RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a vararam intake that I bought slightly used and it came with a Green brand air filter as well as the Green cleaning kit. It`s the same as a K&N only different color oil. It says not to use any other brand of oil as it will discolor the filter.I figure if I use a K&N cleaning kit it will just change the color from green to red. Are they just saying not to use other oil in order to sell more of theirs or is there actually a good reason for it. I don`t see the point of ordering the Green stuff over the internet when I can drive for 5 minutes and buy the K&N one at a store. Has anyone used this stuff? Is it just the same thing in a different color?

·
Registered
626 Posts
I recently installed a vararam intake that I bought slightly used and it came with a Green brand air filter as well as the Green cleaning kit. It`s the same as a K&N only different color oil. It says not to use any other brand of oil as it will discolor the filter.I figure if I use a K&N cleaning kit it will just change the color from green to red. Are they just saying not to use other oil in order to sell more of theirs or is there actually a good reason for it. I don`t see the point of ordering the Green stuff over the internet when I can drive for 5 minutes and buy the K&N one at a store. Has anyone used this stuff? Is it just the same thing in a different color?
Pretty sure you dont want to use any filter you have to oil on these trucks. The stock intake will handle more horsepower than you can make

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
As Bgbdwlf2500 said, there doesn't seem to be any benefit to swapping the intake on these. Supposedly, GDE did some testing and determined the turbo itself is the weak link on these engines so a "better" CAI/filter won't help. Though I hesitate to just cite GDE as many on this site take their word as gospel, and others are very skeptical. But even Banks offered a minimal kit that only included a filter and a pipe to remove the silencer. Some will tell you that you should never use an oiled filter on a turbo engine as the oil will leave residue on the MAF sensor and cause inaccurate readings.

Based on this, it would seem that the stock air box, and filter size/shape are more than adequate to supply the engine with air. The only benefit to a CAI is to hear the turbo more, and even that is minimal. And while an oiled filter may provide marginally better flow, it may not be worth the headache if it causes issues down stream.

Since you've already bought the kit, and are using it, this is moot. As for the brand/type of oil, maybe someone with more experience with oiled filters will chime in.

·
Registered
727 Posts
As ajb3015 mentioned, the GDE test was a good one and concluded the OEM air intake was the best system for the OEM turbo. It has also been proven that an oil filter will pass particles that a dry paper filter will catch.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just out of curiosity. Where are you guys finding the GDE testing information?
Hi: ram19... I think they found the info in the same place they found the "Green" air. The "Green" air is inside the cabin in my truck and alas I have no cabin filters!!! WHEW.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Here's the "green" air that GDE posted on a forum post regarding air cleaners:

"We do not recommend K&N style filtration on a turbocharged engine.
The hi-flow filters do have less pressure drop, but they let larger particles through the media.
These particles can reduce turbo compressor life over time.
Naturally aspirated engines can eat the larger particles without major issues.
The stock airbox is more than adequate for the Ecodiesel."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts