RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
So W68 is the W58 flash for those who opted out because they didn't get the V08 Flash which includes W58?
W68 isn't a flash, it is a part replacement. But ONLY for people who have opted completely out of V08.

Thanks. Is the W68 a software update?
No, it is a part replacement.

So which recall effects those of us with 2017 or newer trucks? We got the crappy tune from day one that everyone else got paid for with the AEM, we just have no recourse to get any of the updates.
W58 is 2014-2019 model years. VINs are live so you can check at recalls.mopar.com if you are included.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
W58 is 2014-2019 model years. VINs are live so you can check at recalls.mopar.com if you are included.
Kaitlin
Ram Cares
FYI -See edit below

Edit:
Big error here! I apologize Ram Cares, wasn't even thinking and in haste, or brain fart, who knows at this age.
My 2020 is a Cummins, not an Eco - I'm editing my comments out.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
FYI - My 2020 has the W58 pending.
I would think you would know it includes 2014-2020.
John, is that showing on Mopar.com? How the hell do we still have defective tone wheels in 2020??!

Reactions: John Jensen

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
W68 isn't a flash, it is a part replacement. But ONLY for people who have opted completely out of V08.

No, it is a part replacement.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
What parts, specifically, are being replaced by the W68 recall?

Does V08‘s extended warranty already cover all of the parts being replaced by the W68 recall?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
John, is that showing on Mopar.com? How the hell do we still have defective tone wheels in 2020??!
Oh my goodness - brain fart! Good eye!
Of course not on my 2020. Half asleep I guess.
I will now go apologize to RamCares
Thanks Bill

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Something weird going on here. If the s/w flash is good enough for AEM engines why would FCA opt for the actual reluctor wheel which is expensive instead of the "free" flash???

Reactions: Havanajoe

·
Registered
833 Posts
What comes first the software or the hardware (chicken/egg)? Anyone confirm a hardware replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 18 isn't in the recall either...if it was manufactured past 3/1/18 it isn't in the recall.
So, do you think that means we already have the software flash to run off of the cam timing then?
I would think the later built trucks would have one or the other?

In fact, I thought @RamCares said it applied to model years 14-19.
Why then would it matter when it was built in 2018?
Wouldn't the recall apply to all 2018 trucks then?

·
Registered
46 Posts
So, do you think that means we already have the software flash to run off of the cam timing then?
I would think the later built trucks would have one or the other?

In fact, I thought @RamCares said it applied to model years 14-19.
Why then would it matter when it was built in 2018?
Wouldn't the recall apply to all 2018 trucks then?
The entire recall campaign includes 2014-2019 model years. This recall includes Jeep Grand Cherokees and Dodge Chargers as well as Ram 1500s. The last build date that is included for Rams is in March 2018. I apologize for the confusion, I did not double check the build date info until I saw your comment.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thank for clarifying this Katlin.
Because my truck is not included in this recall, I assume that means my truck already has the software update then?

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Longhorn 4x2, 2019 Jeep Warngler Sport 2dr, 2019 Harley Road Glide Ultra
37 Posts

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
Kaitlin @ Ram Cares: Pardon me if I have misunderstood, but why would Ram replace the reluctor wheel part (very expensive) for those owners who have opted OUT of the V08 AEM update, but for those owners who have complied with the V08 recall you would not replace the part, but instead shift the burden of this very expensive service to the compliant owner? Seems somewhat backwards if I am following all this, isn't it?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thank for clarifying this Katlin.
Because my truck is not included in this recall, I assume that means my truck already has the software update then?
Like NPRBoy stated, I think the post 3/1/18 trucks have a different supplier for the recultor wheel that just "might" not have the issue of magentic seperation. If I was a betting man, I would bet that the software only allows the engine not to stall once the crank position sensor signal gets corrupt. You really can't run an engine off of a signal cam sensor without some sort of crank reference.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wasn't aware they was an updated part.
I sure hope there is, but not sure how that could be verified.
For now it sounds like to keep on keeping on and hope there won't be an issue.
Thanks everyone for the replies.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I wasn't aware they was an updated part.
I sure hope there is, but not sure how that could be verified.
For now it sounds like to keep on keeping on and hope there won't be an issue.
Thanks everyone for the replies.
I don't think there is a separate/new part #, I think what happened was a run of defective parts (for years?)

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is exactly why I can't buy FCA. I was so close to going to try a 1500...I had a lemon back in 1990s and haven't gone back to Ram...I was on the fence but reading this makes me feel they haven't changed since the 90s!
😠😪🙁

41 - 60 of 74 Posts