RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m installing the GTR lighting HID low beam kit I got from Headlight Revolution. Followed their instructions to the letter and have no low beam output. If anyone has installed this on there 2014 to 2018 RAM 1500 please contact me. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
3,819 Posts
I haven't dealt with the GTR or any other HID kit for these trucks, but from what I've read guys are using AlfaOBD to enable the HID lighting setting in the BCM. It does away with the PWM that runs the low beams and they are able to run HID kits without a battery relay set up that is usually used with HIDs.
I've used AlfaOBD to enable the dedicated DRLs on my truck that originally came with quads. I have them set to drop out with the turn signal and can turn them off through the radio. I also disabled the fog light drop out(highs and fogs can be on at the same time) and I added single zone Automatic Temperature Control (added temperature and humidity sensors).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This system is not supposed to require any extra “super programming“ steps.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Crash68 are you thinking of the options to enable LED lighting? I haven't seen anything in AlfaOBD in reference to HID lighting.

I used LED and HID lighting from CFT Performance INC. and haven't had any issues, but my truck came with the projector lights.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why are you telling me about AlphaOBD? Per the instructions provided by Revolution Lighting there is NO programming required for the GTR kit for my 2017 RAM 1500 ED. I decided to put it back together as original until tomorrow morning when I can call Rev Lighting and ask for help. Stock halogen bulbs back in place, working properly, and no CEL or other indications of problems.

·
Super Moderator
3,819 Posts
I was just putting the information out there, you may not want to use AlfaOBD but someone else may want to know about it.
I've read on various forums where parts are supposed to work with no problems and they do for some people and not for others. The other scenario is where the part works for several months then starts to act up.
This is a public forum for everyone to share and gain knowledge, it's not like I was direct messaging you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK. No worries. Thought you knew something different than what I was told. Didn’t want to run down a rabbit hole. I contacted GRT Lighting and they sent me a detailed response. Traveling now but will check it out and report back for others to benefit from my experience. Thanks again for the information.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The response I received suggested installing both HID assemblies prior to attempting starting the rig and turning on the headlights. Did that. Suggested reversing the plug from the vehicle to the ballast. Did that. Still not working. Contacted Headlight Revolution this morning and they were very understanding. Went through all installation steps in detail and the steps suggested by GTR Lighting. New kit on the way. I'll report back. So far I'm pleased with the service. Stuff happens that is sometimes beyond anyone's control.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem solved. Evidently the pin length of the stock low beam connectors was too short for the supplied wiring harness. Headlight Revolution sent a couple of cords that work great. They were patient and their main goal along the way was to help me get the lights installed. Before and after photos coming soon.
8D95156D-FF94-482C-8CD1-28D658CE4A0D.jpeg

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
HID low beam.jpg HID low beam & LED high beam simul.jpg
HID low beams then HID low beams and LED high beams simultaneously. Most of the high beam light is in the periphery because the HIDs are so bright. I do like that the projector focuses the beam onto the road and not nearly as blinding as reflector housings to oncoming cars. Totally satisfied with the GTR Lighting products from Headlight Revolution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts