RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
If anyone on here has successfully backed up or restored any aftermarket tune using HPtuners or another handheld I'd be very appreciative if you would share.
I may end up having to take my truck to the dealer to get a FOB replaced and get some other recalls done. I would like to be able to restore the current GDE tune i have if they overwrite it.
There is no ECM recall or update for my vehicle, but I don't want to chance it.
Thanks.
The HD Diesel Supply tune lets you easily go back and forth between stock and tune. Make it stock to take in for dealer service, tune it back for use. I've done it back and forth already now and it is easy.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The HD Diesel Supply tune lets you easily go back and forth between stock and tune. Make it stock to take in for dealer service, tune it back for use. I've done it back and forth already now and it is easy.
thanks, but I am wanting to keep the GDE tune (nothing against HD Diesel).
Unless it will read the GDE tune as the stock backup I don't think it will work for my application.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
thanks, but I am wanting to keep the GDE tune (nothing against HD Diesel).
Unless it will read the GDE tune as the stock backup I don't think it will work for my application.
Wouldn't it? I think the point is that it reads what is there, and calls it "stock". That is then saved in the device. You then get a new tune from HDDS. That tune becomes your "modified" tune, while retaining the stock tune. I'd give them a call but I'd bet it does what you want. It would then allow you to switch between GDE and HDDS, and give us a comparison LOL!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Wouldn't it? I think the point is that it reads what is there, and calls it "stock". That is then saved in the device. You then get a new tune from HDDS. That tune becomes your "modified" tune, while retaining the stock tune. I'd give them a call but I'd bet it does what you want. It would then allow you to switch between GDE and HDDS, and give us a comparison LOL!
The handhelds do not work this way. I'm pretty sure I've posted it in this thread twice. The handheld does a "virtual read". It only gets the software ID, NOT the full FLASH contents. I have the MR tuning device. Same device Powergate 3+. The file you send into them is about 15KB in size. Our FLASH file is 4MB.

Now, GDE has suggested that it's possible for the hand-held to read the full FLASH contents, but I haven't seen anyone doing this, and Alientech doesn't advertise it as an option. All it takes is one of these guys that have the HD Tuner is to check the .usr file that you send in. If it is the full FLASH it should be at least 1.3MB (smaller due to compression).

·
Registered
331 Posts
Chizzle why don’t you buy a used ecm and switch it when you go to dealer ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
The handhelds do not work this way. I'm pretty sure I've posted it in this thread twice. The handheld does a "virtual read". It only gets the software ID, NOT the full FLASH contents. I have the MR tuning device. Same device Powergate 3+. The file you send into them is about 15KB in size. Our FLASH file is 4MB.

Now, GDE has suggested that it's possible for the hand-held to read the full FLASH contents, but I haven't seen anyone doing this, and Alientech doesn't advertise it as an option. All it takes is one of these guys that have the HD Tuner is to check the .usr file that you send in. If it is the full FLASH it should be at least 1.3MB (smaller due to compression).
I'm not doubting what you're saying at all (in fact I noticed my stock read file was considerably smaller than the tune file), but then a question: how does the tuner take it back to stock if it doesn't read the file?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm not doubting what you're saying at all (in fact I noticed my stock read file was considerably smaller than the tune file), but then a question: how does the tuner take it back to stock if it doesn't read the file?
Alientech has a database of Original FLASH files. (Tuners use the term "ori file" a lot.) The tuners use the software ID that the handheld pulls to match to a file in the database. So the "stock" file that the device can reprogram is the original file from the Alientech database. Then any "tuned" files are a delta of that "stock" file.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
If anyone on here has successfully backed up or restored any aftermarket tune using HPtuners or another handheld I'd be very appreciative if you would share.
I may end up having to take my truck to the dealer to get a FOB replaced and get some other recalls done. I would like to be able to restore the current GDE tune i have if they overwrite it.
There is no ECM recall or update for my vehicle, but I don't want to chance it.
Thanks.
Consider buying a stock ECM and programming it to work in your truck. Easy to do with AlfaOBD app. Then use the stock ECM for dealer visits.

AlfaOBD can also program a key fob for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had the new HD tune for a few weeks and it’s been great so far the install is pretty easy, I had a few issues and they responded right away so that was very reassuring. Really seems like they working with GDE there’s a section in the instructions that reference the GDE flash scan tool and any tech answers come back like there forwarded from someone else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve had the new HD tune for a few weeks and it’s been great so far the install is pretty easy, I had a few issues and they responded right away so that was very reassuring. Really seems like they working with GDE there’s a section in the instructions that reference the GDE flash scan tool and any tech answers come back like there forwarded from someone else.
That is quite interesting ?

·
Registered
260 Posts
It's been highly suspected that this is the case. Would you mine sharing the instructions here?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
As an FYI, the other day I returned mine to stock, and tried using the cruise at slow speed, but 25 mph was the low set limit. Then I went back to tuned, and I could actuate cruise at 15 mph (actually, I could actuate it at 10 mph, but it would accelerate to 15 mph and stay there). So, at least that portion, is similar to GDE.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
timmy,
I'm not sure that's a good confirmation. My SFT tune operates cruise the same way.

·
Vendor
1,255 Posts
I would like to see that. Some companies have copied GDE install instructions almost verbatim.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I also recently went the HD Supply tuner path. The process is straight forward, as others have stated. I experienced no technical problems whatsoever . In fact, in preparation, I dusted on an old laptop running windows 7, and the experience was flawless.

Driving experience; so, like many that are sheltered in place, this gave me an opportunity to take this tune on as I’ve completed a 10 year honey do list (joking as the list never ends). The problem is, I have nowhere to go. I’ve driven maybe 30 miles at most with the tune and can’t really report anything other than I have not experienced any problems.

I’ll report back when I get some miles on, whenever that will be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, just wanted to share my review after installing the HD Diesel Supply tune on my 2019 Ram 1500 Classic ED 4x4 crew cab. I love the tune when unloaded. I’ve been getting upwards of 31 mpg. I live in the mountains of Colorado and do a lot of highway driving. My only complaint is towing performance. I don’t notice any additional power and it seems to run hotter than it did with the stock tune. I only tow a 3,600 lb (dry) travel trailer and I routinely see 250+ degree oil temps on hills going 45 mph (about 2,220 -2,700 rpms) with outside temps in the 60’s. I have 3.92 gears. I’ve reached out to HD Diesel Supply for suggestions. Hopefully they have a solution. Truck is still under warranty so can’t do any engine mods.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
what is your trim model , Laramie , Big Horn ?
some grills are better than others for temps while towing .
Longhorn grill breathes better than the 2 models above .

·
Registered
15 Posts
It’s a tradesman but even if it wasn’t, that wouldn’t explain Why it was hotter with the new tune than it was with the stock one.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
All tunes that disable the egr and optimize combustion well run hotter when working them hard. The reason for this is in cylinder temps are hotter than stock. The egr purpose in life is the keep in cylinder temps down around 2500 F to minimize the production of Nox emissions. Even at 260 F oil temps your not at the derate temp yet and even if you hit derate temps it well just reduce power to protect itself.

81 - 100 of 124 Posts