RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I've been very disappointed to learn that the way our Trucks ABS/TC wiring was done does not invite the use of chains!

My elk trip coming up late this month requires traveling on some pretty gnarly roads ridden with snow and mud. In previous years we've often had to use chains, and not the cable type. I'm wondering if anyone out that has actually tried using chains (burly truck chains) on these trucks with any success or failure. Right now I have the Michelin M/S2s, they've been great tires but not what I'd consider All Terrain. Maybe some of you have experience with this tire/truck in muddy/snowy conditions without chains that will up my confidence.

Thanks for any input!

Giuseppe

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hello everybody,

I've been very disappointed to learn that the way our Trucks ABS/TC wiring was done does not invite the use of chains!

My elk trip coming up late this month requires traveling on some pretty gnarly roads ridden with snow and mud. In previous years we've often had to use chains, and not the cable type. I'm wondering if anyone out that has actually tried using chains (burly truck chains) on these trucks with any success or failure. Right now I have the Michelin M/S2s, they've been great tires but not what I'd consider All Terrain. Maybe some of you have experience with this tire/truck in muddy/snowy conditions without chains that will up my confidence.

Thanks for any input!

Giuseppe
I have Michelin Defender LTX M/S 2, I think they're the same as your tire, I strictly use them in the summer. I bought them in the late summer last year, and the pattern looked like it'd be pretty good in the snow, so I figured i'd run them through this first winter and buy snow tires the following fall so my wife didn't kill me for buying 2 sets of tires within a couple months, but, I used them in light snow twice at the beginning of the winter, my wife happened to be with me the second time, and the truck was all over the place. After going about a mile from our house we slid to a stop sign of the first major intersection and my wife looked at me and goes "maybe you should get those snow tires now instead of waiting."

I was really surprised at how terrible they were in the snow despite the tread design that has almost as much siping as a dedicated snow/ice tire. I Spoke with a buddy of mine who also runs Michelin M/S's as a summer tire and he told me they're really bad in the snow, they're great for the summer & towing, and they wear like iron, but don't run them in the snow. The only reason i can think they're so bad in the snow is because they're a hard 70,000 mile tire, and the rubber just gets harder when the temperature drops. I got a set of BFG KO2's for winter, and they are phenomenal in the snow.

·
Registered
13,023 Posts
GLM...Welcome - first post.

Do a search as I seem to remember the chain topic on here. As stated, some have used them.

If you think it's an AMS issue, don't stop - just go. Test and report back your results.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have done some research on chains and there seems to be an issue with certain types (i.e. high profile 'chain' types) and interference with the brake lines. Since my plans have changed and I no longer need these, I did not pursue this any longer. I was looking at the low profile cable types. There was one type that seemed to be acceptable for the Ram 1500 (mine is 2016). Re snow tires...just bought a set of Blizzacks. I have used these before on all of my cars and they are absolutely the BEST. I bought a set for my daughter and her SUV...even she was surprised.

·
Registered
79 Posts
yes....I do recall see the limitation to only 17" wheels. I will try to dig out the info I collected that supported the use in 20" wheels.

·
Administrator
8,506 Posts
yes....I do recall see the limitation to only 17" wheels. I will try to dig out the info I collected that supported the use in 20" wheels.
I vaguely remember seeing that but can't seem to find it. The owners manual only mentions the 17" wheel. I do remember some owners using chains on 20" wheels both front and back.

More from the OM:

TIRE CHAINS (TRACTION DEVICES)
Use of traction devices require sufficient tire-to-body
clearance. Follow these recommendations to guard
against damage.
• Traction device must be of proper size for the tire, as
recommended by the traction device manufacturer.

Please follow the table below for proper tire size, chain
type, and axle recommendations:

Vehicle Axle Recommendations Tire Sizes Chain Class
1500 Models Rear Only P265/70R17 S Class

CAUTION!

To avoid damage to your vehicle or tires, observe the
following precautions:
• Because of restricted traction device clearance between
tires and other suspension components, it is
important that only traction devices in good condition
are used. Broken devices can cause serious
damage. Stop the vehicle immediately if noise
occurs that could indicate device breakage. Remove
the damaged parts of the device before further use.

• Install device as tightly as possible and then retighten
after driving about ½ mile (0.8 km)
• Do not exceed 30 mph (48 km/h).

• Drive cautiously and avoid severe turns and large
bumps, especially with a loaded vehicle
• Do not drive for a prolonged period on dry pavement.

• Observe the traction device manufacturer’s instructions
on the method of installation, operating
speed, and conditions for use. Always use the
suggested operating speed of the device manufacturer’s
if it is less than 30 mph (48 km/h).

• Do not use traction devices on a compact spare tire.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have not tried cable chains but both light and heavy duty steel/alloy chains do not work on the front, at least not on my 20" wheel equipped 2015. They sort of work on the rear but as they loosen with use and as they warm up the brake line is a concern.

None of the 3 domestic 1/2 ton makers sanction the use of tire chains, front or rear, on current 1/2 ton trucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts