RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my favorite color, but I've always had white vehicles and am worried about upkeep. I stay on top of washing and waxing, but the white is very forgiving with swirls, scratches, and water spots. It also ages well. I still have a short amount of time to change my order back to the GC.

What have been your experiences so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
I love my granite crystal metallic truck. Such an amazing color. Haven't had it long enough to have an opinion on keeping it looking good.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Anything other than black is fine. My daily driver is a classic BMW. It has a high end paint job that was wet sanded, compounded and polished to perfection. Keeping that black paint looking perfect is a nightmare. I spent 5hrs with a buffer last night. Prob 10 more to go before it's ready for a coat of Opti-Coat....my latest attempt to protect against bird poop.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input! I changed the order today. I figure I just need to make friends with a local detailer and plan on getting it done once a year. It's such a nice looking color, I couldn't pass it up!

·
Registered
254 Posts
This was my first choice in color but I opted for white because my last truck was mineral gray - wanted something different. In hind sight, I wish I would have went with the granite or silver - it hides dirt much better than white and doesn't show swirls (I obsess over hazing/swirls). I have to wash this truck at least once a week vs. the twice a year schedule I was on with the last 2 trucks.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Always liked white. Only thing it's not good for picking up young women.

One night I stopped at a restaurant in West Virginia. I was retired, wife died and coming back from delivering a trailer to someplace in Texas. Tired, I stopped at a diner and chatted with a nice lady there.

Did not try anything and really never thought of it. Then she asked me something. I was a little slow. It had something to do with a ride home. I speeded up a bit. She looked outside at my truck. White. Then she said I didn't own that truck. I was just a worked for a towing company, called her mother and got her own ride home.

That old Duramax never was a favorite of mine.

Wife thinks I made a mistake with this Prairie Pearl color. She now changed her mind and wants white. Only I know why.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Recently divorced. Ordered mine in Prairie Pearlcoat because it is a rare color. Looks different in different light conditions. Hope it works for me.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Anything other than black is fine. My daily driver is a classic BMW. It has a high end paint job that was wet sanded, compounded and polished to perfection. Keeping that black paint looking perfect is a nightmare. I spent 5hrs with a buffer last night. Prob 10 more to go before it's ready for a coat of Opti-Coat....my latest attempt to protect against bird poop.
Interested in your experience with Opti-Coat - have you used it before? I am also look at CQuartz (I heard it might be better for the type of paint colour on the truck).

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have one and treated the paint to a couple of products from adamspolishes.com. I did the clay bar followed by the paint seal. A coat of buttery wax went on next. After washing I use the detail spray before drying. I applies a very thin coat of wax and makes the finish shine very well. You simply mist the whole vehicle including glass. This will be my routine moving forward. So far so good. I found their web site through a google search. The car wash soap is the best I have ever used. They are based in Colorado and have numerous "how to" videos on their web site. A little pricey but worth the $ IMO.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All great info, thank you! I changed the order to granite crystal. I've had five white trucks and I'm ready to look at a new color for a change.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's my favorite color, but I've always had white vehicles and am worried about upkeep. I stay on top of washing and waxing, but the white is very forgiving with swirls, scratches, and water spots. It also ages well. I still have a short amount of time to change my order back to the GC.

What have been your experiences so far?

I have it for almost two months and love the fact it doesn't really show the dust and dirt. Pretty sharp color, also very deep & rich in all levels of sunlight....

·
Registered
458 Posts
All these other people ordering GC, I'm going to have problems finding the damn truck in a parking lot before you know it. Whenever I actually get said truck that is...

·
Registered
827 Posts
Interested in your experience with Opti-Coat - have you used it before? I am also look at CQuartz (I heard it might be better for the type of paint colour on the truck).
It worked terrific on the cherry red truck but not quite as good on the black BMW. On the latter, yesterday, I did not focus enough on making sure a panel was entirely free of streaks before I moved on. Apparently the stuff is so hard once cured that it has to be polished off. I don't have the right kind of buffing pad to do a super fine polish so I ordered one today. I just have to redo the hood.

The BMW, an old '88 has a high end paint job that was wet sanded, compounded then polished. That makes the paint so perfect that it shows every flaw. For example, a hapless effort with Opti-coat.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It worked terrific on the cherry red truck but not quite as good on the black BMW. On the latter, yesterday, I did not focus enough on making sure a panel was entirely free of streaks before I moved on. Apparently the stuff is so hard once cured that it has to be polished off. I don't have the right kind of buffing pad to do a super fine polish so I ordered one today. I just have to redo the hood.

The BMW, an old '88 has a high end paint job that was wet sanded, compounded then polished. That makes the paint so perfect that it shows every flaw. For example, a hapless effort with Opti-coat.
Ok. That is what I thought (RE: Dark Colour). Research I have been doing shows to do Opti Coat on lighter colours, but not on Dark (it tends to give a flat look). Appears CQuartz is better for Dark and a similiar product. They also both recommend getting rid of any imperfections before applying, otherwise you will get what you saw.

I will probably get someone to apply mine - I don't have enough experience on polishing, etc. - liable to leave a big hand print or something, and then seal it behind the impermeable product....lol.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts