RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 17 Laramie with 10k miles on it listed for $35k. It feels like a decent deal, but I'm a bit hesitant on reliability of FCA products. I'm aware it will need a tune when GDE has theirs ready. Planning on contacting the dealer tomorrow just to see what deal I can work out and rest drive it they are doing that sorry if thing with the lock down still kinda in effect.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Wecome to the site Jsparks351,
If buying from a FCA dealer , make sure the EGR cooler recall has been done
before taking possession of te truck ..
in the meantime you can read about a tune from Canada that turns EGR off , like the previous GDE tune did .
it is flashed to the truck using a hand held device , and you can use that same device to flash back the stock tune to the truck
for dealer visits .
GDE themselves advised to use those guys when the EPA shut them down in sept. 2019

post #9 from GDE about HD Diesel Supply

in that thread ==>> Out With One - In With SFT

----

$1378 CDN = $ 978.63 US ..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wecome to the site Jsparks351,
If buying from a FCA dealer , make sure the EGR cooler recall has been done
I checked the VIN and saw that it hasn't been done yet. It's a non Chrysler dealer and they have had the truck since the fall. If I get the truck that will be the first thing I do.
I'll definitely look into that Canadian tune.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
when you go see it , makesure the coolant bottle is high enough ,
lower than image and it can mean that there is missing coolant in engine and rad ,
because it will not go lower than in image here , at that point it builds air pockets in engine and rad .
see first post in here :

it is not a good sign when it is that low , as explained in the link .

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think you’ll find a Ram as reliable as any other pickup. I’ve owned ‘em all at one time or another - my absolute worst experience as with a GMC 6.5 diesel back in the day. You’ll find a Ram rides better than any other, and with the EcoD they will give excellent mileage to boot. I’d wait for GDE for a tune if it was me. Mines ran a tune for the last 40k miles (except Going to/from dealer for AEM mod) and it completely changes the nature of the beast for the better. I found their service to be excellent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts