RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m hearing on Facebook there is a new recall campaign (W68) that is going to actually replace the reluctor rings on our trucks. Can anyone in the know confirm? Allegedly it was just issued this morning.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
W58 is just a software update to fix stalling if ring breaks, they arent replacing rings

Brutus mentioned W68. I believe the one you are referring to, the ring, is W58. Maybe he fat-fingered it. I cannot find anything under W58.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
W68 is what I have heard. Here’s a copy of what I read:

”Crank sensor recall has been updated. No longer flashing the ECM to use the cam sensor as a fallback. They are now going to replace the crank sensors. Believe it's the wheel as that's what's delaminating. Son works at a dealer and said the trans has to be pulled. Parts expected Q1 2021. He just got the notice this morning. Don't have any more info, my son just told me to hold off on mine since the update is coming. This is literally only a few hours out and most dealers probably won't know about it yet. Recall Campaign W68”

·
Registered
414 Posts

”Crank sensor recall has been updated. No longer flashing the ECM to use the cam sensor as a fallback. They are now going to replace the crank sensors. Believe it's the wheel as that's what's delaminating. Son works at a dealer and said the trans has to be pulled. Parts expected Q1 2021. He just got the notice this morning. Don't have any more info, my son just told me to hold off on mine since the update is coming. This is literally only a few hours out and most dealers probably won't know about it yet. Recall Campaign W68”
This is Great news ! This is the ONLY thing i have ever worried about on this vehicle. So far it has been absolutely bullet proof and a dream to own. Powerful, Comfortable and incredibly reliable all with outstanding fuel millage. :) .

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

Wonderful! Here's hoping that is correct. Wonder if FCA had too many complaints on the software fix or if the Feds ordered them to fix it, not ignore it.

Reactions: MAS

·
Registered
46 Posts
W58 is a software update, as stated above. Most people fall into this category.
For people who opted out of the
I’m hearing on Facebook there is a new recall campaign (W68) that is going to actually replace the reluctor rings on our trucks. Can anyone in the know confirm? Allegedly it was just issued this morning.
W68 is only for people who opted out of V08 and the eco-diesel settlement as a whole.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

·
Administrator
8,851 Posts

W68 is only for people who opted out of V08 and the eco-diesel settlement as a whole.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
Interesting.

·
Super Moderator
2,603 Posts

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
While I understand what you are saying, I think this is total BS! FCA should replace the part they have admitted to being defective, (the reluctor) not some BS flash workaround that guess what, leaves the customer to foot the bill for the replacement.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
Are you sure? That answer makes no sense to me.
How does opting in or out of V08 enter in? It has nothing to do with the reluctor ring.

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Laramie
10 Posts
How does opting in or out of V08 enter in? It has nothing to do with the reluctor ring.
A recall is a recall, opt out of a different recall should not affect another. NHTSA would not accept they opted out if a wreck was caused due to a recall... I would ask an attorney familiar with automotive recall/lemon law cases to confirm.

Reactions: MAS

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Laramie
10 Posts
:confused: A Software Patch so FCA does not have to have to drop the trans and replace (or design a separate heat resistant) part that will not delaminate in the future. I only see future software issues with this solution but hey im sure they've got all this figured out... :censored: Here's links to the Nhtsa recall.

·
Administrator
8,851 Posts
I agree. The only thing I can think of is since the sensor is covered under the AEM extended warranty, FCA pulled a quick one with Nhtsa saying the software fix takes care of the stalling hazard and the part is already covered under the AEM warranty. Owners who opted out will likely get the software update too along with the physical fix since they aren't included n the AEM extended warranty for sensor replacement. If that's the case it's total BS since the reluctor wheel itself isn't covered under the AEM warr4anty.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Recall Date

August 13, 2020

FCA Recall #

W58

NHTSA Recall #

20V-475

Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk

The magnetic material attached to the tone wheel provides a signal to the crankshaft position sensor. If this signal material is lost, the engine loses its ability to synchronize injector pulses and cam timing. This loss of crankshaft position can result in an engine stall, as well as loss of the ability to restart the engine. A loss of motive power can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning.

Repair Description

Update the powertrain control module software to maintain vehicle propulsion by reading the camshaft position signal in the event that crankshaft position signal is lost.

Recall Status

Incomplete but repair parts are not available
Get Notified When Parts are Available

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just when you thought FCA was getting out from behind the 8 ball it shoots itself in the foot.
I took the settlement because I paid 60,000$ for a truck that got 28mpg and could tow my 7,000lb + kubota, now I get 20mpg and can hardly get out of my driveway unless warmed up, but no way will I hook up a heavy trailer with the hills around here.

Cavet Empter

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Sp tje software fix does fix the stoppage, at least temporarily. But you permanently end up with software that makes the truck run like poo.

Then you are in a "fix".

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I agree. The only thing I can think of is since the sensor is covered under the AEM extended warranty, FCA pulled a quick one with Nhtsa saying the software fix takes care of the stalling hazard and the part is already covered under the AEM warranty. Owners who opted out will likely get the software update too along with the physical fix since they aren't included n the AEM extended warranty for sensor replacement. If that's the case it's total BS since the reluctor wheel itself isn't covered under the AEM warr4anty.
It would be good of Ram Cares to come back and correct or explain their statement.
Why leave us hanging?

·
Super Moderator
2,603 Posts
It would be good of Ram Cares to come back and correct or explain their statement.
Why leave us hanging?
That’s the point with these companies. Kick the can down the road far enough to get out of actually paying for the fix as I stated earlier. So Ultimately the customer will end up paying.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts