RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Sp tje software fix does fix the stoppage, at least temporarily. But you permanently end up with software that makes the truck run like poo.

Then you are in a "fix".
without the software change , if a piece of the reluctor wheel flys off , you need a tow , no way around it ,
with the update to the software , it uses camshaft position sensor instead of crankshat position sensor ,
just like a spare tire will get you to a place where you can fix the flat , that new flash can keep you going .
it will be a nice addition to the stock tuned ECM kept away from the truck , if I see P0336 code , in goes the
stock ECM to get me to a shop to replace reluctor ring , and back in goes the Golden Device Enhancement .

·
Super Moderator
2,602 Posts
without the software change , if a piece of the reluctor wheel flys off , you need a tow , no way around it ,
with the update to the software , it uses camshaft position sensor instead of crankshat position sensor ,
just like a spare tire will get you to a place where you can fix the flat , that new flash can keep you going .
it will be a nice addition to the stock tuned ECM kept away from the truck , if I see P0336 code , in goes the
stock ECM to get me to a shop to replace reluctor ring , and back in goes the Golden Device Enhancement .
I agree I will be doing the same but it doesn’t fix the actual problem (the reluctor ring). “Fixing the flat“ as you say Will cost owners not FCA who should be the one footing this bill.

Reactions: RAdiesel75

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I agree I will be doing the same but it doesn’t fix the actual problem (the reluctor ring). “Fixing the flat“ as you say Will cost owners not FCA who should be the one footing this bill.

Agreed......but if you have the software patch, you won't even know the reluctor ring magnet flew off......correct?

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Agreed......but if you have the software patch, you won't even know the reluctor ring magnet flew off......correct?
Brokedownbutgood explained that when the software has to use the camshaft sensor , there is 2 revolution
of the camshaft to 1 revolution of the crank , so the software will turn over the engine and will have to determine
if top dead center is on the proper turn before engine fires , longer cranking time , " probably " Limp Mode too .
just a corrective measure so you don't get stranded on a big traffic thruway and be a danger to yourself and others
to please NHTSA , now pay up , and get a same design ring again .

·
Super Moderator
2,602 Posts
Possibly, but does that fix the actual problem? No it doesn’t. FCA should be forced to actually fix the issue that they have admitted to be bad. Leaving that for the customer to pay for is a piss poor way to do business. If you’re ok with the software patch fine but I’m not.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I'm not OK with that either , but up here in Canada , FCA does not respect customers enough
to give us te AEM and $3075 , no extended warranty , no way to get the damn EGR from the dealer ,
they issue a recall and dealers don't even get enough parts to fix the trucks that leak , so others
who's EGR does not leak are looking at over 1 year to get the EGR on the recall program ,
hell of an urgency , they issue the recall but don't act on it , piss poor customer service .
so I was just commenting on the mechanical part of the event , not throwing flowers at FCA for sure .:(

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Possibly, but does that fix the actual problem? No it doesn’t. FCA should be forced to actually fix the issue that they have admitted to be bad. Leaving that for the customer to pay for is a piss poor way to do business. If you’re ok with the software patch fine but I’m not.
Oh I absolutely do not and cannot get their software patch as I'm GDE tuned and EGR deleted and do not have a spare ECM and don't want one. I don't have the AEM or any of their other software updates. I too want the mechanical fix....not a money saving software patch to save FCA money.
I was asking if someone gets the patch, will they even know if their magnet delaminated from the reluctor ring?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Oh I absolutely do not and cannot get their software patch as I'm GDE tuned and EGR deleted and do not have a spare ECM and don't want one. I don't have the AEM or any of their other software updates. I too want the mechanical fix....not a money saving software patch to save FCA money.
I was asking if someone gets the patch, will they even know if their magnet delaminated from the reluctor ring?
I’m guessing it would go like this: reluctor ring fails, ECM switches over to use cam sensor, check engine light appears, and possible limp home mode engages. Wouldn’t be surprised if it also did a “engine will not restart in xxx miles” setting as well.

I will also say that, if I am disqualified from getting a failed reluctor ring replaced under a recall by accepting the AEM update, I will be looking to sell this truck ASAP and will not do business with FCA again. This sets the precedent that FCA can have any type of defect on the truck, even if it‘s unrelated to the AEM, and not cover it for folks who did the legal thing and updated our trucks to be in EPA compliance. This three-time FCA customer will be gone forever.

·
Super Moderator
2,602 Posts
My guess Is that the truck will run with the cam sensor. The bigger question is if the truck runs fine with the cam sensor then why was a reluctor ring even used especially since it was installed in the hideous location it is?

Which makes me think that as others have suggested that it will be enough to satisfy someone with the NHTSA to keep it from totally stopping in an unsafe location but will screw the consumer because we will be on the hook for the proper repair.

·
Registered
987 Posts
W58 is a software update, as stated above. Most people fall into this category.
For people who opted out of the

W68 is only for people who opted out of V08 and the eco-diesel settlement as a whole.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
\
So W68 applies to those of us that own trucks that were not eligable for any of the software updates? I.E. 2017 or newer

·
Registered
128 Posts
I got the VB1 new EGR and VA7 software refresh recalls completed last week. When I picked up the paperwork, it also listed W58 recall and noted it cannot be completed yet because there is "no available parts."

Side note: I would say the VA7 does improve the dead pedal lag from the previous AEM software update. I only drove with it for a day & half before swapping in the GDE. The performance with GDE is still night & day.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Are you sure? That answer makes no sense to me.
How does opting in or out of V08 enter in? It has nothing to do with the reluctor ring.
If the owner has opted out of V08/settlement, they can't get W58 completed.
We don't respond on the weekends so I didn't get a chance to respond until today.

\
So W68 applies to those of us that own trucks that were not eligable for any of the software updates? I.E. 2017 or newer
No, only for people who opted out of V08/settlement.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
So W68 is the W58 flash for those who opted out because they didn't get the V08 Flash which includes W58?

·
Administrator
8,850 Posts
The V08 flash is included in the W58 flash. So, if the owner has opted out of V08/settlement, they can't get W58 completed.
We don't respond on the weekends so I didn't get a chance to respond until today.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
Thanks. Is the W68 a software update?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The V08 flash is included in the W58 flash. So, if the owner has opted out of V08/settlement, they can't get W58 completed.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
Thanks,
I've had the V08 and now have the W58 pending.
Still, a mystery regards the W68. Is that real or someone's typo?

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

·
Registered
987 Posts

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
So which recall effects those of us with 2017 or newer trucks? We got the crappy tune from day one that everyone else got paid for with the AEM, we just have no recourse to get any of the updates.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
So which recall effects those of us with 2017 or newer trucks? We got the crappy tune from day one that everyone else got paid for with the AEM, we just have no recourse to get any of the updates.
If I understand this, you should have the W58.
Look at Mopar or Carfax to see if you have any recalls pending?

Reactions: 97hmcs
21 - 40 of 74 Posts