RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i have a 15' Laramie, bought it used and immediately purchased a used ECM from a junk yard, sent it in to GDE and had it tuned. Love the Hot tune. Anyway, i swapped out the GDE ECM, put in the stock and got the A08 AEM for the refund. Picked up my Truck Monday night and have been driving it all week with the stock updated tune. Very first thing i noticed when i left the parking lot was absolutely no pedal delay at all, zip, zero, nada, instant throttle response. Now it still has the lazy down shift coming up to a stop sign and doing a roll and go, but the pedal response is instant. One other thing i noticed is it does not hold 8th gear for squat, shifts out very easy the second i press the pedal. If i did not have the Hot Tune i would be very happy with it as it is, although it does not have nearly the power for passing or out of the hole as the Hot Tune, along with the other benefits so I will be putting the GDE ECM back in. Just thought i would share.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Nice for all owners who were losing their minds after getting the first AEM version ,
that should get them running to dealers for latest AEM , giving them back a more decent truck .

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Just to confirm though.....when the OP puts his GDE tune back in, he'll still have the issue of his truck not holding 8th gear like it used to. Is that correct?

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Just to confirm though.....when the OP puts his GDE tune back in, he'll still have the issue of his truck not holding 8th gear like it used to. Is that correct?
I don't see why he should expect troubles with the 8th gear if he did not have issues with his tranny using GDE tune in the past ,
( before he got this new AEM ) , unless the AEM causes transmission to behave differently ,
only he can say what will happen .
in the past it was reported the first install of GDE tune can cause bizarre transmission shifts , but it did not last ,
very soon the learning tune made things right .
---
post # 4 in here :
My GDE Tune - 1,200 mile review + Couple Questions

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I don't see why he should expect troubles with the 8th gear if he did not have issues with his tranny using GDE tune in the past ,
( before he got this new AEM ) , unless the AEM causes transmission to behave differently....
Thanks Kazi....I was thinking that the overall AEM update included changes to both ECM and TCM, with shift point adjustments in the TCM. I was thinking that even when a GDE user reinstalls their tune, the TCM shift point changes would still be in place. Again, I could easily be mistaken....

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Maybe it is me who is mistaken ,,,,
I know when guys who had the transmission tune went in for AEM , they had to revert to original transmission tune
using the tool they purchased with the transmission tune , before going to the dealer .
then , after AEM , they needed to load the '' now modified '' transmission tune , again into the tool and send it to GDE , who
modified it again , and sent it back to customer for them to load to truck .
I do not have the GDE transmission tune so the whole process is confusing to me .

·
Registered
114 Posts
The terminology on these threads is confusing. It would be a lot clearer if folks talked about the AEM (V08) and the "update AEM (VA7)". Just a comment.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I felt the same way post AEM. Until I tried to tow my trailer. Significant decrease in ability while towing. I had to do something and now I'm VERY happy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, that is why i am going to get the GDE Tranny tune as soon as he is back.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Kazi....I was thinking that the overall AEM update included changes to both ECM and TCM, with shift point adjustments in the TCM. I was thinking that even when a GDE user reinstalls their tune, the TCM shift point changes would still be in place. Again, I could easily be mistaken....
It did not hold 8th gear that well with the GDE Tune either, I was planning on getting the Tranny tune, but i was to late, so now waiting. Although wit the VO8 update it seems/feels worse then before.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The terminology on these threads is confusing. It would be a lot clearer if folks talked about the AEM (V08) and the "update AEM (VA7)". Just a comment.
I haven’t gotten the AEM update yet, and when I questioned the service reps recently, they didn’t seem to know what I was asking regarding the “updated AEM.”
So, when I talk to my dealer about the AEM update, should I make sure they are installing the VA7 version of the AEM?
Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
I haven’t gotten the AEM update yet, and when I questioned the service reps recently, they didn’t seem to know what I was asking regarding the “updated AEM.”
So, when I talk to my dealer about the AEM update, should I make sure they are installing the VA7 version of the AEM?
Thanks
I guess my question just adds to this one. Does anyone know if VA7 is available at the dealers yet. And more importantly does anyone know if the tune is any better?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I just got my AEM update this week while the truck was getting a new tone ring and sensor,
it is listed as VO8;

Well heck the damned thing wants to rotate, sorry.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts