RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well, that was strange. It sort of worked. Problem is, the sound didn't transfer over. However, that led me to give Olympus's software one more try. I discovered that there is a box where you select whether you want .mov or .mp4. When I exported in .mp4 everything was fine! So the video is finishing up right now and then I will upload it to YouTube.

Just remember: On my other forum they were discussing sunglasses so I'm sort of reviewing sunglasses. The other thing is that they ALL hate my wing and are telling me not to put it on the car. That's why I made the video the way I made it.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

It's obvious that I need a lot of practice. But it came out okay for what it is. I guess I'll have to invest in a new camera or two. Sheesh! This just keeps getting more and more expensive.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I shall strive for much more clarity in any and all posts. Your right about reasons for what I recommended. I think you will be impressed with all of the different subject matter on airstream. Look at it folk. Just for informational purposes. The towing info, usage of solar, generators, brakes, engines. All are areas we Ram users may learn from. Think $$ savings. Utube videos, free info, search any subject. Due diligence for correct info as always. We all learn from fourms.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Well, I sent an e-mail to Steve over at Timber Grove to see if he could do anything for me. What he did was turn me over to these folks: ridetech

Could a guy be any more helpful? I mean, seriously. You ask a guy if he can do something and when it looks like the customer is nuts he goes ahead and finds a solution that includes recommending somebody else's product. He is da man! And these things look like they might be exactly what I need. I sent an e-mail to them asking if these things will lift and lower me so's I can traverse those pesky BLM roads. I hope they come back with the answer I want to hear. The only thing I've been able to learn about them so far is from their installation instructions which state not to use these to jump, if that's what you want you should go for hydraulics. And a couple of other things that are not warrantable.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I'm going to have to put a hold on the fancy air ride. :( I had seen that the price was $2050 for the set and was kind of OK with it, but still winced. But then, to get the rest of the kit including an app is another $1800. And then if you want the leveling apparatus it's another $500. :( :( :( Of course I want it all! But it's going to be really hard to convince myself to spend that kind of money on it. Even after I sell the house and have a few $$$.

Anyhow, I made a new video and hit some snags. After several attempts, I finally got everything to come together. Not seamlessly, though. I tried lining everything up, but the program would not let me move the sound without moving the video. That's why my lips don't match the words at some points. I guess I need to start putting in a few extra seconds at transition points. Also, my computer did not want to cooperate with my phone so I don't have any of the phone's video to add to this. Dang it!

I spent a lot of time and learned new things on my software. So in that respect I'm happy. But I still have lots to learn.

As always I need your critique(s).

My time lapse attempt didn't work the way I had planned. But I discovered that I can speed up a clip using the software. So that worked.

I have no idea why it's blurry. I saved it on the "best" setting and that usually takes care of it.

Well, that didn't take long. I've already received a copyright claim for the Zydeco tunes that I used. Supposedly it's okay if I don't monetize. But when I start my channel I guess I'll have to figure things out.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I figured I needed some practice. With VLOGging and with editing the video. So I came up with this.

The first problem I had was that my phone and my computer did not want to cooperate. So there is no video from my phone. And it's blurry. I'm not sure if that's the camera or my software settings. :( But I did learn a bit about editing the music. And it wasn't 10 minutes after I posted the video that I got a notification that I was infringing on music copyrights. But since I'm not monetized (yet) there is no action necessary. I have since found a place to license music so that won't be a problem in the future.

Another thing I need from you guys is help with naming my channel. There are others out there with names like CheapRVLiving, Carolyn's RV Life, Less Junk More Journey, Campervan Kevin, and many others. So bring on the suggestions!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I figured I needed some practice. With VLOGging and with editing the video. So I came up with this.

The first problem I had was that my phone and my computer did not want to cooperate. So there is no video from my phone. And it's blurry. I'm not sure if that's the camera or my software settings. :( But I did learn a bit about editing the music. And it wasn't 10 minutes after I posted the video that I got a notification that I was infringing on music copyrights. But since I'm not monetized (yet) there is no action necessary. I have since found a place to license music so that won't be a problem in the future.

Another thing I need from you guys is help with naming my channel. There are others out there with names like CheapRVLiving, Carolyn's RV Life, Less Junk More Journey, Campervan Kevin, and many others. So bring on the suggestions!
zigzag1.jpg

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
So I joined an RVing forum to get around to discussing this. A couple of the guys are a bit negative about me towing more than the car is rated for. I finally looked it up, and the manufacturer says 1000 pounds, 100 tongue. The hitch maker says 2000/200. However, it's a 1.25" hitch, so I'd have to use an adapter if I'm going to use my Andersen Rapid Hitch. And that cuts the rating in half--and is not recommended for towing by the manufacturer.

Now, obviously the Camaro will not be stock. I will be adding subframe connectors to give it stiffness and will upgrade the brakes. I used to easily pull the WaveRunners which weighed in at right around 2000. So I know that an unmodified Z28 will pull 2000 pounds with ease. And stop it with ease. What brought up the "debate" is that I found a couple of trailers local to me. Here they are:

https://batonrouge.craigslist.org/tro/d/outside-rear-kitchen/6583033485.html

https://neworleans.craigslist.org/rvs/d/casita-travel-trailer-2006/6596773336.html

One of the guys (maybe 2) were saying that it would be ridiculous to try to pull the Casita with the Camaro. However, it actually weighs less than the pair of WaveRunners. At least when dry. So I'm not seeing the problem, but they sure are harshing my buzz!

What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
3,807 Posts
One of the guys (maybe 2) were saying that it would be ridiculous to try to pull the Casita with the Camaro. However, it actually weighs less than the pair of WaveRunners. At least when dry. So I'm not seeing the problem, but they sure are harshing my buzz!

What do you guys think?
My buddy tows a Scamp 13 with his Camaro ('16 V6), the car is stock.

Unfortunately most of the payload police think half ton trucks shouldn't pull two wave runners.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yeah, I don't see the problem. Shucks, I even dug up the weights of everything and one guy inquired as to whether it was safe to pull a pair of WaveRunners the way I did when the trailer only weighed 375 pounds. I'm now beginning to think these guys aren't the experts I was hoping they would be.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I'm not going to get into the weight police and they're opinions, Ziggy .. Here's a guy doing exactly what you want to do and apparently loving it ..
Not sure about VW's pulling specifications? His car is a little bit of a pumped up TDI , but goes everywhere... Really cool checking out his photos ..
Good luck with future plans!!! IMG_1717.PNG

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
New developments. I need to figure out a new avatar because I sold the big truck yesterday. Guy brought cash! Anyhow, that puts me to where I can do the necessary repairs on the house and sell it.

I have decided to go either 6 X 10 or 6 X 12. I guess it depends on which I can get a better deal on. Shucks, I'd love to get a NEO but the closest place that has one in stock is nearly in Canada! I'd prefer all aluminum but it looks like that might not be practical. I mean, it's "affordable" but hard to find. I'd prefer it for the weight and to avoid rust.

I'm undecided on whether to just jump in the camper and boondock wherever I can or to buy a small piece of land and boondock there. I mean, I'd like to put up a metal building and live in it. But that would pretty much take every cent that I make off of the house. And my goal is to be as close to "off the grid" as possible. For me that includes no note.

I can get a small piece of land with the proceeds from selling the big truck. So far, I'm not finding anything I like. Perhaps this means that I should move to Florida like I've wanted to for a while now.

But I need some help from you guys. I've been having trouble thinking of a name for the new YouTube channel. The name I've come up with is "Geaux Ziggy!" But others would like to see more controversial names like "Mah Zigga." Help!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I don't want to be too cliche', but at the same time I want something catchy that people will remember. I was thinking of Geaux Ziggy!, but I don't know if people will even know how to pronounce it. "Go" in case you guys didn't know. I was also thinking of using the word "Presteaux!" in it somewhere since I will be using that word for a new venture (if it ever comes around). I'd like to have something indicative of my Cajun heritage, but not if it's going to drive people away.

Shucks, I thought that I had come up with a serious winner when I named my trucking company tranZig enterprises, incorporated. You know, combining "transportation" with "Ziggy." But most folks just couldn't grasp that there is no "s" in the middle of tranZig. That's why I'm reluctant to go with something that won't make it past you guys!

Oh, and my trailer shopping didn't go that well. It's looking like I'm not getting a trailer with an aluminum frame since that more than triples the price. Ridiculous! And all of the local dealers were right around $3000 for a 6X12. But somebody over on an RV forum pointed me toward a dealership in North Carolina where the trailers are more in the $2600 range for an "Empire" brand. So, let's see: $200 for fuel and $100 for hotel and I'm still $100 to the good. But then I looked up the trailer brand and found that I can get it directly from the manufacturer in Douglas, Georgia, for just over $2000. I haven't called them yet, but that looks like the route I'm going to go.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Are you kidding? You are getting ready to retire! Do what YOU WANT TO DO. This is a time to experiment with the things that you have always thought about but haven't able to do.
Hell, I get it. Small camper, nice car to cruze around in. As long as you can tow it ok what's not to like?

I say do it! How else will you ever know? Nothing better than taking a new direction in life and trying something that you've never done. There's hundreds of people out there that have gotten into full time camping using everything from million dollar motor homes to teardrop trailers. There's lots of ways to make money while camping and lots of fun to be had.

You only live once! Nothing worse than saying
"I should have done that when I could....but now its too late"

I retired 6 months ago. A few weeks ago I helped a friend move a boat from Vermont to Maine and then to Massachusetts. This guy was from the Island of Bonaire and flies by the seat of his pants. He hadn't made ANY plans. It's a long story but the point is that I would have never got involved before I retired. I knew what I was getting into and I knew that it would be an adventure, and believe me, it was!
And I'm very glad that I did it.

Good luck with your new adventures and happy camping!

ENJOY your retirement....I am!
Exactly!!!!!!

41 - 60 of 122 Posts