RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning out some files on my computer to make space and came upon the attached report which I forgot I had. It is a bit of a long read but for those interested in a real test done by someone with nothing to sell you might find it interesting. Be sure to review the cost section on pages 35 and 36 since they have changed significantly since when this was done and now.

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
Interesting reading, a bit long winded.
I always thought the bypass filters were a good idea,
then throw in an electric pre and after lube system and see what would happen.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wonder how much better the results would have been with a higher quality full synthetic oil?
Even more significant, I think, is that this test seems likely to have been done before ULSD and the TBN challenges that the extra sulfur causes. SOme of their oil changes were triggered by low TBN which likely would not have happened with ULSD. Although, the base numbers of diesel oil in the US has gone down since the introduction of ULSD too.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Thanks for posting that Howie. I am a firm believer in oil testing. It has caught a few problems before they became disasters for me, over the years. The bus with the engine failure might have been saved if they had caught the high wear metals before it dropped a valve, btw. I drove a Dodge hemi for 400,000 trouble free miles. One time I caught a leak in an air intake boot, letting dirt in, so in that case, Blackstone saved me a headache.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts