RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thought I'd chime in. I also bought the HD Supply tuner with exhaust brake and high idle options, and it was delivered Wednesday. I had to buy a windows machine to update the software and send the initial file to HD Diesel which wasn't totally seamless because the new laptop didn't have some of the .NET libraries installed, and the errors were a bit cryptic as above. However, I eventually perservered, updated the device, downloaded my stock tune to the tuner, and then emailed it to HD at ~2PM. Much to my pleasure, they responded with my update the same day and I got it applied. The option I got was the one that shuts off the EGR, but doesn't allow you to remove it or the DPF.

I've only driven a few trips to pick up pizza and groceries, so less than 100 miles total. However, I filled the tank right after installing and have been watching the computer. My observations match the OP - going up a long hill into town, I am able to cruise in the OD gear and it maintains 60 MPH whereas it used to have to downshift. Mileage by the computer on relatively short trips is an amazing delta of 23.x to 29.x, so I really can't wait to see if that continues on longer trips. To put it in perspective, my last 400 mile highway trip got 27.2 hand calculated, and I had been between 21.2 and 23.6 around town. Like the OP, I don't drive particularly aggressively, but it seems a bit more throttle responsive and if I punch it to beat a yellow light or something like that, it reacts nicely.

I'll let you know what I see whenever I get the chance to get it out a bit more. Unfortunately, we're moving away from winter fuel here which will probably skew the results a bit.

2019 Ram 1500 Classic Crew 4x4 Tradesman w 5.7' bed and Ecodiesel. more or less stock w/ 17" wheels and crappy SRA tires.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Update on MPG

Sorry, long...

I had to make a long trip up north to assist my parents. I filled up yesterday when I got home and checked my MPG on the first tank with the tune. I calculated 33.2 mpg. This was from about 75% 55 mph roads, where I tend to drive 55+- mph. The other 25% was surface streets at about 40-45 mph. My truck's most fuel efficient speeds are in the 52-58 mph range. For those that don't know, mine is a 2015 Tradesman 4x4 regular cab with a cap, 3.55 rear end and factory 17" rims/tires.
I've been learning a few things about getting the best gas mileage with these ecodiesels. I'm an ex-prius owner, and I've found that normal hyper-mileage stuff doesn't always work with these trucks. One thing I've found is if you accelerate to your intended speed, then immediately put on the cruise, your gas mileage will suffer. It is way better to accelerate to about 3 or 4 mph above your intended speed, then coast back to your cruising speed before actuating the cruise control, as this forces a downshift first. In fact, if you really want good gas mileage, skip the cruise control all together...too many upshifts on cruise. Instead of using cruise control, do it yourself but don't try to perfectly maintain a speed: allow your speed to vary a little depending on terrain, slowing a little up the hills (but gradually speeding up a little just before the hill). That way the truck stays in 8th gear and doesn't shift for a hill.
Where the diesel is really different than a gasser is when coasting. A gas vehicle coasts at infinite gas mileage (the gas is shut off, or nearly so), while the diesel doesn't seem to coast with a large improvement on gas mileage (maybe it needs some gas to keep running, IDK?). I found a LOOOOONG coast before a stop, with very slight, incremental drops in accelerator pedal pressure, gives the best MPG. The fact that I'm doing this during the coronavirus shutdown helps, as I would never do this with people behind me (they'd want to kill me for sure!). BTW, on a side note about hyper-milers...don't be a dick! Most of these true hyper-milers are selfish pricks, with no concern about traffic behind them. They get better gas mileage while everyone behind them gets worse. If you're watchful and plan ahead, you can get really good gas mileage without screwing with everyone around you. Ok, rant off.
Another thing I've noticed with the ecodiesel is MPGs dramatically suffer when the block is cold, and this engine takes its time warming up. I plugged my truck in the whole past week, just to keep this to a minimum (and I've got an additional oil pan heater inline with my block heater), even though daytime temps have been in the 40's. This helps to get my truck up to operating temps very quickly. I don't see any harm in plugging in, so I may do this until summer.

·
Registered
333 Posts
33 with a reg cab and topper isn't bad.
At those speeds our ED would average 35-ish according to the dash.
In Texas the speed limit can be as high as 80-85 mph, so we rarely get better than 28.
When traveling up north at 65mph or less we usually get 30-33, depending on traffic.
We also do not have the described issues with the cruise control or coasting, i think that may be the tune.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Reactions: timmytime

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
listed on GDE site , ( )
In the Benefits and Features of the GDE tune .
there is this about the cruise control ;
''
=Refined cruise control operation (only for vehicles without adaptive cruise control)
-Retuned speed control for improved fuel economy
-Better gear holding during accelerations and uphill driving
-Lower possible set speed (15mph instead of 25mph, can resume from 5mph)
-Faster buttons' response '' .

In an old thread a member reported he did not like the fact that after hitting the ''resume ''
button the truck seemed to only go back to previously set speed '' minus 2-3 MPH ''
GDE explained it was designed like that to be more fuel efficient , and after a while the
previously set speed would be reached , but not right away .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys,
Does anyone know if HD is using the true GDE tune? I put the GDE tune on my 17 RAM at about 7000 miles. I’m about to turn 80,000 and I’ve absolutely loved it. Unfortunately at the time I didn’t get the off road tune and as we all know we can’t now. So my next option is the HD. They said I would have to have the dealer flash my ecu back to stock before I could use it. Not really a fan of that idea. Also I got the oil pressure sensing option with the GDE and I don’t know if HD will support that. Any thoughts would be highly appreciated

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Hey guys,
Does anyone know if HD is using the true GDE tune? I put the GDE tune on my 17 RAM at about 7000 miles. I’m about to turn 80,000 and I’ve absolutely loved it. Unfortunately at the time I didn’t get the off road tune and as we all know we can’t now. So my next option is the HD. They said I would have to have the dealer flash my ecu back to stock before I could use it. Not really a fan of that idea. Also I got the oil pressure sensing option with the GDE and I don’t know if HD will support that. Any thoughts would be highly appreciated
Sounds like I could try hitting the cruise control at 15 mph and see what happens...(?) I'm assuming if the cruise works at 15, it is one more clue that it is a GDE tune clone.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Hey guys,
I'm in the same boat, will likely go with HD when I'm ready to delete. Have been GDE tuned since new, and also run the oil pressure kit.

I don't understand why the ECM would need flashed back to stock.

Reactions: lucskoj

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in the same boat, will likely go with HD when I'm ready to delete. Have been GDE tuned since new, and also run the oil pressure kit.

I don't understand why the ECM would need flashed back to stock.
I don’t understand either but this is what they told me when I asked about the oil pressure sensing.

Options would be added in, it needs to be flashed back to stock by the dealer tool before it can be serviced with our flash tool.

We are a 100% Canadian company. We are True North Strong and Diesel.
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada 1-204-222-9500

·
Registered
260 Posts
Tuning files are very good for file compression and the flash tools take full advantage of this. Our FLASH file is 4 MB, but the file that MR Tuning sent to load on the flash device is on about 1.6 MB. That file includes the original and FIVE tune versions. I'm fairly sure that the Flash tool only contains a "delta" between each version to reduce file size requirements. It only know's the differences between each tune version and not the full contents of each.

Combine this with the fact that the Flash tool only does a virtual read (only pulls the software version, not the full FLASH file) and it's pretty easy to see how things can get screwed up pretty quick if the ECM is not in a known state to start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tuning files are very good for file compression and the flash tools take full advantage of this. Our FLASH file is 4 MB, but the file that MR Tuning sent to load on the flash device is on about 1.6 MB. That file includes the original and FIVE tune versions. I'm fairly sure that the Flash tool only contains a "delta" between each version to reduce file size requirements. It only know's the differences between each tune version and not the full contents of each.

Combine this with the fact that the Flash tool only does a virtual read (only pulls the software version, not the full FLASH file) and it's pretty easy to see how things can get screwed up pretty quick if the ECM is not in a known state to start.
What are your thoughts on the MR tune?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey guys,
J Ray B, So the GDE hot tune is now no longer satisfactory? Or did you lose it, or why switch to the off road tune? Other issues on the emissions system?

·
Registered
5 Posts
J Ray B, So the GDE hot tune is now no longer satisfactory? Or did you lose it, or why switch to the off road tune? Other issues on the emissions system?
No the GDE tune is great and I really don’t want anything else. But I plan on keeping this truck for a long long time. With that being said, I can and I am fixing to completely remove my egr, but I know in the future I will probably have problems with the DPF and when I do I’ll need a new tune.

·
Registered
260 Posts
What are your thoughts on the MR tune?
Not as good as GDE. A little better than SFT (run in my Jeep). Here's on of my previous posts about it:

Who as has lost GDE and gone HD or MRT? Looking for comparisons.

Of what I've be able to use so far, I like MR's +20HP tune over the +40HP tune. Feels closer to GDE.

MR probably is fine for full delete though. I bought a turbo to SCR pipe that will hopefully be (relatively) easy to swap just so I can play around deleted. I 'm supposed to take my truck in on Monday for suspension work, so I'm waiting on that.

I've also be doing some light dabbling with my own tuning. Just disabling EGR makes a huge difference and appears to reduce regens quite a bit. I think when this tuner's crank up the boost, that's what really generates the soot.

·
Registered
260 Posts
No the GDE tune is great and I really don’t want anything else. But I plan on keeping this truck for a long long time. With that being said, I can and I am fixing to completely remove my egr, but I know in the future I will probably have problems with the DPF and when I do I’ll need a new tune.
Really, DPF delete doesn't seem that difficult from a tune standpoint. I'm intend to try to figure it out if the downpipe to SCR delete works out. I would be helpful to have a GDE off-road tune to look at, but the only one I have attained so far is from a Jeep. Might be enough to figure it out eventually though. I've figure out the DEF switch, but the sensors are still active.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I've also be doing some light dabbling with my own tuning. Just disabling EGR makes a huge difference and appears to reduce regens quite a bit. I think when this tuner's crank up the boost, that's what really generates the soot.
I think pilot injection is the major soot producer. GDE has said the same thing. Reduce or remove pilot injection and you'll reduce soot a lot more over just EGR removal.

Reactions: chizzle1

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just FYI for those interested - I tested yesterday and could set my cruise at 15 MPH with the HD Diesel tune. I still haven't really gone much of anywhere, though, but I'm averaging 29.6 MPG on 200 miles since filling up per EVIC. (and also averaging 30 MPH, so mostly in-town driving)

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think pilot injection is the major soot producer. GDE has said the same thing. Reduce or remove pilot injection and you'll reduce soot a lot more over just EGR removal.
And it gives it the diesel clatter sound :)
In regards to the soot: yes, the pilot injection produces soot but the EGR is what pipes it through the intake.
While EGR disable won't reduce soot, it will prevent it from caking the intake, swirl ports, and valves.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If anyone on here has successfully backed up or restored any aftermarket tune using HPtuners or another handheld I'd be very appreciative if you would share.
I may end up having to take my truck to the dealer to get a FOB replaced and get some other recalls done. I would like to be able to restore the current GDE tune i have if they overwrite it.
There is no ECM recall or update for my vehicle, but I don't want to chance it.
Thanks.

61 - 80 of 124 Posts