RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 with Air Suspension is headed back to dealer for Air suspension failure. I had the pump replaced last January and that seemed to work for the remainder of the winter, but with extreme weather again this year in North Dakota the problem is back. When I spoke with dealer it continues to be a problem, but guy I spoke with said as of march 2018 FCA approved a new fix of exchanging nitrogen based system for something else seems to have fixed the problem. Has anyone heard of this? This is so frustrating to have the beautiful truck I can't drive without needing a back adjustment after a short trip. I can't believe there isn't a class action suit for this cold weather air suspension problem. Has anyone had this successfully fixed by the dealer? This is a spectacular system when it works for towing my trailer. I just want this to work year round.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I haven't heard of any major changes to the nitrogen based system.

We've had an unusually cold winter here in IL and no problems from my suspension. My truck is garaged and only drives in the cold.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First couple of years were no problem. When I brought truck in last January on a Saturday morning. I was the 5th truck he had checked in that day with air suspension failure. It was below zero that day. Guy told me they were on the 3rd generation pump for air suspension and they were optimistic. It was okay until this awful stretch we had where for 3 days the high's did not get above zero. I replaced the fuse after that stretch and it worked, but this week it again dipped into negative numbers and it crapped out again. I am also garaged, but truck sits out all day at my office. When it goes, it goes. I am just fed up to have a vehicle like this that becomes unreliable in cold weather. I have a short drive to work, but with no suspension, its brutal.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I haven't heard of any major changes to the nitrogen based system.

We've had an unusually cold winter here in IL and no problems from my suspension. My truck is garaged and only drives in the cold.
Mine (2016 with 32k miles) threw a notice for immediate suspension service when we hit -28F while I was driving. It sat idle for several days and once things warmed up, the code was gone and the system was functioning as normal.
My truck sits outside and has direct exposure to our weather west of Chicago.

I may just be lucky (or not)

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I had problems with mine a couple years back that happened when the weather was below minus 10 deg F or so. Took a couple weeks and 3 trips back to the dealer and FCA involvement and they finally figured out the air suspension controller which is under the driver's seat needed replacement. Since then it has generally worked reliably although I have had a couple times in the winter when the road was really sloppy/slushy with salt induced melted snow and then the temp fell and it wouldn't go to entry exit. When the weatehr warmed up a bit it worked fine. I concluded, with nor physical evidence, that all the slush got in places and then it froze and it somehow interfered with the sensors and one it thawed it worked again.

Prior to having the controller replaced the green 40 amp(I think) fuse blew several times. After the controller was replaced it has never blown again and I have the original compressor. THis winter has been colder than any otheres the truck has seen and the suspension is working fine with about 75,000 miles on the truck.

When I had the controller problem it worked fine until I drove about 7 miles and then it gave the alarm. It never collapsed the suspension but stayed at whatever level it was.

I have heard nothing about a no nitrogen fix and cannot imagine that makes any sense. A closed system with dry gas is the only hope for it to work well in cold weather. I cannot imagine a different gas can change the reliability in a closed system.

·
Registered
410 Posts
This year has been exceptional as far as cold and my '14 with air suspension has acted up each time it has gone below 5 deg F. Once it's below that I get the message for Immediate Service blah blah blah but the system doesn't let the truck down onto the bumpstops for some reason - it rides fine. But I don't like seeing that message cuz I can't help but think the compressor is running all the time or other such fault.

Amazes me that so many other vehicles are on the road that have perfectly functioning air suspension systems in frigid temps. For those of you who've been to the dealer... Were repairs done under warranty? I'm at 88,000 miles and am curious if this issue falls under the 100,000 mile warranty. Probably but not but this afternoon I believe in unicorns too so I thought I'd ask... ;)

Bob

·
Registered
410 Posts
What would those be?
Virtually all Range Rover/Land Rover models have air suspension as an option, along with a number of Mercedes, Cadillac and Beemers. Ram isn't alone with the offering but it just isn't as reliable as it should be - at least in the cold.

Don't get me wrong, I love the air suspension on my truck and with the exception of a couple of times a winter I have no issues with it. It's great for leveling the truck when towing my TT and carrying a heavy load in the bed. But when I decide it's better to drive my wife's Jeep on bitterly cold days because I don't want to deal with the faulty air suspension in my truck I get very frustrated.

Bob

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hey Bob,

I have owned a Range Rover 4.6 HSE with Air Suspension as well as a 4runner Limited with rear air Suspension and they both had issues.

The RR failed 4 times in 8 months of ownership. After a long drive at midnight in a storm in the White Mountains I was done with it and driving on the bump stops.

The 4runner went through height sensors every year.

I actually was leaning away from having the Suspension on the RAM but I am a sucker for not checking all the cool options.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Need to provide update to my first post of what dealer was proposing. I misunderstood/misheard what the new fix that was approved last year. I just dropped my truck off today and just heard the diagnosis. First off they evac the existing nitrogen, and recharge the nitrogen system. The new element is that they add some air line antifreeze and they apparently have had good success with this. In addition, they found some small leaks in the rear springs. Will pick the truck up tomorrow.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My passenger side rear dropped down to the bump stops. I thought maybe level links maybe the pump is frozen from past snowstorm and slush build up? I put a heater on the pump hoping for the best morning happened. Took it to dodge they spent a hour looking around at nothing. Turns out after we took the truck to a different shop in town. a wire from the pump was rubbing on the frame from the spring loaded mounts on the compressor. The wire corroded and broke inside the casing and was hard to spot. Better then a new compressor. Take a look around

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2015 air suspension had worked flawlessly until 3 weeks ago when the temperature in WI dropped to -13F. The truck is garaged at night so no problems driving to work that day, but at the end of the day my front end was dropped down to the hard stops. I had to drive it home that way. Put it in the garage and let it thaw. I checked the 40A compressor fuse and it was blown, so I picked up a new one that night and installed it the next morning. When I started the truck, the suspension returned to normal ride height. Went to work but at the end of the day the front end was down again.

I did a lot of searching different forums and found one that had a potential solution. Forums have a lot of debate whether it's a closed nitrogen system or not. My research says it starts as a 100% nitrogen filled system, but it's not a closed system, since the compressor has an input line with a filter for pulling in air behind the passenger tail light, and there is also an output line behind the passenger tail light that is connected to the 6 port valve block for the air suspension. The most likely cause for the suspension failure is a leak or moisture freezing in the suspension air lines, specifically the valve block. I was going to simply bring it in for a nitrogen recharge and pressure test for leaks, but decided to try the following fix first.

I bought a bottle of air brake line anti-freeze, which is a type of alcohol that prevents semi trailer air brakes from freezing. I pulled the 3 fuses related to the air suspension to prevent the compressor or valve block from operating. Also blocked up the rear of the truck, since that's were I was working. The compressor and valve block are right behind the passenger rear tire. Remove the cover over the compressor, it has cheap plastic rivets that sometimes can be turned out using a Philips screwdriver, but some had to be pulled out with a pliers. My 6 port valve block has 3 rows of 2 ports. The 2 ports in the 1st row were labeled P and Out. The P line goes to the compressor, the Out line runs up behind the tail light. I removed both of these lines using a metric wrench. I then took a medicine dropper with air brake line anti-freeze and squirted about 1/4 dropper in a line and 1/4 dropper into the port and quickly reconnected. Most of it spills out, but I know I got some in. The next row of 2 ports were labeled FL (front left) and FR (Front right). Since my front end was still all the way down on the hard stops already, I didn't think there would be any pressure or harm in removing these 2 lines. A very small amount of air came out of each. Do not remove these if your suspension is not all the way down. I repeated the 1/4 dropper procedure. The other 2 ports on the valve block are labeled RR(rear right) and RL(rear left). I did not remove these because the rear suspension was at normal ride height and would be around 200PSI of pressure and I was not having issues with the rear. I then put everything back to normal, installed the fuses and started the truck. I cycled the suspension up and down a couple of times.

The next day the suspension was still fine. I had to leave my truck at the airport while I was gone for 3 days. The temperature reached -24F for 2 days straight and was 17F when I returned on the 3rd day. The suspension did not drop. It was at normal ride height. It's been 3 weeks now and the suspension is working flawlessly.

This tells me that I don't have any suspension leaks and the air brake line anti-freeze did the trick and removed the moisture from the air suspension valve block. I do plan to have the system recharged with nitrogen before next winter.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I can tell you it is sealed. There is only a vent in the taillight to vent to atmosphere.

The only way to fill is to fill the reservoir to 175psi of nitrogen. There is no function of the ASU to take air from anything but the reservoir, which has both a high and low pressure side.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Would it help to set the truck when parking outside to „transport“ or „jack“? I mean would this prevent the compressor to work then?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Do not use transport mode as it deflates all of the bags completely. If the pump is not working, it will deflate to atmosphere.

Tire jack works but must be configured before before shutdown.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I like the idea of air line antifreeze but do not mention that to your dealer as they might use it as an excuse to void warranty.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like the idea of air line antifreeze but do not mention that to your dealer as they might use it as an excuse to void warranty.

Hey MacRam,
If you read my last post, the air line antifreeze apparently is now the fix. Just got my truck back today. They removed the nitrogen, recharged it, and put air line antifreeze in the system. They also found 2 small leaks in the rear springs so they replaced those. They claim that the air line antifreeze was approved as a fix around March 2018 and they have had good luck with it. I had my pump replaced in January 2018 and that was not an approved fix then. Thank you MaxCare. Total bill $1659, my bill $100 deductible. Will keep my fingers crossed that this takes care of the problem.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts