(

Isn't there enough room in your parking lot for me to overnight?

Don't do that if your goal is to make money.
I'm sensing a trend here...

PS: This sounds an idea an 18 year old came up with. :jest:
Perhaps I regress.

Like others have said, the chances of you making decent money off of it is very rare. You want to do it for fun and maybe it gets subscribers then that is the way to go.

Also, that wheel you have leaning up against the rear bumper, do you have the full set?
Yeah, the trend is strong about not doing it for the money! But is there another reason to have subscribers? Yes, I have the whole set of wheels. But not all of the center caps!

Most successful youtube channels are just people sharing what they enjoy doing anyway.

If you rely on the income from your YT channel, you're going to be disappointed 99% of the time.
Yeah, I wouldn't want to rely on the income. But I was hoping that I would eventually get a few $$$ out of it. That appears to be a pretty lofty ideal at this point. But that's why I need LS2! To keep me on the straight and narrow. I still think it would be fun, though. Hey, maybe I could take a Ruckus with me!

I do not want what the Zigster is smoking tonight.
:(

If you enjoy doing it, sure go for it. Just don't count on it as a source of income.
That appears to be the consensus here. In a nutshell.

Dragging a trailer just big enough for a bed sounds like something I’d like to do for maybe a week.
I figure that trucking for about a quarter century probably has me broken in. Whenever I would drag the WaveRunners around with the black car, I would get a lot of attention. So I was thinking that maybe pulling a camper would generate even more interest. I could be the next thermostat guy!

There are hp wheels. :drool:

Get the trailer if you want and make vbloggs.

I had a lot of negative comments when I started my business
It came from almost getting fired at my full time job down to my wife, which still bitches at me at times.
But it was something I love doing and i knew I could make money with it regardless of what people think.

I'm almost at a point (because of the way oil field is) of going full time lawn or getting a really good paying CWI job.
Which a certain company is considering hiring me they are just waiting for the pick up to afford me.

Don't listen to negativity bro. You only on this earth for so long.
All you can do is try it out.
You know, you just reminded me of all the "advice" I got against going into trucking. Seems like it's never a good time to get into it. I went against everything everybody ever told me such as buying a truck with no money down instead of paying cash. Then when I totally branched out on my own that was another can of worms. But it worked out. See what you did? Now I'm really gonna think.

ziggy, why don't you have sell all your shit, go to some pretty beach in Cambodia and live out the rest of your days.

could live like a f'n boss over there for under 2k, shit prob 1500/month. could prob get some broad to live w you as well and keep your shit clean.
Roughly half that in the Philippines. I've heard you can live well on $750 per month as long as you're not out partying all the time.

I stopped reading your first post half way through.. not sure you can draw a regular reader/viewership :O
Thanks. That's what I was thinking, too. I mean, even if I could make some money, it'll take quite a while to build up enough of a following for that to happen. If ever.

What year was that?
I'll try to cover the bases. The white car in the garage is a 1995. The black car pulling the WaveRunners was a 1996. The WaveRunners were 2013s bought in May 2013. I bought my 2015 EcoDiesel in April 2015. So I was pulling the WaveRunners with the 1996 from 2013 until 2015.

Go watch Matt Carriker's channel, he has a ton of subscribers (over a mill) by being entertaining (if not a bit over the top) and with excellent editing, hell even Allyn Hayne only has a little over a 100K subscribers and I think he makes an income from youtube. If you can be something along those lines then sure....expect income from a channel, if you are like all the other guys out there.....well maybe not.

If I were you, I would start a youtube channel now and see if you can get to a couple hundred subscribers, just by being witty and doing stupid shit. Hell you try to make your first video, gather a couple hours of video, go to edit it, and reallize nobody wants to watch and old fat guy breathing heavy for 15 minutes.

I guess maybe one to watch and get some ideas, is Wranglerstar, he isn't incredibly witty or entertaining, he is just really good at filming and editing and talks about topics that are interesting to some people......
See? Those guys are making a living at it--and I had never heard of them before. Yes, I did look them up. I'm sure that I would be quite tame in comparison. At my age, shit like that hurts more and takes much longer to heal.

Nobody wants to see a fat guy breathing heavy for 15 minutes? Yeah? Explain Francis.

I guess I'll have to start thinking of a name for the channel. I already have one under my name with just my little vids on it. But I guess I'll have to come up with something more catchier and more memorable so that folks can check it out later. Easier to do if they can remember the catchy name, right?

First thing I'd do would be make a video saying about how you are going to put that spoiler on the Camaro. Any decent human will come in and tell you to stop. Maybe half of them will subscribe to see if you go through with it or not.
Thanks for the idea! You know, if I do this you will be ONE of the FIRST LS2ers I would be visiting.

Literally none of this is a good idea.
:(

That wing is hideous. Good god man, trash that thing. Other than that, have you ever tried videoing yourself? Editing videos? Etc.? That is half the battle. Nobody wants to watch a bad home vid in 2018. They especially don't want to watch one of a boring dude that stumbles on his words and suck on camera. If you really want to do this then try to think of cool places to visit and document the location and what it's like staying there. Gotta be unique.

And did I mention getting rid of that wing? :picard:
Okay, I'm'a take these in order.

The wing has to stay! That would part of the ricing out that would make me more noticeable which would lead to more folks seeing my YouTube address posted on the back of the trailer and checking out the channel. And these trailers come with a receiver on the back, so it's quite possible that I would eventually carry a Razkull around with me.

Now, think of me riding that thing. All 340 pounds of me. Now, if the wing wasn't enough to sear a memory into your brain I think the Razkull would cement it!

Although I have not tried videoing myself, I have done a small bit of editing. In my example below, there is only one pic with me in it as I was the one doing most of the videoing. The editing was done on outdated and FREE software. I guess that I will have to work on not being boring--and I would definitely try writing a script before going into a monologue or something. Of course that won't be possible if something spontaneous happens, but I'm not entirely inarticulate.

Visiting and documenting cool places was pretty much the entire point! I guess nobody would know that since I didn't come directly out and say it other than to mention eventually getting a drone with a tracking feature on it. Maybe that way I could "compete" with the folks who have extra people to operate the drone. I would also have in my plan to drop by different places along the way and say hi to as many LS2ers and persons from other fora along the way that I can. And maybe try to work in some YouTubers and maybe even piggyback off of their celebrity.

get a matching wing for the trailer too
Now there's an idea! OMG, do they still make them??? I will now scour the interwebs.

I don't think any of this is a good idea, especially the wing.

And I don't like hearing about your hairy butt. Please confine that subject to PM's with Griswold.
How a brother supposed to have fun? Hmmmmmmmm. Perhaps I could do lubricant reviews...

put the wing on the jet ski
WaveRunner gone. :( Had to pay some repairs on the big truck.

I think you're greatly overthinking this. That wing is hideous and will be more likely to push people away. Think about it... who are you going to listen to? Someone who has similar tastes as you or someone who has differing tastes than you? The only person in this thread that likes that wing is you.
I absolutely hate your logic! But it is logic, so I will try to calm myself down and consider it.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, as you can see the vast majority of posts on that forum are "advising" me to leave off the wing. :( Although there are other words of discouragement in most of the posts, there is the occasional nugget of encouragement.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not something I would subcribe to. Maybe it's just me, but those VLOG-ers never shut up. Just a bunch of bla-bla-bla. I get plenty of that from the in-laws. My kid is addicted to a vloger somewhere in florida. He's always watching him. If it makes money and you enjoy it, give it a shot.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not something I would subcribe to. Maybe it's just me, but those VLOG-ers never shut up. Just a bunch of bla-bla-bla. I get plenty of that from the in-laws. My kid is addicted to a vloger somewhere in florida. He's always watching him. If it makes money and you enjoy it, give it a shot.
Yeah, I find it hard to follow any of them. Seems like they just never get to the point and I lose interest. I would attempt to not add words just to hear myself talk. On the other hand, it seems like it works for those other folks...

Put a scantly clad beautiful woman in it and people will watch.
Believe you me I've been trying to figure out how to do that!

·
Registered
725 Posts
You gotta have a catchy shtick to pull it off. I don't think a ricer camaro would get it done. I recall a traveling vlogger that found a job in every state - probably not a good option if your planning to retire. Maybe look for swinging retirement communities and play strip poker in every state. Think of all those available grandmas out there. Or maybe tour all the alcohol/beer breweries one year. And then there's always non-profit causes. The trick is to tap into advertising/marketing/donation monies. Unfortunately, I hear youtube is more difficult to create a living from these days.

I think it would be great to sell the house, buy a motor home, and travel the country but I have a feeling living in campgrounds isn't any cheaper than owning a home. Heck even barebones National Forest permits are kinda pricey these days.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You gotta have a catchy shtick to pull it off. I don't think a ricer camaro would get it done. I recall a traveling vlogger that found a job in every state - probably not a good option if your planning to retire.
Well, I can't quite retire yet. And if I'd ever make any money at all off of this, it will still take quite a while to build up enough followers to where it would kick in. So, as of this moment what I'm looking at is that selling the house will enable me to pay off everything which would include the 3D and the damned credit cards that I used to make repairs to the big truck. And I'd probably have $50K or so left over as a nest egg. The big truck is still working, so I'd have that income if it doesn't break down any more. 3 more years until I "could" start drawing Social Security--but I've always heard that you take a beating if you start drawing at 62. So I'd probably wait on that if I can.
Maybe look for swinging retirement communities and play strip poker in every state. Think of all those available grandmas out there.
Oh, yeah. That's what I need. A bunch of people nekkid who look like me. :(
Or maybe tour all the alcohol/beer breweries one year.

And then there's always non-profit causes.
You know, I do need to pick it up in that area. I used to donate regularly to Special Olympics because that's the charity of truckers. And the local food bank. But I've been so broke lately that I haven't. I agree that I need to do more.
The trick is to tap into advertising/marketing/donation monies.
Yeah, I'd have to figure out how to do that.
Unfortunately, I hear youtube is more difficult to create a living from these days.
Yup. Won't even begin to think about paying until you reach 1,000 subscribers. Even then, looks like it's not much. A lot of YouTubers are now using Patreon but I'm guessing I'd have to put out some really entertaining stuff before people would actually pay me for it!
I think it would be great to sell the house, buy a motor home, and travel the country but I have a feeling living in campgrounds isn't any cheaper than owning a home. Heck even barebones National Forest permits are kinda pricey these days.
See, that's another think that I've been thinking hard about. I've learned a new term from watching videos: Boondocking. That's where you find someplace to park for free. I'm thinking that I would try to find these places because part of what I want to do is put out information about just how much it's costing me to do it. You know, "If I can do it, so can YOU!"

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got me an e-mail this morning! I'm really excited about this one 'cause she included a pic!
Valentina Valya said:
Have a nice day.. I want to destroy my solitude and meet a nice person who, same as me, shall wish to divid with me the blessedness of family life!!! I'm what I am!!! In man the primary is personality! Exclusively such a person can reach something in life...
I'm in my life desire something larger, I seek to it!! A guy must be beautiful in the shower and exactly then he will become more lovely externally... In absence inner beauty, beautiful cover does not mean anything. What do I expect from the guy I dream to start a relationship? Complicated issue! Primarily, surely, care, honesty , fidelity!!!! Whereby and whatever I did, together or singly, relations must brings soulful peace... Surely, you so looking for your dream in woman!!!! But who is a ideal, and as he represents it, none be able tell!! The prime output of the position, so that you is valued for who you are!!! For a happy couple, do not necessary be similar .. We need to complement your loved one! Lucky couple achieve rapport and conciliation: they isn't try to prove who is rightand who is to blame!! They ready to compromise for felicity and calm.. I wish to seek for such a relationship..The important in a relations is good intercourse!!For this, there're 3 moment: the ability to listen to partner, correctness during quarrel and the lack of negative response when dissent...If you agree with my opinion and want to know more about me, then I will be pleased to go on our communion!! I don't know exactly how you'll apprehend to my message!! Still I think that you will not leave this message without attention. Valenka.
Valentina.jpg

Ya'll reckon she would want to live in my camper with me? :D

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Wife just saw my post and said that it was insensitive and inappropriate, so take it down.... NOW. Also threatened to put me on a quarterly schedule.l :(

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dang it! I didn't get to see it before you took it down. So, was it insensitive about the camper thing or the Russian catfish thing?

1 - 20 of 122 Posts