RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got the GDE Hot tune a while ago. The SKT tranny tune is $400.00 and I emailed HD Diesel and they said that they have a Tranny tune that is essentially the same as the GDE Tune, but it is $1000.00 CAD so that is about $760. US. is it worth it for almost twice the SFT Tranny tune?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Personally, I would go with HD Diesel Supply (GDE). I don't think there's anyone in the Ecodiesel tuning industry that is more detailed-oriented and has done more research than GDE.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Personally, I would go with HD Diesel Supply (GDE). I don't think there's anyone in the Ecodiesel tuning industry that is more detailed-oriented and has done more research than GDE.
Respectfully asking here...has it been confirmed that HD Diesel Supply is GDE reincarnate?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Respectfully asking here...has it been confirmed that HD Diesel Supply is GDE reincarnate?
Great question. I have not heard a definite confirmation, but it has been heavily hinted to, which includes the public endorsement from GDE themselves. You could send a message to GDE and ask for confirmation. I'm planning to trade my truck this spring for a 2020 Ecodiesel, so that's the only reason why I haven't gone though with the tuning.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see the tranny tune in their website.
I didn't see it either, so i emailed them. Told them I have the GDE Hot tune and asked if they have a Tranny tune.
His answer:
" Yes we do have a trans tune. It is uploaded from a hand held onto your trans module. It is very similar to the GDE one. It's about $1000.00CAD."

This was his emailed back to me just a couple days ago.
I agree with the other comments above, about going with the HD Tranny tune, but it is kind of suspect that it is $260 more (50%) maybe that's the cut that GDE is getting for letting them use his tune.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My dad has the gde transmission tune and I have the sft transmission tune. The transmission tune is what sft started with and their most recent "rally" tow mode update is pretty awesome. I've driven my dad's truck and mine and the base transmission tunes feel almost identical, but the rally tow mode is much nicer on mine with sft.

For almost half the price, I would go with sft. The engine tunes get a bit more complicated and gde did theirs in house so it was more detailed. But the transmission is about the same. I have the software in my computer and have reviewed the maps from both companies tunes and much of the settings are similar with a few changes here and there between the tune. I know you will be happy with the sft tune. My dad likes the rally option I have. I imagine it may be similar to the "race" feature gde offered for their transmission tunes. But I'm not sure

That my 2 cents having experience with both.

·
Vendor
1,119 Posts
You must not have looked at the code between GDE and SKT on engine or trans tuning as your statement above is false. The number of maps changed is very different. GDE are diesel calibration engineers working in the field over 20 years for OEMs. SKT is a guy that knows nothing about diesel combustion or transmission design. Show me your comparison file lol

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have used both the GDE and SFT tunes and I support what Gputah said. I have no knowledge about the software code, etc., I only know how tunes perform on my truck. I can say the SFT ECU tune performs as well, maybe better than the GDE tune. The SFT TCU Rally tune is outstanding. I track MPG, MP Regens, Temps and RPMs and all my data says that the SFT owner is not a "drone operator" or any of the other pejorative names given.

This forum dislikes SFT and that's okay. I'm just trying to keep the personal opinions out of the equation. By the way, I have found all the disparaging remarks about the tunes or the owner to be untrue.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Gde, I only looked at the transmission tunes and they looked pretty similar. I understand your knowledge in the engine tunes which is why I said what I said. But the transmission tunes are similar enough that the cost difference is only worth it if you just want gde tuning your vehicle based in their reputation. Both sft and gde use the same software and same devices to tune the transmission. The transmission is also in so many vehicles in the world that the knowledge and access to tunes is much more available than with the ecodiesel engine.

My dad didn't like sfts name and didn't want anything to do with them because if it and went with gde for both engine and trans tunes.

It's really a moot point at this stage of the game as gde can't sell in the US. If you get the tune from Canada, you get hit with the extra cost. But it's still worth it to some.

Sft didnt have much a a chance on this forum both by their actions and how they were treated by the members in here.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think for many of us, SFT's name and attitude turns us away. If they'd change their name, their marketing presence, and then back up their tunes with real data.. We might take them seriously.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I see it slightly different.

GDE comes across as the race team that tweaks EVERYTHING and spends thousands of hours to eek out that last teeny bit of efficiency. So you'll pay for that.
SFT comes across as the canned-tune guy, gets pretty much the same results that in the real world are identical, and therefore doesn't have the overhead costs.

Other than SFT's name is a bit embarrassing to say you have their product and they both acted like children with the bickering, with GDE's pedigree I'd probably stick with them if money weren't a concern.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I think for many of us, SFT's name and attitude turns us away. If they'd change their name, their marketing presence, and then back up their tunes with real data.. We might take them seriously.
That's a big part of it. Then there's the fact he admittedly knows very little about tuning. He stated he went to Bosch and VM Motori in an attempt to learn tuning and was told to pack sand. He's provided no evidence of experience or education in the way of tuning. If that's who you want to trust your expensive truck to, by all means.

SKT doesn't turn off pilot injection. If he understood what it does and the consequences of having it enabled, it would be off in every tune.

But we know there are some very good options to our north.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Bounty Hunter, remember gde clarified that they do not turn off pilot injection completely, This came up when it was questioned in another post. However, they modified it to run more efficiently. Sft tunes don't do anything with pilot injection and I think that is part of the reason they Regen more frequently than gde. More fuel, more soot, more regens. At face value and from my mpg comparisons, sft gives you similar fuel economy, until you account for the regens. Which occur 2-4 times a tank, and gde is about 1-2 times a tank, based in my own experience.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the GDE hot tune and the GDE tranny tune. Ran the truck for about a year with only the hot tune. Personally, I'm not that impressed with the GDE trans tune. The tow/haul mode is AWESOME if you are actually towing and complements the exhaust brake really well, but the normal mode just shifts way to quick in my opinion and tends to lug the engine a lot. It also feels like it takes way to much throttle input (in my opinion) to make it downshift. It almost feels binary, either hard acceleration or barely at all. And it will hold 8th gear to almost silly proportions. On fairly large hills, the truck sometimes makes noises that just don't sound natural. I've tried clearing the learning a couple of times and it didn't help.

Maybe something is wrong with mine, I never really gave GDE my feed back, but I think I payed $500 for it and wouldn't do it again unless I knew i'd be towing a lot. No way I'd bite for $750.

I recently took the truck in for service, so I put in the stock ECM and set the trans back to stock. Afterwards when I put the GDE hot tune back in the truck felt really nice. I added back the GDE trans tune over the weekend and its just not that good. Pulling out under light power it shifts to 3rd gear by like 15mph. Mild city MPG's apprear to have dropped by about 0.5 - 0.8 MPG.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have used both the GDE and SFT tunes and I support what Gputah said. I have no knowledge about the software code, etc., I only know how tunes perform on my truck. I can say the SFT ECU tune performs as well, maybe better than the GDE tune. The SFT TCU Rally tune is outstanding. I track MPG, MP Regens, Temps and RPMs and all my data says that the SFT owner is not a "drone operator" or any of the other pejorative names given.

This forum dislikes SFT and that's okay. I'm just trying to keep the personal opinions out of the equation. By the way, I have found all the disparaging remarks about the tunes or the owner to be untrue.
Jimmy is a drone operator that is what his day job is unless he changed his mos within the last couple months. That wasnt a pejorative name but factual info.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thanks for the correction.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts