RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Where are you that you're shut in? We have a stay home order but can still run essential errands.
It’s not “where I am”, it’s “what I am”. I have a job that’s known as “critical infrastructure”, on call with a take-home emergency use vehicle. If I drive so much as a block, it can’t be in my personal truck right now.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
It’s not “where I am”, it’s “what I am”. I have a job that’s known as “critical infrastructure”, on call with a take-home emergency use vehicle. If I drive so much as a block, it can’t be in my personal truck right now.
Same here, but I can stray a little further. Did a 14hr run to KY and back today, pulling my 12ft enclosed trailer.

Maybe I'm not as 'critical' lol.

·
Registered
285 Posts
will this device store the current tune in the vehicle before writing the tune included with purchase?
I am wondering if this can be used as a way to backup my GDE tune.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
will this device store the current tune in the vehicle before writing the tune included with purchase?
I am wondering if this can be used as a way to backup my GDE tune.
Wow , I never tought of that option , you could go from your GDE tune to the HD diesel supply tune for dealer visits ,
and when the dealer erases the HD diesel supply tune you could have it restored because they are still in business .
or maybe even better if the flash tool can keep the 2 tunes inside the memory , you restore it yourself .

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wow , I never tought of that option , you could go from your GDE tune to the HD diesel supply tune for dealer visits ,
and when the dealer erases the HD diesel supply tune you could have it restored because they are still in business .
or maybe even better if the flash tool can keep the 2 tunes inside the memory , you restore it yourself .
Back before I stepped up to HPtuners I was using handheld devices sold by SCT and Diablosport.
The tuner I was working with sent me multiple tunes, and I think the device was capable of storing 4 plus the stock backup. Additionally it would allow you to select which tune to write once the device was paired with the vehicle.
I can only hope technology has improved since 2012 regarding handheld tuner capability.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
First Impression:

So I finally got a chance to drive the truck about 60 miles with the tune today. Cold throttle response lag is gone (of course there's still a small turbo lag, hot or cold). When I stomp on it, I don't notice anything in the way of increased power, but I'm okay with that, as I didn't really buy it for power but instead for engine longevity. When not "stomping on it" the truck seems to hold each gear a little longer. I do also notice a slightly different exhaust smell...not unpleasant but different, maybe it has a slight smell of diesel fuel, IDK.
Then there's the MPG. So, before commenting on mpg I should note here that I normally drive like a 90-year-old man on downers driving home from church on a Sunday, so it is completely normal for me to see 30+mpg with summer blend fuel, and 27-28 mpg with winter blend. Today, with (I imagine) winter blend fuel, I'm seeing 33 mpg. I didn't fill up today, so this is on the computer, and before I get too excited I'm not sure if I can believe that yet. I'll calculate mpg by hand for a few tank fulls to double check this before I celebrate.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Attaboy timmytime ,
do you have a way to monitor your DPF soot % , a monitor or an app , to see
how many miles you are getting between the regens ??
to see if the HD Diesel supply tune is like the GDE tune ,going from 100 miles to 600 miles between regens .
that is a big indication of how clean the new tune is , compared to stock tune .

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Attaboy timmytime ,
to see if the HD Diesel supply tune is like the GDE tune ,going from 100 miles to 600 miles between regens .
that is a big indication of how clean the new tune is , compared to stock tune .
No, I've got no other monitors...the tuner has other features I'm going to look into, such as a code reader and such. Too bad it doesn't seem to have any monitors.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Attaboy timmytime ,
The pilot injection being turned off helps tremendously with soot, and gives the truck the diesel sound.
You should be able to view a regen in progress in the dash menu, if the HD supply tune enables messages like the GDE tune did.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Back before I stepped up to HPtuners I was using handheld devices sold by SCT and Diablosport.
The tuner I was working with sent me multiple tunes, and I think the device was capable of storing 4 plus the stock backup. Additionally it would allow you to select which tune to write once the device was paired with the vehicle.
I can only hope technology has improved since 2012 regarding handheld tuner capability.
Having multiple different "tuner" tunes won't ever happen.

The Powergate 3+ (the device everyone is using, MR Tuning, HD Diesel, SFT, etc) is capable of holding 5 plus the original. BUT, each tuner has a separate master device that encrypt's the file used by the Powergate. So no mixing and matching, unless you are buddies with all the tuners and willing to give their tunes to another tuner so they can encrypt in a single powergate file.

EDIT: Might be possible with the HP tuner device though. I don't know much about it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Having multiple different "tuner" tunes won't ever happen.

The Powergate 3+ (the device everyone is using, MR Tuning, HD Diesel, SFT, etc) is capable of holding 5 plus the original. BUT, each tuner has a separate master device that encrypt's the file used by the Powergate. So no mixing and matching, unless you are buddies with all the tuners and willing to give their tunes to another tuner so they can encrypt in a single powergate file.

EDIT: Might be possible with the HP tuner device though. I don't know much about it.
I should have been more clear, the handheld for the 01 Ram I used to have had 3 tunes - eco, perf, tow.
the diablo sport for the Challenger had 3 tunes also - 91, 93, 105 (octane).
The HP tuner suite isn't a device, it's a software program that uses an OBDII adapter/interface to read and write to the vehicle.
I was not implying that one handheld tuning device would contain tunes from multiple vendors.
The HP tuner VCM suite will read whatever tune is loaded onto the vehicle, that is how I imported the different tunes - load them onto the vehicle with the hand held, hook up the HP tuner, read, then return to stock with the hand held.
Once imported into the VCM suite they can be viewed, modified, and written to the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
timmytime , about monitoring ....
If you have an old smart phone not used , you can load the Torque Pro app on it ,
then hook it up to the OBDII plug near your knee , that old phone would become your monitor ,
4 years ago I got a Edge monitor ( $ 480 CDN ) only later did I read about the torque Pro app
less than 10 times the price .. (( app $5 , OBDII adaptor $30 ))
Edge monitors don't work with 2017 and newer trucks , they only read a very few useless parameters
because of different software in the trucks .
thread about Torque pro app:
and images of different look than can be selected using Torque Pro app.
compared to the expensive Edge monitors .

·
Registered
285 Posts
timmytime , about monitoring ....
If you have an old smart phone not used , you can load the Torque Pro app on it ,
then hook it up to the OBDII plug near your knee , that old phone would become your monitor ,
4 years ago I got a Edge monitor ( $ 480 CDN ) only later did I read about the torque Pro app
less than 10 times the price .. (( app $5 , OBDII adaptor $30 ))
Edge monitors don't work with 2017 and newer trucks , they only read a very few useless parameters
because of different software in the trucks .
thread about Torque pro app:
and images of different look than can be selected using Torque Pro app.
compared to the expensive Edge monitors .
View attachment 85773 View attachment 85774 View attachment 85775 View attachment 85776 View attachment 85777
X2^

I use the OBDLink app that came with the Bluetooth adapter to read codes and monitor from my android. works great

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I use the OBDLink app that came with the Bluetooth adapter to read codes and monitor from my android. works great
Does it monitor soot level and regen status?

I use and highly recommend Torque Pro. So much bang for the buck.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Does it monitor soot level and regen status?

I use and highly recommend Torque Pro. So much bang for the buck.
I'm not sure, I've never used it on the Ram. Only on my other vehicles and customer cars. It does not look as fancy as the screen shots you posted, but it was free with the puck.
edit: a lot about what any OBD software will display depends on what is being sent over the bus and what PIDs are available.
My beater (03 Corolla) only shows the basics, it doesn't even have oil pressure information on the bus.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've used both. OBD link is a little easier to setup what you want to monitor, but Torque is a little easier to "beautify". Logging is more straightforward on OBD Link.

Torque was causing my adapter (OBD Link MX+) to stay awake and drain the battery, that's why I switched to OBD Link. And OBD Link is free if you buy the adapter... so it has a pretty good bang-for-buck if you invested in the adapter.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Kaz,
Great info& pics. Very helpful.
My Torque does not have the two DPFs on/off that you show? Are they custom?
Where did you get those?
I ordered a new Edge monitor for my ordered 2020 Laramie, HP Cummins knowing it's limitations over my 2016 Eco Edge. Torque is the answer to the important DPF data.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Sorry John , I use a Edge CS2 monitor , those images were posted here on the site by
different members who chose different displays , if I read it right , all different available
looks in the Torque Pro app when setting it up .
My small , yet powerful monitor....

·
Registered
852 Posts
Kaz,
Thanks

41 - 60 of 88 Posts