RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a tad chilly out there this morning here in Northern BC... Even plugged in the ol' EcoDiesel grunted a little but fired up and ran like a champ! So far I have had no issues other than the truck is frozen stiff and makes for a bit of a rough chilly ride in the morning!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Roll down to your local espar or webasto heater shop and get one installed.
My engine is at 73C when I start it and the heater blows warm air within 2 minutes.
Not cheap at $1500 but sure makes the truck comfortable for those short trips and should be easier on the engine too.

They mount nicely on the inside of the rh frame behind the bumper and the connections to the engine coolant at the 3 way valve is located right there.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are an espar dealer where I work so I could get a decent deal on one... And believe me I have seriously thought about one! Just not sure if I can justify the expense for a week or two out of the year... If these kind of cold snaps lasted months then absolutely... Like they probly do up on the Yukon and Alaska parts of the world... They are definitely handy on the big rigs and we do sell a lot for those!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Having coffee in my service truck right now while espar keeps the cab warm with the blower fan on low.
I install and service espars. Only issues I have had with it is if I only heat the engine for say 30 minutes sometimes it will throw an engine code and I have to get out my torque app and clear it.
If I heat until the engine reaches the full heaters max temp at 73c so far it has not occured. It can get -30 to -40 here in Northern Ontario but has been a milder winter so far. Sure nice not having window fog or teeth chattering on those short trips though. Also much less engine idling.
Hope to find a work around for the code troubles though.

P24F2: EGR Temperature/Charge Air Cooler Temperature Correlation.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My engine is at 73C when I start it and the heater blows warm air within 2 minutes.
Not cheap at $1500 but sure makes the truck comfortable for those short trips and should be easier on the engine too.

They mount nicely on the inside of the rh frame behind the bumper and the connections to the engine coolant at the 3 way valve is located right there.

Wow.... that’s cold. Let me just say hello from the Southeast where it is currently 61 degrees and raining!

·
Registered
807 Posts
I was complaining about how hard it is to get my Ecodiesel warm at -22 F (-30 C), it is the biggest PITA for this truck in extreme wintertime temperatures the other day. We've had a spat of the bitter cold.

I have never heard of this Espar heater, pretty cool idea. Plug in, and warm engine and heater to HOT.

With the OEM block heater, front cover, 4 hours plugged in, with the fast idle option (truly a necessity for the north), at -20 and below, it takes 15-20 minutes to get my truck to 150 F with the fast idle, then many miles to get to full hot.

Where we live, it don't get -20 or less too often, even though my latitude at 62 deg north is about the same as northern Hudson Bay, thank you mountain ranges, temperatures are more moderate being on the coast. And I can deal with it.

But if I lived in the interior, say Fairbanks, this heater device would be a necessity for a long lasting truck. 40 below is not uncommon up there. Better yet, buy a cheap gasser car and use that up in the cold. Gas engines get hotter faster anyway.

My best solution, is were selling out, lock stock and barrel, and heading south this summer. The place goes up for sale April.

The one good thing about -20 F is when it gets to 15 above it feels like a nice day.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A Espar or webasto parking heater burns diesel fuel and uses a small amount of battery power. It does not get plugged in unless you need to trickle charge you battery because your heat time versus drive time is too high.
You can run it while you stop anywhere to keep the engine warm. Some guys even run their cab heater fan on low to maintain the cab temp.
Completely different then a block heater my espar will bring my engine to 73c or @ 160f in an hour at -25. When you start the truck the heat is almost instant.

·
Registered
646 Posts
A Espar or webasto parking heater burns diesel fuel and uses a small amount of battery power. It does not get plugged in unless you need to trickle charge you battery because your heat time versus drive time is too high.
You can run it while you stop anywhere to keep the engine warm. Some guys even run their cab heater fan on low to maintain the cab temp.
Completely different then a block heater my espar will bring my engine to 73c or @ 160f in an hour at -25. When you start the truck the heat is almost instant.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could circulate the engine oil thru' that same heater ....

·
Registered
78 Posts
The heaters burner exhaust air can be directed towards the oil pan and is about 250f out of a 1" flex pipe. I want to try that next, haven't had time to route and secure the flexpipe.

But the oil temp sensor must be in the oil cooler on the engine as it comes up with the coolant temp, but then drops when the engine start and the colder oil starts circulating until the coolant drops and the oil warms and the two two match up after about 5 mins of running.
Having the heater exhaust 250f air onto the oil pan for 45min or more would sure help imo.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was complaining about how hard it is to get my Ecodiesel warm at -22 F (-30 C), it is the biggest PITA for this truck in extreme wintertime temperatures the other day. We've had a spat of the bitter cold.

I have never heard of this Espar heater, pretty cool idea. Plug in, and warm engine and heater to HOT.

With the OEM block heater, front cover, 4 hours plugged in, with the fast idle option (truly a necessity for the north), at -20 and below, it takes 15-20 minutes to get my truck to 150 F with the fast idle, then many miles to get to full hot.

Where we live, it don't get -20 or less too often, even though my latitude at 62 deg north is about the same as northern Hudson Bay, thank you mountain ranges, temperatures are more moderate being on the coast. And I can deal with it.

But if I lived in the interior, say Fairbanks, this heater device would be a necessity for a long lasting truck. 40 below is not uncommon up there. Better yet, buy a cheap gasser car and use that up in the cold. Gas engines get hotter faster anyway.

My best solution, is were selling out, lock stock and barrel, and heading south this summer. The place goes up for sale April.

The one good thing about -20 F is when it gets to 15 above it feels like a nice day.
Yeah I warm mine up for at least 10 minutes... Remote start is set to 12 minutes and I am not a big fan of a double start.. just more wear n tear on the starter... then about a 15 minute commute to work and in these temps im lucky to get the coolant temps up to 75°C by the time I get to work... Running full cold weather plates on my grille inserts as well... I leave it plugged in all night and still run tow haul mode to keep the RPMs up as much as I can...

·
Registered
5 Posts
In Edmonton, Alberta (Canada), it's registering into the -30's as well...My Ecodiesel is fine. I haven't had any frozen DEF issues yet (after 2 years of driving this 2017 Laramie, GDE engine and transmission tuned).

IF you install such a heater, would you see good MPG? . I guess you gain something but than need additional fuel, so it's balances out. I'm in Edmonton , Alberta and it's registering into the -30's this week as well. So far, my 2017 Laramie is doing good in this weather.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The primary benefits are.
Reduced engine idle time. So fewer engine hours and less fuel burnt. Espar heaters only consumes 6/10 litre of fuel per hour.
Engine is always warm when starting to reduce wear. Can be kept warm anywhere.
Quick cab warm ups because engine is 3/4 operating temperature.

These heaters were designed to help semi diesel truck engines start in weather too cold for them to otherwise start in.
No need to plugged in or to find a place to plug in, or to idle them all night.
The ecodiesel starts well enough it seldom needs to be plugged in but can benefit from these heaters with reduced hours and operator comfort.
It is not likely to save much fuel.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I haven't had any frozen DEF issues yet (after 2 years of driving this 2017 Laramie, GDE engine and transmission tuned).
Somewhere in the manual it says at some low temp, the whole DEF system is shut off.

As for mpg it takes a bit hit for all that time warming up. I saw 16 mpg on mine the other day.

I used to like winter, then I got old. Everything is effort. Hell getting dressed to go outside is like going to the gym, lol... turn around, come back in, tear it all off, and dump it on the dining room table that is the wintertime depository of coats, hats, gloves, boots, overalls, quite the pile!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts