RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Was driving into work this morning and P26AB came on. Drove fine no issues that I noticed. I got home today and it didn't clear so I opened the hood to take a peek and I'm wondering if its a blown head gasket now.

I noticed my coolant reservoir looked dark and when I opened it it looked like foam or sludge. After dipping my finger in it looks like oil. I checked the oil and its low but doesn't look like coolant is in the oil on the dipstick or anything.

Is this likely a head gasket? I only have 160,000 km on the blood thing so this pisses me off. I just had the rad, oil cooling lines and stuff replaced 4-6 months ago so is it possible that something they did during that service caused it? I really don't want to be looking to buy a new truck after I paid this thing off.
IMG_20200915_151820.jpg
IMG_20200915_151829.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wondering, I'm looking at my repair bill for the EGR recall which was done in March this year. Wouldn't this have been replaced then? I see right on the bill it says cooler.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The recall was for the EGR cooler not for the oil cooler. The replacement of the oil cooler is not hard, there are 6 bolts holding it, the hard part is to flush the oil out of the cooling system.
The oil cooler and filter assembly with new filter in it runs for like $200, just for the part.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The recall was for the EGR cooler not for the oil cooler. The replacement of the oil cooler is not hard, there are 6 bolts holding it, the hard part is to flush the oil out of the cooling system.
The oil cooler and filter assembly with new filter in it runs for like $200, just for the part.
Am I reading this wrong then? There was several things done at the same time.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Basically in an oil sample High Sodium is going to an EGR cooler and high potassium is going to be an oil cooler. good luck !

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
The P26ab code is for the three way valve sticking which is commoly caused by an oil cooler failure. Your symptoms sound like a classic oil cooler failure. Stop driving it and change your oil cooler and flush the cooling system. New oil coolers can be found online for a smidge over $100 now and there easy to change.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Looks like they installed a new cooler, which is most likely failing or they messed up the install/gasket when they did it. Take it back to the dealer and have them check it. If the new cooler is bad they should cover its replacement I would think.

Reactions: Dennisvab
1 - 11 of 11 Posts