RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you run home fuel oil in these motors?

·
Registered
274 Posts
He'll no. Heating oil is close to kerosene in most places if not kerosine itself. Motors with all these emissions and sensors to monitor it would freak out and you'd probably have a rough running truck if it ran at all. Now anything can be retrofitted to run on whatever especially in the diesel world( veggie oil, bio diesel, propane, CNG, hell crude oil even) the problem is all of the newer stuff is harder to do it on. Older trucks like the ford 7.3 will run on damn near anything you put in the tank.

·
Registered
396 Posts
They will run on off road diesel. It is the same as normal diesel just died red. It has no highway tax. There was a day when it was not ultra low sulfur but now it is all the same. it is illegal if you get caught. Depending on what you are doing will increase or decrease your odds. Around here DOT is the ones that would check.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Well.... LCR's answer is a little harsh. SO....

1) Will it run?? ... Absolutely.

2) Is it safe??... If it's ULS #2 heating oil.... YES!! Its safe.

3) IS IT LEGAL?? ABSOLUTLY NOT !!! Basically, with heating oil, you have not paid "Road Use Tax", and because of that... it's generally been dyed red. That makes it easy for the cops to find. FYI... you can thank Clinton for that one. AND, "off-road Diesel" is red also. (along with some Kero)

As a general rule.... #2 fuel oil, and #2 diesel are the same thing. (assuming they are both ULS) IF, it's low sulfur, or regular... that can destroy your DPF, and soot up the turbo, intake, EGR, and cause general ugliness.

Diesel #1, Heating oil #1, Kero, K-1, JP4, and Jet A are all Kerosene type fuels. They will also run in the engine. (Assuming ULS) Actually.... we cut Diesel #2 with Kero or #1 all winter long to help stop fuel gel, but you will see a drop in MPG.

Oh... and in a pinch... you can even use white spirits (mineral spirits) to run a diesel. But I don't think I would try that in a new engine.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The other day, I joked with the oil man. He said that home heating oil is not ULS. And, running off road, I believe if caught, is federal tax evasion.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
Harsh yes. Now if the oil is the #2 that's different it will be fine and run "different" diesels by design were supposed to run on peanut oil. Don't know why that changed. Basically because a diesel is compression ignition it can use anything combustible as a fuel. The questions you have to ask are will the pump pump it. Will it clog the fuel filters. Will it damage the injectors and will it leave a residue that will cause valve, or turbo deposits and I guess on these trucks DPF clogging. If you answered correctly for all those questions than run it. Whether or not it's legal to run said fuel( such as red fuel) is your risk.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Anyone who has their truck try running B20? 20% biodiesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
HEY ChooChooMan....

What flavor fuel do they use in the big trains?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Yes, I am an Engineer for CSX up in New England. And as far as fuel, I know it is dyed diesel, because the older engines have to be primed and started manually and you can see the fuel in the site glass. I don't know if it is ULS. I could always asked.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Yes, I am an Engineer for CSX up in New England. And as far as fuel, I know it is dyed diesel, because the older engines have to be primed and started manually and you can see the fuel in the site glass. I don't know if it is ULS. I could always asked.
Good enough. It was just a curiosity question. I didn't know if it was "Diesel" or "Bunker oil" or "Heavy Crude" for that mater.

I guess since they carry several thousand gallons... then don't miss it when you dip the tank for your Liberty. (lol)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts