RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today its been raining all day long where I live and water had been pooling all over the roads. Well while driving to today I ran thru standing water on the driver's side and then it happen. I got all kinds of error messages, check engine light on, all the lights on the shifter were on, the center information display was telling me to service the DEF system, service the transmission, and service other things on the truck. I pulled over and shut the truck off to see what has wrong, but then I couldn't take the key out, like the truck was stuck in gear. I then tried to restart it, but nothing. I thought first it was a blown fuse, checked but nothing wrong. Next I removed the battery cable to try and clear the fault, but it didn't work. It did let me remove the key when I placed the battery cable back on. Next I looked under the truck to see if I could see anything but nothing. At this point I was getting really upset over the situation with the truck. Again after thinking for a few minutes, I when under the truck and started to look around the transmission area, thinking a connector had to get knocked off when I ran thru the standing water. I starting checking all the harness, and then I saw it. A cable that was hanging low that looked out of place. Crawling further under the truck, i saw the problem. There is a big harness under the truck on the inside of the frame, about even with the driver door that had came apart. The force of the water hitting the harness was so great it pulled not only the harness apart, but pulled the clips out the frame. Plugged the harness back together, locked the locking clip back, and pushed all the clips back into the frame. Got in the truck started right up no problem. Sucks expected truck to be tougher than this. Worst was that it was still raining hard while this was going on so I was soaked after fixing the problem. Looking at something to fab up help protect this connector in the future.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Can you take a pic of the connector so the rest of us know what to look for ?
Here is the connector, when I got home I looked at it further to see what had happen. This has the be the worst place and direction for this thing to be in. The locking clip moves to the rear to unlock it, so anything coming under the truck could hit the locking clip and knock it off. I was able to unlock it with no effort at all. Feel like it should have been mounted higher on the frame or the locking clip rotated so that is could be so easily unlocked.

Reactions: markcfoster

·
Registered
73 Posts
Good find, thanks. Maybe a plastic zip tie as an extra measure of safety ?? Think I'll put one on my truck

·
Registered
505 Posts
Not a very well thought out design point. I guess I'll hit the puddles in reverse for now, lol. Thanks for passing this along and for the pictures.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I saw that yesterday when I was putting nerf bars on my truck , and thought what a lousy spot for that! Wonder what's gonna happen when driving thru deep snow?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Am I the only person who was taught to NOT drive through standing water at speed? It forces water, under high pressure, into places where water shouldn't be. Add in that water doesn't compress, and things can happen.

Yes, I realize a different design could solve this, but so could not driving through water at speed. Even just backing off a few MPH, to turning a bit to avoid the water can solve the problem. I suspect in this case it was a combination of things - the harness wasn't fully engaged at the factory, and the water hit it.

NOT saying this is your fault Phife. Just sharing some knowledge from a couple decades of successfully offroading with nary a problem. New Jeepers often think it'll be fun to blast through a mud hole, or big puddle...only to learn hard and sometimes expensive lessons in a rapid manner.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Am I the only person who was taught to NOT drive through standing water at speed? It forces water, under high pressure, into places where water shouldn't be. Add in that water doesn't compress, and things can happen.

Yes, I realize a different design could solve this, but so could not driving through water at speed. Even just backing off a few MPH, to turning a bit to avoid the water can solve the problem. I suspect in this case it was a combination of things - the harness wasn't fully engaged at the factory, and the water hit it.

NOT saying this is your fault Phife. Just sharing some knowledge from a couple decades of successfully offroading with nary a problem. New Jeepers often think it'll be fun to blast through a mud hole, or big puddle...only to learn hard and sometimes expensive lessons in a rapid manner.
I understand everything you are saying. Normally I wouldn't be doing this, but I was in Jacksonville, FL (which means no draining and water everywhere) on a 4 lane road and had a another car next to me at the time who was doing the same on his side of the road. I saw it coming and backed off to around 35 but there was no getting around it. I only bring this up because of the location of the harness and the ease that it could be forced off not just by water, but any object that could be thrown under the truck.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I understand everything you are saying. Normally I wouldn't be doing this, but I was in Jacksonville, FL (which means no draining and water everywhere) on a 4 lane road and had a another car next to me at the time who was doing the same on his side of the road. I saw it coming and backed off to around 35 but there was no getting around it. I only bring this up because of the location of the harness and the ease that it could be forced off not just by water, but any object that could be thrown under the truck.
Figured you were in a no-win situation there. ;)

Definitely worth taking a look under our trucks to see what can be done to help protect this apparently vital connection. Appreciate you flagging it and sharing the details and pics - makes everyone better informed and able to avoid this potential issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too saw the plug when I was installing my drop down steps... Definitely in a horrible spot and facing a bad direction. I will zip tie or tape mine as you have confirmed my previous fear of it coming unplugged.... Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
255 Posts
That is the most ridiculous thing I've seen yet on our trucks! Who the hell thought of putting a major component electrical cable underneath the body like that!?!? It's a damn truck! You should be able to drive through puddles, snow, mud without these stupid issues. I don't even like seeing a cable of that nature under the truck exposed to everything. I might shrink wrap the entire cable. That way water, corrosion, and disconnects wont occur. Over time, that cable will fraid and corrode with the help of salt! I understand that the wires are wrapped but I can already see stupid faults 10 years from now with this cable.

This shoemaker design reminds me of my 1989 oldsmobile delta 88. The shoemakers put the fuel and brake lines on a metal bracket that wasn't corrosion treated. Once the bracket started the rust, everything started to rust. In no time I had to replace the brake lines and then the fuel lines since they all ran on the same bracket.

Looking at the photo again, I would highly recommend oil bathing your truck every year. Its going to be a P.I.T.A. to shrink wrap the entire line. I am defiantly shrink wrapping the connector though.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I checked the harness out last night and both connectors are mounted to the frame with a grey fastener. I will take some pics tonight and post it. I don't think that the harness is mounted correctly in your truck. I will confirm tonight.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Spang is right I took a look, grey fasteners seems really well protected where it is and secure!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I too saw the plug when I was installing my drop down steps
Yep, same here (well, side steps in my case). Went so far as to give the underbody a good once over, and found a few spots where cables were not properly secured in brackets/loops/hangers, and in the case of one, actually coming in contact with the DPF and piping before and after it. Oh, and some a couple of holes in the area where the synthetic horse pee gets sprayed in the exhaust - crappy, crappy weld job that should've never passed QC.

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
You resurrected a four-year-old post.

Never heard of any FCA issue but have read a few others that had issues. If you have had issues, tuck it up and tape around the darn thing. Most have had no issues.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Perusing thru these threads and saw this one resurrected from 4 years ago that caught my eye because I ran into it today.
FWIW, I was doing an oil/filter change today on my 2015 ECD, and while under there, I happened to notice this same plug.
It looked like it had come apart and coming off the frame. Got around to the other side so I could get at it. Sure enough, it had come off the frame and the cam lock lever was unlocked. I pushed the frame connectors back into the frame and re-locked the the connector wondering how did this get unlocked and off the frame. Well, it's real easy to unlock...waaaaaay too easy. Why off the frame? I dunno. I don't remember hitting anything.
It started raining on me so I finished up the oil change, but tomorrow, I'm going back under there, and I'm gonna zip-tie the heck out of this thing.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
I intend to find a tire inner tube next summer , ( too cold now in winter ) , cut it about 18 inches long ,
unclip the connector , slide the rubber inner tube on one side , reassemble connector
with an extra zip tie to lock closed , slide the rubber sleeve around it and zip tie around the wires on both sides
make it hold better to frame with more zip ties ... at least I'm not using duct tape ..:eek:
el cheapo fix for this vulnerable connector .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Today its been raining all day long where I live and water had been pooling all over the roads. Well while driving to today I ran thru standing water on the driver's side and then it happen. I got all kinds of error messages, check engine light on, all the lights on the shifter were on, the center information display was telling me to service the DEF system, service the transmission, and service other things on the truck. I pulled over and shut the truck off to see what has wrong, but then I couldn't take the key out, like the truck was stuck in gear. I then tried to restart it, but nothing. I thought first it was a blown fuse, checked but nothing wrong. Next I removed the battery cable to try and clear the fault, but it didn't work. It did let me remove the key when I placed the battery cable back on. Next I looked under the truck to see if I could see anything but nothing. At this point I was getting really upset over the situation with the truck. Again after thinking for a few minutes, I when under the truck and started to look around the transmission area, thinking a connector had to get knocked off when I ran thru the standing water. I starting checking all the harness, and then I saw it. A cable that was hanging low that looked out of place. Crawling further under the truck, i saw the problem. There is a big harness under the truck on the inside of the frame, about even with the driver door that had came apart. The force of the water hitting the harness was so great it pulled not only the harness apart, but pulled the clips out the frame. Plugged the harness back together, locked the locking clip back, and pushed all the clips back into the frame. Got in the truck started right up no problem. Sucks expected truck to be tougher than this. Worst was that it was still raining hard while this was going on so I was soaked after fixing the problem. Looking at something to fab up help protect this connector in the future.
Kazimodo linked this to me because I just had this exact same incident yesterday with my 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. Found same connector dangling, blew dry with compressed air, snapped back together, but still same symptoms. I’ll try again in morning, and try to remember to update here for others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts