RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are plenty of headlight threads on here, but most seem to be focused on HIDs or LEDs. My stock headlights are wimpy; I'd really like to swap them out for something different. What are my options without going to an HID or LED bulb? Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with a bulb that is, at least, somewhat better than the stock lamps? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
749 Posts
Seriously, it's not the light bulbs themselves, it's the lousy design of the housing and reflector. You can go back over 30 years and see Hella or Lucas Carello headlamps that put a lot of light with simple H4 bulbs on the road in the right place. The crap they make in N/A is just unbelievable when it comes to headlights.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Seriously, it's not the light bulbs themselves, it's the lousy design of the housing and reflector. You can go back over 30 years and see Hella or Lucas Carello headlamps that put a lot of light with simple H4 bulbs on the road in the right place. The crap they make in N/A is just unbelievable when it comes to headlights.
I hate the fact that you're right with this comment. Sadly it's true.
I got spoiled with my Escalade Platinum which employed the Xenon lights. Miss them babies.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I know there are plenty of headlight threads on here, but most seem to be focused on HIDs or LEDs. My stock headlights are wimpy; I'd really like to swap them out for something different. What are my options without going to an HID or LED bulb? Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with a bulb that is, at least, somewhat better than the stock lamps? Thanks.
If you’re going to change your lightbulbs HiD or LED or a good option there are other better than the stock bulbs but you still have to go through the same motions to remove and replace process

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LED and HID are better than the stock yellow bulbs. Are you wanting new housings?
I thought the HID and LEDs were illegal? Is that the issue with the truck's poor lighting; the housing is sub-par? So better lamps would require a change in housing?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I thought the HID and LEDs were illegal? Is that the issue with the truck's poor lighting; the housing is sub-par? So better lamps would require a change in housing?
They are. Yes and yes.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Not a matter of opinion, fact. Read the article and it says HID and LED systems are legal, retrofit are not. Bulb must be used in housing it was designed for. Impossible to design an HID or LED bulb to meet H11 or 9005 specifications.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Not a matter of opinion, fact. Read the article and it says HUD and LED systems are legal, retrofit are not. Bulb must be used in housing it was designed for. Possible to design an HID or LED bulb to meet H11 or 9005 specifications.

this is from that article
However, some vehicle owners try to upgrade the lighting of their vehicles to mimic the Xenon-HID lights found on higher-end cars. These aftermarket bulbs are not HID light units, may not meet provincial or state regulations, and are, in fact, illegal.
also '>>
The Highway Traffic Act also says headlights have to be installed, aligned and maintained properly so as not to cause glare or dazzle oncoming drivers. If improperly installed, maintained or aligned headlights are blinding drivers, the fine is $110

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Not a matter of opinion in the USA. All headlamps must be DOT approved to be legal. Not familiar with Canadian laws.
random link https://www.diodedynamics.com/replacement-oem-hid-bulbs-for-2014-2016-jaguar-f-type-pair-47.html
Quality. There are all kinds of HID bulbs on the market, but these are the best combination of quality, without a high price tag. Manufactured in a fully automated environment by CNLight, they are known as “HB” series, with high output, and DOT/SAE and ECE compliance in arc position and size. Using German quartz and American salts, no expense is spared in their construction. This leads to long, reliable life, and excellent color.[h=3]Color[/h]
>>

·
Registered
383 Posts
Federal law actually states if the car came from the factory with led bulbs changing to any other type of bulb is prohibited, so halogen or led or xenon stay, and 60 watts is the highest wattage allowed,
I'm comfortable putting 100 watt bulbs in for the highs, getting a quality bulb in 100 watts is easy, makes a world of difference.
For example
https://www.hidconcept.com/collectio...oaAsvTEALw_wcB

Brighter H4's, if that's what your truck came with.

https://www.ebay.com/i/263292930365?...D1426633681896

And brighter yet

Btw, so is defeating the federally mandated emissions system.

·
Administrator
8,675 Posts
random link https://www.diodedynamics.com/replacement-oem-hid-bulbs-for-2014-2016-jaguar-f-type-pair-47.html
Quality. There are all kinds of HID bulbs on the market, but these are the best combination of quality, without a high price tag. Manufactured in a fully automated environment by CNLight, they are known as “HB” series, with high output, and DOT/SAE and ECE compliance in arc position and size. Using German quartz and American salts, no expense is spared in their construction. This leads to long, reliable life, and excellent color.[h=3]Color[/h]
>>
I'm not discussing if DD are DOT approved or not. I simply said. "Not a matter of opinion in the USA. All headlamps must be DOT approved to be legal. Not familiar with Canadian laws."

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Federal law actually states if the car came from the factory with led bulbs changing to any other type of bulb is prohibited, so halogen or led or xenon stay, and 60 watts is the highest wattage allowed,
I'm comfortable putting 100 watt bulbs in for the highs, getting a quality bulb in 100 watts is easy, makes a world of difference.
For example
https://www.hidconcept.com/collectio...oaAsvTEALw_wcB

Brighter H4's, if that's what your truck came with.

https://www.ebay.com/i/263292930365?...D1426633681896

And brighter yet

Btw, so is defeating the federally mandated emissions system.
How do you know what kind of lamp the truck came with? I've not a clue.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The vin will offer up the door window sticker which will say they type of headlamp system, on the ram site.
A call to a dealer with the vin might be better.
I agree, I don't know if I have LED or whatever.

Had an '06 Prius with Xenon bulbs, the lighting was terrible, I never drove it at night, never, now I have a 17 plug-in Prius with LED's and they are great, and my 15 ram has great lights, again, without looking at the window sticker, have to guess what type.

·
Registered
456 Posts
>>
Those are legal replacements for the OEM HID bulbs not for trucks with halogen bulbs. It is impossible to build an HID or LED bulb that meets the specs. Check out Candlepower forums for a full explaination.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have the quads and picked up these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0776ZRVRG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 until i get my retrofit done, you will also need decoders. i did have to adjust the beam to drop the cutoff in order to not blind anyone. if you have the quads you can also do the h9 mod, involves cutting out a tab on the bulb, but it is only marginally better.

If you have projectors you can install hids or leds as there is a cutoff plate inside the lens

To be legal in most areas with the quads you will need to do a retrofit for Hids
Retro Shop Online Store has all the stuff in order to do a retrofit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts