RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
13010.jpeg

Pulling over 8klb. Heavy cross winds. Approx 2100 rpm/64 mph.
Hendrix is on. Life is 馃憤

Registered
Definitely shows there is lots of power going up the mountain pulling the load.

Tried to see what the instant fuel mileage was but screen not on that page. How did it do pulling like that?

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Sacremento to desert hot springs. Very strong cross winds, avg about 8-9 mpg, but its so stable and in control, up or down, flat that I really don't care. Drinks DEF when towing, 400 plus miles over 1/4 of a tank.
I never slowed down on I5 or the grapevine and the Cummins just spooled up, yawned and we were in the passing lanes the entire trip. Biggest challenge was tree sized tumbleweed we all were dodging.

Its the best thing I ever bought for towing. Jerks the ATC around like a toy. Max temps on long grades, coolant was 204. Trany/ oil was stable. The exhaust brake is a wonder of engineering. Total downhill control.

I can now say as long as we are towing west of the Rockies, diesel is the ticket. No gasser, even Ford's new creation can replace this legend of a engine. I now understand why those that really use it, are so loyal.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Hope you had it cranked up to the max!
It wasn't even close, I have a high wind load but only 8klbs. I can see why she is rated to 17.5klbs towing. Most of the day 1500 to 1600 but up the vine she kicked down to around 2100. My wife look at me knitting as were in the left lanes. Just shook her head at my stupid grin.

Registered
Hear all that. Have not had the chance to experience a heavy tow for any distance yet. Actually may never as I ran my VIN# in Ram's website under towing. Found out my rated towing capacity is 19,200 lbs.

No way will I ever have a toy hauler much over 10,000 lbs let alone near double that. It is not reasonable to compare this kind of towing prowess to any of the small 1500's no matter what kind of motor you have in them.

Enjoy without the drama we have had with other combinations. Knit away.

Registered
It wasn't even close, I have a high wind load but only 8klbs. I can see why she is rated to 17.5klbs towing. Most of the day 1500 to 1600 but up the vine she kicked down to around 2100. My wife look at me knitting as were in the left lanes. Just shook her head at my stupid grin.
LOL.
I meant Hendrix!

Registered
Hendrix always took a lot of grass and alcohol to digest. Some of his songs more than others. When the Isley Brothers gave him another chance on life by getting his guitar out of pawn and hiring him to play with them, he was the best. Later the drugs got to him and he went into his own funk, leaving them to go mess up his life on his own.

He and Janice Joplin are just two examples of talent from that era ruined by mental illness. Those that could not read the artist on the screen picture you posted are the ones with the mistake.

Oh - unrelated fact but still interesting. Just returned from a run down the interstate to a party in Sarasota. My EVIC, not towing is pushing the 22 mpg reading. I know it's a lie but rarely have I gone anywhere not towing so it was refreshing to see tonight. AT the party my brother-in-law there showed off his brand new Laramie Limited 1500 with Hemi. 3:92 rears in a two-wheel drive and sexy beyond sexy. He let me lap in that luxury of leather and scan the movie screen up and down. Even showed me the engine compartment looking empty with even that Hemi in it. He discussed his disappointing fuel mileage but added the power was impressive.

Well I started it up to look at things. He had about a 1,000 miles on the engine. His mileage since he filled and reset read ....

13.1 mpg.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
LOL.
I meant Hendrix!
Stupid me!
Hendrix always took a lot of grass and alcohol to digest. Some of his songs more than others. When the Isley Brothers gave him another chance on life but getting his guitar out of pawn and hiring him to play with them he was the best. Later the drugs got to him and he went into his own funk, leaving them to go mess up his life on his own.

He and Janice Joplin are just two examples of talent from that era ruined by mental illness. Those that could not read the artist on the screen picture you posted are the ones with the mistake.

Oh - unrelated fact but still interesting. Just returned from a run down the interstate to a party in Sarasota. My EVIC, not towing is pushing the 22 mpg reading. I know it's a lie but rarely have I gone anywhere not towing so it was refreshing to see tonight. AT the party my brother-in-law there showed off his brand new Laramie Limited 1500 with Hemi. 3:92 rears in a two-wheel drive and sexy beyond sexy. He let me lap in that luxury of leather and scan the movie screen up and down. Even showed me the engine compartment looking empty with even that Hemi in it. He discussed his disappointing fuel mileage but added the power was impressive.

Well I started it up to look at things. He had about a 1,000 miles on the engine. His mileage since he filled and reset read ....

13.1 mpg.
Hope you had it cranked up to the max!
Stupid me!

Registered
I had a 98 12 valve Cummins, and towed quite a bit with it. Best mileage I ever got was 21mpg unloaded. Towing 10k was doable, but could be stressful and draining.
I had the clutch go out on me halfway through a cross country move. The clutch would not disconnect, so it was always engaged. I limped the truck from North of KC MO to Nashville TN, towing a 10k pound cargo trailer.
I could not get a single truck to rent, that I could tow with. I also wasn't sure how long the clutch replacement was going to take (ended up being a week). I had to be at work in two days (Goldsboro NC), so I ended up buying a 2017 Ram 2500 Cummins.
Night and day difference in towing. I gained 1-2 mpg towing that trailer and it was SOLID. I went over the mountain pass on 40 with zero drama. My 12v had plenty of power to pull the trailer, but it just needed so much input and correction that it wore me down. The 2017 was so much easier and smoother.
After owning (and towing with) the 1500 ED, I very seriously regret getting rid of both Cummins trucks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I would say easier is an understatement, I just never really understood how big a difference it is in mountainous and windy conditions and on interstates in general. Yes the ED did it, but this beast does it sooo much easier!!

Registered
I would say easier is an understatement, I just never really understood how big a difference it is in mountainous and windy conditions and on interstates in general. Yes the ED did it, but this beast does it sooo much easier!!
My problem with the ED is that it didn't do it. Despite having the same (stock) HP and TQ ratings, the 20 year old Ram would out-tow it any day of the week. Obviously mileage didn't compare, except with a trailer behind it.
The ED can't even compare to the new 2500 and 3500 trucks. But if you listen to advertising, my 2018 ED could tow just as much as my 98... I drank the koolaid and regret it.

Super Moderator
Lol HVAC I gave you a like when you first posted this but then thought I鈥檝e been over the grapevine many times with TTs and as heavy as 9,100 and ain鈥檛 no way he is sticking to 2,100 or 64 mph with that weight. Now I read it again and laughed at myself for not realizing it was with the Cummins.

Yep that鈥檚 definitely the truck for that job. Lol memories when I took a too big for my truck 9,100 TT from Portland to LA I hit the grapevine with a head of steam at 70 mph and dropped to 50 flat on the floor as she crested the top with something like 244 water 266 oil. :LOL: And having the engine brake & TBC I so agree the downhill confidence & control is a great feeling. I know I鈥檝e been a broken record here over the years on the value of that when towing in the mountains.

And as you mention wind is another thing. When you go the other way out of LA on the 15 and come off that pass through Victorville often crazy strong wind with the sail of TT it will throw you around some even if you set your WDH & weight distribution by scale results. Only so much you can do. It come to a point where you need that extra Truck weight and stiff suspension well except to slow way down or wait till it calms down. I hope she is problem free for big miles and keeps you grinning.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Lol HVAC I gave you a like when you first posted this but then thought I鈥檝e been over the grapevine many times with TTs and as heavy as 9,100 and ain鈥檛 no way he is sticking to 2,100 or 64 mph with that weight. Now I read it again and laughed at myself for not realizing it was with the Cummins.

Yep that鈥檚 definitely the truck for that job. Lol memories when I took a too big for my truck 9,100 TT from Portland to LA I hit the grapevine with a head of steam at 70 mph and dropped to 50 flat on the floor as she crested the top with something like 244 water 266 oil. :LOL: And having the engine brake & TBC I so agree the downhill confidence & control is a great feeling. I know I鈥檝e been a broken record here over the years on the value of that when towing in the mountains.

And as you mention wind is another thing. When you go the other way out of LA on the 15 and come off that pass through Victorville often crazy strong wind with the sail of TT it will throw you around some even if you set your WDH & weight distribution by scale results. Only so much you can do. It come to a point where you need that extra Truck weight and stiff suspension well except to slow way down or wait till it calms down. I hope she is problem free for big miles and keeps you grinning.
Thank you Vern. I think of you often when towing. I really feel the combination is now a sports car for a rv. The ATC is the lowered version, 4 wheel torsion and spread axle. Heavy on the toungue with the 5.5 onan, only lightweight furniture in the garage so she tracks straight. Heaviest load is 100 gallons water, 35 gallons fuel. So far just mad I didnt do it a long time ago. Stubborn and stupid, east of the Rockies maybe, but this neck of the woods will test your TV quickly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts