RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have a 2018 Eco Diesel Laramie 1500 truck with 69,000 miles. When I slowly turn it feels like the tires are grabbing like in 4WD. It goes away going straight and speeding up. On driver side rear, there is a slight tapping or rattling noise, also, only when I slowly turn. I'm concerned cause I'm hauling a vehicle in my enclosed trailer in a couple of days. Dan

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
Pl

i can’t tell by the receipt but they did charge me $345. to change it from my dealership where I bought it. 2 line items, 1) Lubricant Gear, quantity [email protected] $76. 2) Lub Gear, quantity 2 @ 34. Each for $68. Plus labor. Would one of them be Limited slip additive?
It takes 2 quarts of fluid plus a limited slip additive and $345 is highway robbery.

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,461 Posts
@DAS was that $345 for both differentials? maybe the transfer case too?
To put it in comparison, I bought a gallon of Redline 75W-140(has friction modifier already in it) and a pump to change my rear differential, it was about $65 on Amazon.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I had the exact same experience after my local dealer changed the rear differential fluid. When I questioned the invoice (I googled the part numbers and found no LS additive) the service advisor told me that the "new" diff fluid didn't require the additive. I went to the dealer and asked to see a bottle of the diff fluid and guess what? On the top of the back label it says,"must add LS additive for vehicles with Limited Slip"!. So another appointment and they added the additive at no charge, took about 10 minutes. Do not continue to drive the truck until you get the additive installed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the exact same experience after my local dealer changed the rear differential fluid. When I questioned the invoice (I googled the part numbers and found no LS additive) the service advisor told me that the "new" diff fluid didn't require the additive. I went to the dealer and asked to see a bottle of the diff fluid and guess what? On the top of the back label it says,"must add LS additive for vehicles with Limited Slip"!. So another appointment and they added the additive at no charge, took about 10 minutes. Do not continue to drive the truck until you get the additive installed.
thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm so glad I stumbled on this thread. I usually lurk just reading up on thing, but this is definitely an issue I've been having. Checked the 60,000 mile service paperwork and big shocker no LS additive listed. I've been trying to work out this issue for a while thinking it might have been related to a worn part. Hopefully nothing has been damaged. My truck is used almost exclusively as a daily. I haven't had to haul anything I ages, so there really hasn't been that much strain. Gonna get some additive added asap. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I keep repeating myself..."And the dealers wonder why we don't trust them!" Are you kidding me?

Reactions: sourdo

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,484 Posts
Those dealer mechanics sure go out of their way to prove they are idiots.

I had a Silverado, it sprayed mist out of the HVAC vents on a hot day. Of course the fan went tits up not long after, I guess it being an electrical device it didn't like "mist" going through it. And the asshole at the counter was almost yelling at me; "MY MECHANIC SAYS THERE IS NO WAY FOR WATER TO GET INSIDE AN AC!!!!" He acted like I was making it all up. jerk off

Me head hurt hearing that. The truck was almost new, I went home, flicked the little drain, you know, the one that drains WATER from the AC? And about a quart of water came out......

Or the time I had Ram rotate my tires on the Ecodiesel. When I had to remove one, damn, I weigh 220 lbs and I'm bouncing up and down on a 1/2 inch breaker bar to get the lugs off.

Yea, no kidding, this shit gets old fast.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Big Horn Granite Crystal 4x4 CC 6'4" box
837 Posts
Those dealer mechanics sure go out of their way to prove they are idiots.

Or the time I had Ram rotate my tires on the Ecodiesel. When I had to remove one, damn, I weigh 220 lbs and I'm bouncing up and down on a 1/2 inch breaker bar to get the lugs off.

Yea, no kidding, this shit gets old fast.

I have a 2011 Avenger that I took in for a recall that had to have all 4 tires off. The mechanic left a note saying it needed brakes, for which I already knew and had the parts at home. I finally got time to do the brakes and went to take the tire off. 18 of the 20 would not budge with my 450 ft# air gun. I got the torque wrench out and kept increasing the setting till I got to 180 and I could not move them. Got the 24" breaker bar out and ended up putting a floor jack handle over the end and climbed on top of it and jumped down on it to finally break most loose. Had a neighbor come over and try and he couldn't believe how tight they were. I finally got them all undone and did my brake job and then went to see the service manager and showed him what I had to do to remove the tires, including my now bent breaker bar. He went out to the shop floor and pulled every mechanics torque sticks and told them all that it was manual torque wrenches from then on. The spec is 95 FT#. To this day if a mechanic touches my tires, I go home and loosen all wheel nuts and get my torque wrench out and redo them properly. I recheck after 200 kms. I carry a torque wrench in each of my vehicle cause I don't trust anyone to do my wheels.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,484 Posts
I have a 2011 Avenger that I took in for a recall that had to have all 4 tires off. The mechanic left a note saying it needed brakes, for which I already knew and had the parts at home. I finally got time to do the brakes and went to take the tire off. 18 of the 20 would not budge with my 450 ft# air gun. I got the torque wrench out and kept increasing the setting till I got to 180 and I could not move them. Got the 24" breaker bar out and ended up putting a floor jack handle over the end and climbed on top of it and jumped down on it to finally break most loose. Had a neighbor come over and try and he couldn't believe how tight they were. I finally got them all undone and did my brake job and then went to see the service manager and showed him what I had to do to remove the tires, including my now bent breaker bar. He went out to the shop floor and pulled every mechanics torque sticks and told them all that it was manual torque wrenches from then on. The spec is 95 FT#. To this day if a mechanic touches my tires, I go home and loosen all wheel nuts and get my torque wrench out and redo them properly. I recheck after 200 kms. I carry a torque wrench in each of my vehicle cause I don't trust anyone to do my wheels.
They should of replaced all of your studs now that they are stretched and prone to breaking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts