RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good idea or bad idea , thinking of getting a mechanic to install nipples on the front end of the truck . Dealer recommended and said many people have done it before

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
You know I never looked. You mean there aren't any?

Only truck I ever had without grease fittings was a FORD. Worst truck I ever had and it was the first and last Ford for me. You can be sure tomorrow I'll be under there looking. Without grease fittings there WILL be trouble keeping things together.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Good idea or bad idea , thinking of getting a mechanic to install nipples on the front end of the truck . Dealer recommended and said many people have done it before
It's a great idea. It basically makes your front end last forever unless it suffers damage. People have been doing it for years and it doesn't make sense to be without unless you're a dealer who makes money off the service. Front end parts domino into other front end parts and some of those parts (like balljoints) are practically a wear part like brakes. Do it, you'll keep your "new-truck-handling" way longer.

·
Registered
213 Posts
How many grease nipples can be installed and on which steering components? Please advise, once you have them installed.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I know that the new 2500's have no grease fittings anywhere. Installing them on existing components could cause more damage than good though - would be likely to get metal chips everywhere that you don't want them. Good luck trying to drill and tap ball joints.

You are much better off just greasing what you can with a needle and replacing components with those that are designed for serviceability when things start to wear out (100k miles down the road).

·
Registered
177 Posts
I full heartedly agree with ph353. You are a better machinist than I if you can do this. You will have to remove the ball from the socket race in the housing (which is all pressed together), drill and tap 1/4-28 thread in the housing in the proper location, deburr the hole and remove metal chips, screw the grease fitting in place, then press everything back together. Take ph363 advise.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Hope to have mine on a lift this week and look at things closely.

Back in 2001-2002 I put 100,000 miles on a Duramax in about 10 months. In 14 months I had in the 140's. That included all the serious breakdowns and down time that engine created. To expect someone to replace the front end in less than a year is ludicrous. On top of that you have to deal with alignment, down time and all the expense because Chrysler opted to save a couple dollars on zerk fittings.

This is something I missed. Looks like PH363 has the right idea for now.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Its done with parts not just custom machining. Do some extra research guys it works and has for years. Anyone who plows will thank themselves for the investment.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi guys I have been putting grease nipples on my tie rods and upper ball joints for years. Simply drill a hole 3/16" or 7/32" (can't remember) dead centre of the cap(disc) thats pressed into the top of the tie rod or upper ball joint. Thread the hole with a 1/4" nc tap just enough to get the nipple to start threading into it, if your worried about filings use a strong magnet to pull them out of the grease before installing the grease nipple. Don't over grease, I don't bother with the lower ball joints because of the CV boot there's not enough clearance to do it. It will definately save you money in the long run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts