RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Longhorn Stock ED with 72,500 miles has developed a "growling" noise, seemingly from the front of the truck. It isn't always there but is becoming more regular. I don't hear it when accelerating until about 1,500 RPM.
Also, when slowing down it winds down as the speed slows. I opened the hood at the house and had the wife run the RPM's up in park and I couldn't hear anything. Any ideas?

·
Registered
13,920 Posts
Hard to hear. Might be a front wheel bearing. If you did not grease them through the ABS port, why not? Many factory ones come flat out near dry.

What I did near is speed related so that's a possibility. Lift a front wheel off the ground and spin to see if there are any indications one or both might be a problem.

Reactions: TheB2B

·
Registered
370 Posts
If it is a front wheel bearing when you turn left or right, depending on if it is only one side it should be louder give you an idea of which side or doesn't make any difference then both. I had a Dakota did the same thing convinced it is a Dodge\Ram thing.

But I could be wrong about the Dodge\Ram thing :p

·
Registered
658 Posts
2015 Longhorn Stock ED with 72,500 miles has developed a "growling" noise, seemingly from the front of the truck. It isn't always there but is becoming more regular. I don't hear it when accelerating until about 1,500 RPM.
Also, when slowing down it winds down as the speed slows. I opened the hood at the house and had the wife run the RPM's up in park and I couldn't hear anything. Any ideas?

Had the same sound for the last 60K miles. Been to the dealership twice and they could not find the cause either, so I said screw it and just kept driving it. Just hit 100K and still growling, so I guess I will go for 200K and let er growl.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hard to hear. Might be a front wheel bearing. If you did not grease them through the ABS port, why not? Many factory ones come flat out near dry.

What I did near is speed related so that's a possibility. Lift a front wheel off the ground and spin to see if there are any indications one or both might be a problem.
That sounds like an easy test, I'll get the hydraulic jack out tomorrow and try that. Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it is a front wheel bearing when you turn left or right, depending on if it is only one side it should be louder give you an idea of which side or doesn't make any difference then both. I had a Dakota did the same thing convinced it is a Dodge\Ram thing.

But I could be wrong about the Dodge\Ram thing :p
Well if it is a Dodge/Ram thing I've been lucky. I drove a 1994 1500 for 180,000 miles, then a 2002 2500 Cummins for 260,000 miles and a 2011 1500 Hemi for 159,000 miles without this issue. I also drove those 600,000 miles before I got my first CEL on the 2011 at 159,000 miles.
This particular RAM is driving me crazy. I had the Throttle Body CEL and had to have the soot cleaned out, I've had the 3 way valve CEL 4 times but it so far clears itself; my garage door opener and auto up/down windows will stop working from time to time for 2 hours to 2 days, whenever it rains the front
park sense goes crazy, the cruise control button works when it wants to.....I've come very close to trading this thing in many times but hate to start over paying for s truck.
Sorry for the rant, this truck annoys me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Had the same sound for the last 60K miles. Been to the dealership twice and they could not find the cause either, so I said screw it and just kept driving it. Just hit 100K and still growling, so I guess I will go for 200K and let er growl."

I don't want to listen to that sound from now on but that actually sounds like the best possibility to me.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts

That is a pretty loud growl for wheel bearing going straight

Try a sideload by turning either left or right when you’re driving and see if the pitch changes

The wheel bearing noise should happen regardless of engine RPM
So it may be something in the driveline

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,083 Posts
Does the sound change if the road surface changes? or if the crest of the road changes? I wonder if that's tread noise your hearing or an alignment issue? Is there any funny treadwear with the tires?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wheel bearing. Sometimes shifting the weight of the vehicle with the steering wheel may not reveal which side is bad. I have always run the vehicle on the lift and used a stethoscope to determine which side is faulty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does the sound change if the road surface changes? or if the crest of the road changes? I wonder if that's tread noise your hearing or an alignment issue? Is there any funny treadwear with the tires?
No, I drive the same roads the vast majority of the time and the noise just started. It doesn't matter what road I'm on either. I also have fairly new Michelins and they are wearing great.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. haven't been on a road where I can make a prolonged turn at speed but I have noticed that if I wiggle the steering wheel back and forth the pitch changed a little. That made me think
it could be in the steering and that's when I discovered that my truck has electric steering and doesn't have a bottle to fill.

·
Registered
13,920 Posts
As for your CEL's - get GDE.

Keep testing and find the source of the noise. Report back if you do as many would like to know the answer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As for your CEL's - get GDE.

Keep testing and find the source of the noise. Report back if you do as many would like to know the answer.
I've never tuned anything so I have been reluctant to do that, plus I've been debating whether or not to keep the truck. I really don't want to spend the money to start over paying for a truck, partially because I retired at the first of the year. I have now decided to keep it so since the evidence is overwhelming here that GDE is the way to go I'm going to pull the trigger on that by next week.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Wheel bearing. Sometimes shifting the weight of the vehicle with the steering wheel may not reveal which side is bad. I have always run the vehicle on the lift and used a stethoscope to determine which side is faulty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
when you don't have a stethoscope , I have used a piece of wooden dowel , touch it to a part ( like the middle of the hub while spinning the Wheel )
and to your ear , you will be surprised what you can hear .

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Thanks. haven't been on a road where I can make a prolonged turn at speed but I have noticed that if I wiggle the steering wheel back and forth the pitch changed a little. That made me think
it could be in the steering and that's when I discovered that my truck has electric steering and doesn't have a bottle to fill.

If your pitch changes when you go side to side with the steering wheel did more than likely by putting a different load on your bearing it is showing that it may be faulty

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Hard to tell from the video, but doesn't sound like any wheel bearing I ever had go bad before.

If its a wheel bearing that bad the hub/tire should wiggle around.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I jacked up the wheels one at a time. I didn't detect any play but when I spun the left front wheel there was a definite scraping noise coming from it so I was sure I had found the culprit. But then when I spun the right wheel it was much louder.

Left

Right

·
Registered
79 Posts

Cap, there is a zerk fitting for the hubs? Good to know. I just went underneath to look for ports for the tie rods, linkages, etc and didn't see any for those.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Cap, there is a zerk fitting for the hubs? Good to know. I just went underneath to look for ports for the tie rods, linkages, etc and didn't see any for those.
there are no zerk fittings on factory suspension parts. the procedure the other member was referring to is removing the wheels speed sensor and adding grease through the opening for said sensor.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts