RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2014 Limited with the Air Suspension. I have had the truck now for 2.5 years and it has been back to the dealership 3 times for air suspension problems in the winter. First time it failed in the lowest mode where the tires would hit the fenders on every bump, second time it failed it was very uneven, the passenger side was in Off Road 2 and the driver side was in Aero Mode. Last month when it failed the rear was in Off Road 2 and the front was in Aero mode. This air suspension works awesome for 9 months of the year. It is a total POS though in the winter months. Every time I go to the dealer I am told FCA has no fix for this problem! I 100% agree that there should be a class action lawsuit for this problem.

·
Registered
392 Posts
And that's the rub in this Province. Everything is great between the beginning and end of July, everything else is just winter. My boss runs a 2017 1500 with the full air suspension. He has around 30,000km on it and has suffered frozen settings as well. Sure it didn't help that most of January, February and some of March were Antarctic in nature. This is the reason I opted to get the plain old leaf springs on my 3500. My suspension worked great all winter but I was even getting chassis icing problems.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The crazy thing about air suspension is that truckers do millions of miles in all weather conditions seemingly without issues with suspension or braking reliability.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Totally different air suspension systems Semi’s vs Automotive, My experiences with automotive air suspension started on early 1980’s Cadillac’s , system’s where problematic,same as Lincoln’s ,Mercedes ,ect ...I purchased a Limited with air suspension, I figured 30+ years later they had the air systems issues worked out, I was wrong, I had an early issue with mine , I kept reading about others with occasional issues, IMOP I will not purchase another vehicle with factory air suspension ....BTW I really enjoyed my air suspension, my truck with factory SRA’s tires rode like a magic carpet nicest riding vehicle I ever owned.

I purchased a 3500 leaf no air suspension,I added air bags , this system works for me . Basically a simple system much like Air Suspension on Semi’s , If you get a leak , you just replace the Air bag , Very simple and very cost effective..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes I agree I would never buy another vehicle with Air Suspension and all of my friends have seen how this system works in the winter and needless to say the Ram has advertised itself right out of a few sales over the last few years as the friends that bought new trucks did not buy a Ram. Now if FCA would’ve fixed this problem then they might have as they like the looks and the ride in the summer but doesn’t do us any good when half the year is winter here.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Knock on wood.......I've got 165,000 kms on my 2016 Limited Air Suspension without one problem. It has worked flawlessly even during our harsh central Ontario winters.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Bump......That time of year again.....

Hey MacRam,
If you read my last post, the air line antifreeze apparently is now the fix. Just got my truck back today. They removed the nitrogen, recharged it, and put air line antifreeze in the system. They also found 2 small leaks in the rear springs so they replaced those. They claim that the air line antifreeze was approved as a fix around March 2018 and they have had good luck with it. I had my pump replaced in January 2018 and that was not an approved fix then. Thank you MaxCare. Total bill $1659, my bill $100 deductible. Will keep my fingers crossed that this takes care of the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Find my post about recharging the air suspension. It's worked great for me so far and we've hit some serious cold weather already in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2016 limited. Live in North Dakota where we experience below zero Fahrenheit for 3 months or more a year. Never had any issues with it until last February. Almost never park inside as I have too much stuff in my garage and the wife thinks her company Equinox should get to be in the garage. Last February I started experiencing problems after I left my pickup in the heated garage while my wife was traveling. It would be fine when I'd leave but when I left work I would get the service immediately message. Sometimes the whole truck would be on the bump stops. Sometimes one corner would be down or the front or the back. Would blow fuses about every other day. Took it to the dealership a few times. They would replace the fuse, let it warm up and then not be able to find any issues and send us on our way. For it to happen again the next time it got really cold again. Eventually the weather warmed up and didn't have any issues all summer. As winter came, I was constantly in fear waiting for it to happen again. Extreme cold in December and not one issue. A week of extreme cold last week and nothing. Parked the pickup inside due to major blizzard this weekend. Pulled it out on Sunday, went to town and back and no issues and parked outside again. Woke up Monday morning got in the pickup and drove to work and about half way there it got really rough and realized I was on my bump stops. Pulled into work and parked it inside our heated warehouse. Checked the fuse and it was blown. Replaced fuse. After a few minutes it lifted up to normal. Tested system all the way down and all the way up and worked fine. So, I'm starting to think that it's fine if it stays cold but is developing moisture when it warms up then freezes when it gets cold and causing issues. I then pulled it outside about a half hour before I left for the day and left it in Offroad 2. Autostarted it as I left my office. Got in and jumped on the highway and it would not lower. Pushed the button to manually lower it and got the "air suspension cooling, please wait" message. As I was driving home I recalled a conversation with someone who had similar problems and he said he had heard of a goofy fix that seemed to be working for him but he thought it may just be a coincidence. What he had heard and had success with was when you start it up don't put your foot on the brake and press the start button once, wait a second and press it again to get full electronics on without starting the engine. Then put foot on break and press start to start engine. So when I got home. I shut it off and tried this. Pushed the lower button and was able to get it down to normal then back up to offroad 2 and back to normal with no issues. Didn't want to try entry mode as I was worried it wouldn't come back up. Kept starting it this way every time and had zero issues. It was well below zero until yesterday afternoon. I would still autostart it but then when I got in, I would shut it off and restart using this method. Had a few cocktails last night so I was a little foggy this morning and started it normally. It was 20 above when I left, so about 30 degrees warmer than the previous 2 days that I didn't have any. About a mile from my house I got the "service immediately" message. About half way to work. It was starting to ride rough. Got to work and the front was down on the bump stops. Rear appeared to be in normal. I shut it off and started it back up the way my buddy told me. Sat in the pickup for a bit and it raised the front back to normal. So, I'm starting to think that my buddy is on to something here. It may still be a coincidence but since I've begun having issues with it this week. I have not had one issue when I start it this way and each time I've started it normally I have had issues.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
tspeiker,
I know what you have experienced since I live in ND as well. Mine is a 2014, and the first 2-3 years had zero issues, then it began. First time in January 2018, they replaced the pump as apparently it freezes up and starts blowing fuse, that worked for a bit, a year later after failure, went in again, they replaced the pump, found minor leaks in the rear bags, and they did the airline antifreeze fix which they said is now approved. Fingers crossed, no trouble yet this year. Managed to get through the -20 days so far. I park my vehicle in a nonheated garage. If you are still under warranty I would ask about the airline antifreeze fix.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I live in Central Alberta Canada, and it can get very cold here in winter -30c at times. I have a 2016 with air suspension no problems first two winter's but last winter after driving for 3 hrs in -30c on highway problems started to arise. I left it in a heated garage for 24 hrs and all was fine. But when it got cold it acted up again. In summer it was fine. It was supposedly had nitrogen filled system. But I think it has inhaled some moisture in the system , this is NOT a close loop system. Behind the passenger tailight, there is a intake and outtake air lines. The intake has a filter on it, what I did was I took the filter cover apart put in some airline antifreeze in the cannister. Then I ran the suspension a few times for a couple of days. I have not had a problem since. I think the manifold block that all lines connect to freeze up. So far so good

·
Registered
27 Posts
I live in Central Alberta Canada, and it can get very cold here in winter -30c at times. I have a 2016 with air suspension no problems first two winter's but last winter after driving for 3 hrs in -30c on highway problems started to arise. I left it in a heated garage for 24 hrs and all was fine. But when it got cold it acted up again. In summer it was fine. It was supposedly had nitrogen filled system. But I think it has inhaled some moisture in the system , this is NOT a close loop system. Behind the passenger tailight, there is a intake and outtake air lines. The intake has a filter on it, what I did was I took the filter cover apart put in some airline antifreeze in the cannister. Then I ran the suspension a few times for a couple of days. I have not had a problem since. I think the manifold block that all lines connect to freeze up. So far so good
Which airline antifreeze did you use?
And how much?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I used turbo power air brake anti freeze from Napa Canada, contains lubricants prevents frozen lines and helps absorb condensation. what I did locate the air line behind passenger taillight there is a line that has a filter on top of it. it comes apart I just poured in about a ounce till filter was saturated. snapped it back together ran the air suspension a few times after it looks like the line goes to the distribution block. it comes in a 3.78 l container nothing smaller about $20. looks like this will be a annual maintence item to do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just used a battery blanket and wrapped it around the solenoid pack. Plug it in on my dash outlet. No issues so far since I put it in. May try the fluid too now though just for kicks.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Have a 2016 limited. Live in North Dakota where we experience below zero Fahrenheit for 3 months or more a year. Never had any issues with it until last February. Almost never park inside as I have too much stuff in my garage and the wife thinks her company Equinox should get to be in the garage. Last February I started experiencing problems after I left my pickup in the heated garage while my wife was traveling. It would be fine when I'd leave but when I left work I would get the service immediately message. Sometimes the whole truck would be on the bump stops. Sometimes one corner would be down or the front or the back. Would blow fuses about every other day. Took it to the dealership a few times. They would replace the fuse, let it warm up and then not be able to find any issues and send us on our way. For it to happen again the next time it got really cold again. Eventually the weather warmed up and didn't have any issues all summer. As winter came, I was constantly in fear waiting for it to happen again. Extreme cold in December and not one issue. A week of extreme cold last week and nothing. Parked the pickup inside due to major blizzard this weekend. Pulled it out on Sunday, went to town and back and no issues and parked outside again. Woke up Monday morning got in the pickup and drove to work and about half way there it got really rough and realized I was on my bump stops. Pulled into work and parked it inside our heated warehouse. Checked the fuse and it was blown. Replaced fuse. After a few minutes it lifted up to normal. Tested system all the way down and all the way up and worked fine. So, I'm starting to think that it's fine if it stays cold but is developing moisture when it warms up then freezes when it gets cold and causing issues. I then pulled it outside about a half hour before I left for the day and left it in Offroad 2. Autostarted it as I left my office. Got in and jumped on the highway and it would not lower. Pushed the button to manually lower it and got the "air suspension cooling, please wait" message. As I was driving home I recalled a conversation with someone who had similar problems and he said he had heard of a goofy fix that seemed to be working for him but he thought it may just be a coincidence. What he had heard and had success with was when you start it up don't put your foot on the brake and press the start button once, wait a second and press it again to get full electronics on without starting the engine. Then put foot on break and press start to start engine. So when I got home. I shut it off and tried this. Pushed the lower button and was able to get it down to normal then back up to offroad 2 and back to normal with no issues. Didn't want to try entry mode as I was worried it wouldn't come back up. Kept starting it this way every time and had zero issues. It was well below zero until yesterday afternoon. I would still autostart it but then when I got in, I would shut it off and restart using this method. Had a few cocktails last night so I was a little foggy this morning and started it normally. It was 20 above when I left, so about 30 degrees warmer than the previous 2 days that I didn't have any. About a mile from my house I got the "service immediately" message. About half way to work. It was starting to ride rough. Got to work and the front was down on the bump stops. Rear appeared to be in normal. I shut it off and started it back up the way my buddy told me. Sat in the pickup for a bit and it raised the front back to normal. So, I'm starting to think that my buddy is on to something here. It may still be a coincidence but since I've begun having issues with it this week. I have not had one issue when I start it this way and each time I've started it normally I have had issues.
Just a friendly hint-for very long posts a few paragraphs make it much easier to read.

The problem on my 2014 air suspension was eventaully traced to a bad control module located under the driver's seat. Took a while, but that fixed it. It acted up somewhat similar to what you describe. I love the air suspension and bought it on my new 2020 too.

I have a series of posts about my original problem on here somewhere. If interested you should be able to find them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interesting!
Where is the solenoid pack located?
It's right by the compressor. Right by the passenger side rear tire. There is a dust cover or whatever that has a few screws if I remember correctly and that covers the compressor and the solenoid pack that sends the gas to the correct bag when the compressor run is called by the level sensor. I was blowing the 40 amp fuse because the compressor was running but no gas was flowing to the bag. I found a YouTube video where this Canadian farmer used a heating blanket to wrap around the solenoid pack to add some heat. It's basically poor man's heat Trace. I used to leave it plugged in to a splitter last winter with my block heater. My truck would be at normal ride height when I started it up in the morning but then after about 10 min of driving it would get cold and go crazy. So I cut the cord end off the battery blanket. Added 15 foot or so with some crimp connectors and some shrink wrap and run it up the right side frame zip tied with the break lines etc and up through the lower portion of the passenger side front door. It goes under my weather tech floor mats and plugs into the 110 outlet. The inverter puts out enough to power it no problem and now I can warm my truck up in the morning and drive my 35 min to work and back with no issues. On a ultra cold day I may get a warning message but I'm talking 0 degrees out. If it starts to sag it's because the battery blanket isn't tight enough around the pack and the pack is getting airflow through and freezing the lines. I specifically purchased a Kat's 22200 80 watt 36" battery thermal wrap.

Hope that helps. I was so pissed driving to work with my nose down. Not to mention it's embarrassing pulling into work with my ass end sky high and my nose to the ground because it's not working as designed.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts