RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was cleaning the truck today and noticed some things.

While cleaning the "chrome wheel" on my Laramie level truck, I realized the wheels are not chromed. It appears to be a chromed plastic cover over the aluminum rims. Not a problem in my mind, as chroming anything adds weight and tends to make the metal more brittle, not ideal for truck wheels. They still shine up nice, regardless. :)

The interior of these trucks - at least in my trim and color combo (brown/tan) - is super easy to clean up. If you start in the passenger's front seat, you can reach almost the entire dash, and the center console easily.

And speaking of that center console...almost every spot where you place items has a little rubber liner which is easily popped out for cleaning, giving you the just-from-the-dealer-at-delivery clean look.

The Husky Weatherbeater mats I have are a breeze to clean, too. Pull. Shake. Wipe. Install. Fresh as new again, even in the beige we have to match the interior.

It took me two hours to wash, dry and detail the exterior of the truck. And about 20 minutes to tackle the interior! There was nothing to vacuum with the Husky liners in place, though I'll admit, I skipped the interior of the windows simply due to the temps starting to rise here today. I'll get to them in the morning tomorrow.

The BAK Roll-X Tonneau cover did a great job of keeping water out, only letting a bit in near the tailgate, which I think I can solve by adjusting the pad-contact points which lock the cover down.

On an unrelated note, those first two photos are examples of how NOT to take pictures of your truck. In one, the shadow from my eave is cutting across the rear of the bed, breaking up the truck's lines, and I the other, the overhead, way-to-bright sunlight is washing out the colors. Plenty else is wrong, but those are the major issues with those pics - both traceable back to the overhead, bright sunlight.

Link in my sig to a thread on how to take better pics of your truck. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Chromed plastic cladding on aluminum wheels has been used for at least a decade. They have a plastic look and feel which seems wrong, although in reality many parts of modern vehicles are plastic. The chromed plastic holds up better than polished aluminum and is lighter than chromed steel. I have seen such wheels on a 10-year-old Ram and they cleaned up great.

One of these days I'll wash Rhonda whether she needs it or not. :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
my 010 had the chromed plastic hub caps. wasn't happy when i realized that, and still don't like the cheapness of them, but they are easily replaced if they start looking bad, and from a distance you can't tell.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
My 03 ram had them and they would still clean up real nice after 11 years!!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Generally speaking chrome wheels from the factory mostly seem to be clad like ours. Oh well, less rotational mass.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Generally speaking chrome wheels from the factory mostly seem to be clad like ours. Oh well, less rotational mass.
Yep - lots of benefits IMO. Just something I noticed while detailing today.

Frankly, it opens up some cheap options for changing wheel colors, too. Order the chrome clad parts and go black maybe? Body color for that mid-80's monotone feel? LOL

Bet Black Gold wheels would look great with the Prairie Pearl paint...hmmmmm.......

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was surprised also. I thought it was sort of cheap, but have grown to like them. Easier to maintain and if they get damaged, easier to fix or replace. Painting them is also a great idea. can think of a why to salvage pitted chrome that way. I have Polished Aluminum wheels on my RV. 22" there is no clear coat so they require an annual polishing. Ugh. Nice observations.thanks

·
Registered
827 Posts
Hey, the chromed wheels are plastic.

Less rotational mass on my 6000lb truck. Just in case my next truck race has a standing start.

Thanks guys, I'll be chuckling about this thread all evening.

Seriously tho. I was kinda disappointed when I figured out that the wheels in this generation had plastic chrome. I'd be ok with it tho if there were some options. The chrome cladding is dirt cheap, so make some variations for folks to buy, for pete's sakes.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I wouldn't care if my wheels were made entirely from plastic, ANYTHING but bare polished aluminum. My motorcycle is covered in it and has cost me about a year of my life so far.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wouldn't care if my wheels were made entirely from plastic, ANYTHING but bare polished aluminum. My motorcycle is covered in it and has cost me about a year of my life so far.
Each time I buy a Ram (4th straight) I remove the chrome clad and buy real chrome or other wheel choice that compliments the truck. I find if you shop online and buy 20's for under $700 you can recover most of the expense when you resell the factory set. Same day I picked up my granite crystal Laramie last week, 3 hours later we were swapping wheels at a tire shop ( I ordered the wheels and were delivered to my door 3 days before my truck was delivered to me). I picked a PVD black chrome wheel to go with the dark gray paint, it is based on the older LoneStar 5 spoke design I had on my previous truck (2 trucks ago...) Here is a quick pic of the new look:

014_Ram_ED_w_black_chrome_wheels.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Each time I buy a Ram (4th straight) I remove the chrome clad and buy real chrome or other wheel choice that compliments the truck. I find if you shop online and buy 20's for under $700 you can recover most of the expense when you resell the factory set. Same day I picked up my granite crystal Laramie last week, 3 hours later we were swapping wheels at a tire shop ( I ordered the wheels and were delivered to my door 3 days before my truck was delivered to me). I picked a PVD black chrome wheel to go with the dark gray paint, it is based on the older LoneStar 5 spoke design I had on my previous truck (2 trucks ago...) Here is a quick pic of the new look:

View attachment 1474
Here is a closeup from OE Wheels website:

black_chrome_20s.jpg

·
Registered
254 Posts
The main benefit of the chrome clad wheels is that you no longer have to deal with chipping/pealing/corroding chrome on the bead causing slow tire leaks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts